• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sharleentroutman OFFLINE  

sharleentroutman
  • Member No: 80552
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 03:12 PM

Hi! I am in need of help fixing my Gravely tractor. It was given to me as a gift from my grandfather a couple of years before he passed. (William Jack Mitchell). I think it is the engine that needs to be rebuilt possibly? Could go but a new tractor but would like to repair the one given to me. My grandpa was a huge fan of Gravely and traded and sold and repaired them for many many years. Please let me know if you are local and can help. I live in Wellsville KS. Thanks! Sharleen. 38000f22eecd718f4ce6d21f3e849dfb.jpg
  • limebuzz, EricFromPa, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,493 Thanks
  • 7,848 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 04:23 PM

Hi, welcome to forums. Wow! That is a real different rig! I have never seen one before. That can't be all that old. That seems to be a normal twin engine, should be able to be fixed or rebuilt if needed. I would have a shop look at that first and see if mouse nests in it or other odd things if it is not running. Just make sure they don't take advantage of you because you are female and don't know mechanics of things. Have you tried starting it?  What kinds of things happen?  If it has been outside for long time, might need new battery, better gas, cleaning of carb at least and as said, looking for mouses in shrouds and air cleaners first. Kinda neat machine and looks heavy made. Good luck!

• EricFromPa, Oldford and sharleentroutman have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,427 Thanks
  • 44,931 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 04:47 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! That is a unique Gravely you have there, never seen one of those. If I can figure out what it is, maybe we can get to the engine issues.

Looks like a model & serial will be needed to find a manual for this!

• EricFromPa and sharleentroutman have said thanks

#4 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 371 Thanks
  • 257 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 09:41 PM

What you have there is the Gravely pro master, it's part of the pro series lineup. I'm not overly familiar with them but I seem to remember hearing of the 50 and 60 series which I believe has to do with the mower deck size. If that's true then you have a 50 series due to the 50" deck.

The unit came with either a 16, 18 or 20 horse power Kohler magnum which any good small engine shop or mechanic should be able to work on.

I looked around sites that I frequent but was not able to find any manuals or IPL's for your machine. I did however find a brochure but it's not on this site. There is also nothing available here in the manual section.

With permission I will post a link to where I found the brochure. I'm not sure if it's against the rules to just put an external link to another tractor site.

• sharleentroutman said thank you

#5 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 371 Thanks
  • 257 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 10:42 PM

I was given the green light to post the link. As I said before it's just a sales brochure. 

http://www.mytractor...-1986-09-a.html

• sharleentroutman said thank you

#6 sharleentroutman OFFLINE  

sharleentroutman
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:52 AM

What you have there is the Gravely pro master, it's part of the pro series lineup. I'm not overly familiar with them but I seem to remember hearing of the 50 and 60 series which I believe has to do with the mower deck size. If that's true then you have a 50 series due to the 50" deck.
The unit came with either a 16, 18 or 20 horse power Kohler magnum which any good small engine shop or mechanic should be able to work on.
I looked around sites that I frequent but was not able to find any manuals or IPL's for your machine. I did however find a brochure but it's not on this site. There is also nothing available here in the manual section.
With permission I will post a link to where I found the brochure. I'm not sure if it's against the rules to just put an external link to another tractor site.

Thank you

#7 sharleentroutman OFFLINE  

sharleentroutman
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:56 AM

Hi, welcome to forums. Wow! That is a real different rig! I have never seen one before. That can't be all that old. That seems to be a normal twin engine, should be able to be fixed or rebuilt if needed. I would have a shop look at that first and see if mouse nests in it or other odd things if it is not running. Just make sure they don't take advantage of you because you are female and don't know mechanics of things. Have you tried starting it? What kinds of things happen? If it has been outside for long time, might need new battery, better gas, cleaning of carb at least and as said, looking for mouses in shrouds and air cleaners first. Kinda neat machine and looks heavy made. Good luck!

Thank you for you help and suggestions

#8 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 819 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Any good small engine shop should be able to get the old girl running again barring any major internal engine issues.  If you have any lady friends that are married, you can always have one of thier husbands go with you to the shop to set up the repair and make sure they follow thru.  I do this for my wife and a couple of her friends that have had issues in the past.  Some shops just cant get with the times and treat people fairly.  If you were near where I live, I would take a look at it as I am a small engine mechanic.  Mike