Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just getting started - Need some advice!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jemarrio OFFLINE  

Jemarrio
  • Member No: 80505
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:22 AM

Hi folks, been lurking for a long time but am finally getting ready to take the plunge! I'm currently looking at 2 Massey's; an MF10 with no deck, needs a starter, probably a drive belt, nose ring is there but cracked, not the original seat for $200, and a 12 that is complete, including deck, but not currently running (ran last year). Don't know much else about that one, but looks to be in pretty good shape, asking $500. Keep in mind, these are Canadian dollars, which would make them almost free if I had US $ to pay with!!! Any advice for someone just starting down the collecting path? I would post some pics but not sure how from my phone..,,

Thanks all!
  • Traill95, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:40 AM

Welcome aboard. Is this the 10 your thinking about?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160206_102723.jpg
  • IMG_20160206_102709.jpg

• Traill95 said thank you

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:51 AM

:welcometogttalk:   Winning the lottery would be a good start to this hobby! :rolling:  It can get to be rather expensive.  On a more serious note, What are your mechanical skills?  It sounds like the 10 needs more of a restoration then the 12 which just needs some TLC and troubleshooting. 

• chieffan and Jemarrio have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,791 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:58 AM

Welcome to GTT. The MF probably has an OH140 Tecumseh engine. If it does, be aware that those ignition systems are very expensive when they fail. Check out our Manuals Section for info you may need. Good Luck, Rick

• chieffan and Jemarrio have said thanks

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:59 AM

Depending on your wants and skills you have to decide what tractor to go after, as stated the 10 sounds like more of a project, you could get it and spend some $$ over time and do allot of learning, usually what I do.  the 12 would be something to seriously look at and maybe dicker the price down a bit then get running and have fun.  I do like the look of the massey tractors but have never owned one.  good luck and post pics.

Pete

• boyscout862, chieffan and Jemarrio have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:59 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• boyscout862 and Jemarrio have said thanks

#7 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 632 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 12:14 PM

Welcome from Ontario.......

Just my opinion, but for a non running tractor, I wouldnt pay more than $200, even in Canadian dollars. If you look around, there are some deals to be had. 

• Jemarrio said thank you

#8 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 12:26 PM

If you get a tecumseh and the ignition fails, most of the time it is from cranking it without a grounded spark plug . Or putting the battery leads on backward. But they can still just go. I can tell you how to make your own for abut 30 bucks if you don't mind working on it. There are options! I have a few solid state ignition modules laying around here too I can hook you up with. I don't charge crazy money for them like them guys on ebay. I charge 75 bucks for them not 225. That's crazy. Anyways don't let it scare you away they can be repaired
  • limebuzz, sacsr, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Welcome,,, be patient and keep looking! $200 is rich for a non running tractor. Where are you located, might be someone on here that may have a lead on a running unit.

• boyscout862 and Jemarrio have said thanks

#10 Jemarrio OFFLINE  

Jemarrio
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 01:46 PM

Thanks all for the feedback! Limebuzz, yep, that's the one. I thought it looks promising but I haven't seen it in person yet due to the distance, and thought I'd see what the voice(s) of experience think. Is it yours, or have you looked at it too? I'm in east-central Ontario, and haven't had much luck around here yet.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 01:49 PM

Are these hydro, or at least the 16?  or variable speed manuals?  Hydros are nicer when done. These are nice tractors, a little different to tear down, be careful of left-hand threaded things in tower and the drive pulleys.  I would get parts  and owners or service manuals and read thru them and study before attacking the job. Most Mf's have broken headlight ring and dash areas, plastic.  That does not sound like a good price on either one to me with issues.  As stated by others, the bigger one sounds like less work and $$ to fix. More simple brand of tractor to fix for first timers is Wheelhorse.  Not sure if they are up North though. Watch ads now, spring coming, maybe better deals will pop-up once it warms up some. Go to shows and swap-meets too for good deals.

#12 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 02:45 PM

Yes. This is the one I'm selling.

#13 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,868 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 03:26 PM

Welcome aboard Jemarrio. If you can get them the manuals are invaluable.

#14 Jemarrio OFFLINE  

Jemarrio
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 05:03 PM

Yes. This is the one I'm selling.

Wow, small world; I was just admiring your collection in the "show us your Massey" thread the other day! I figured you were a collector when you were so thorough and forthcoming with the details; now I just need to figure out when/how I can take a look at it.

#15 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 05:52 PM

Nah, just grew up with masseys. I like to tell the most I can when selling, i've been down the road before I sellers that don't know what they are trying to sell,And ju looking to screw everyone over. And for everyone that thinks $200 is too much for a decent tractor that has ran a few few ago in this shape!?!? I'd just like to know where all these cheap running tractors are? You can't find too many parts tractors for $200 these days. I know,everyonr h their own opinion on what a tractor is worth.