• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 crossarm OFFLINE  

crossarm
  • Member No: 80551
  • 58 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 05:21 PM

Kind of what I'm afraid of Kenny. Headed to the shop now to pull top plate off trans.

#17 crossarm OFFLINE  

crossarm
  • 58 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 06:34 PM

Ok guys I need help. Unscrewed the lever for the hi/lo and got all the bolts for top plate out but it does'nt want to come off. Does hi/lo cap come off or stay with it? What is holding it to trans? Thanks.

#18 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:31 PM

Ok guys I need help. Unscrewed the lever for the hi/lo and got all the bolts for top plate out but it does'nt want to come off. Does hi/lo cap come off or stay with it? What is holding it to trans? Thanks.

Don't know if I can help much.  My Hi-Lo lever and fork is homemade.  I manage to easily remove the lid after removing my collar.

After looking at the parts manual it would appear that you need to remove the collar from the shifting fork.   Rick

Edited by CRFarnsworth, February 09, 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#19 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:40 PM

Check out the manuals section.  There is a parts and price listing, and a service manual.  Should be very helpful.

I recently bought new bearings and seals for my Amigo.  The guy at the sales counter  just laughed at me when I asked him to sell everything at the 1961 price listing.

While you're at it if you decide to change the fluid, the manual calls for four quarts of 10w.     Rick 

Edited by CRFarnsworth, February 10, 2016 - 08:24 AM.

• crossarm said thank you

#20 crossarm OFFLINE  

crossarm
  • 58 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 05:32 PM

Got the collar off and the lid. One gear is worn but still very useable. Cant see any thing that looks wrong so still not sure why both wheels pull. Fluid looks like trans fluid. Cr I read in manual about the 4 qts 10w. Does that mean 10 weight motor oil? I wonder how that will work on the friction clutch of trans? Could you find 10w oil in 60's and can I find it now? Got the old oil draining and going to clean it all out good before putting new in. Everyones help is greatly appreciated. I sure like to see all these old tractors saved. 

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#21 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 05:17 PM

I have ATF in mine at the moment.  Doesn't seem to affect it yet. When I got mine the lid had been off for a long time, I filled mine clear to the top with ATF and let it sit for several days.  It has been flushed and filled and run with the ATF three times. Each time we get more crud out of it. 

That said ,I don't know exactly what type oil is recommended.  All it says is 10w.        Rick

#22 crossarm OFFLINE  

crossarm
  • 58 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 05:43 PM

John deere has sae 10w oil. Torque gard. Gonna pick up a gallon tomorrow. Will be riding the amigo this weekend!

• KennyP said thank you

#23 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:19 PM

John deere has sae 10w oil. Torque gard. Gonna pick up a gallon tomorrow. Will be riding the amigo this weekend!

Are you still having problems with turning?

Have you picked up the rear end and rotated the tires to see if the differential is functioning properly?

Is one of the brakes dragging? 

I'm getting mine back together. Should be on the floor and drivable tomorrow. 

But not until the snow is gone and it dries up a little.          Rick

#24 crossarm OFFLINE  

crossarm
  • 58 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:57 PM

Have it on jack stands and the cover still off. Have'nt had time to do alot. Been cleaning gears with kerosene. Everything seems to be in good cond. When I spin one back wheel the other spins in the same direction. Is that the way it should or should they spin opposite? I'm thinking one of the spider gears may be binding a little. Going to talk to a guy that builds race car rearends tomorrow. If all is good I will finish cleaning and fill with new oil, drive it a little and hope it frees up.

#25 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 08:05 AM

yes it should turn the opposite direction.  Hopefully it will free up on its own.

Good luck.     Rick

#26 crossarm OFFLINE  

crossarm
  • 58 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 09:25 PM

Great progress! Took the chunk out of the rearend and discovered po had put spider gears in wrong. They were working against themselves. Got the chunk all back together and clean. Next will clean the interior of the housing good and start the rebuild. All gears and bearings are in great shape which is amazing. Am going to make all new gaskets. Picked up the 10w oil at local jd dealer today. My tractor won't be as pretty as yours Rick. Planing on having it mechanically at least 90%. Maybe we should take a road trip on them. Ha ha.

#27 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,344 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Welcome to forum! You better BUY that if it is for sale. Very Rare and many want them. Parts hard to find, Don't part it tho, keep it whole. Maybe we will see it and you at shows then this summer??

If you need any parts try pattonacres.com,I know he had some stuff for them

#28 crossarm OFFLINE  

crossarm
  • 58 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 10:07 PM

Thank you. Am going to have it ready for our little local show in June. After that don't know if I will keep it or sell it. The chase is the exciting part for me. Love to find them, get them running well, play with them a while then let someone else enjoy them. This one is in really good shape. not sure why po went into rearend but it is going to be 100% when I get through. Engine runs really well and does'nt smoke at all. These lil tractors sure are addicting. As if yall had'nt noticed. Ha ha

#29 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Great progress! Took the chunk out of the rearend and discovered po had put spider gears in wrong. They were working against themselves. Got the chunk all back together and clean. Next will clean the interior of the housing good and start the rebuild. All gears and bearings are in great shape which is amazing. Am going to make all new gaskets. Picked up the 10w oil at local jd dealer today. My tractor won't be as pretty as yours Rick. Planing on having it mechanically at least 90%. Maybe we should take a road trip on them. Ha ha.

Glad you found what was wrong with it.   The weather has cleared and dry enough that I may get mine out today. 

Have you thought about going to the Ball Hollow Plow Day at Old Cowhand's place?  He's not that far from you.   If I decide to go I'll be going right through Hopkinsville.  Might have to arrange a meet and greet.     Rick

#30 crossarm OFFLINE  

crossarm
  • 58 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:20 PM

Don't know anything about the plow day but I'm interested. Let me know where and when. Be glad to meet when you come through. Bought a simplicity yard cart yesterday. In good shape but missing the tailgate.

• KennyP said thank you