• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 03:08 AM

I've been using my 416S for almost nothing but snow plowing lately, I'm running a set of filled 23-10.50x12 BKT AG tires with an additional 50lbs of wheel weight on each rear wheel.
About two years ago I replaced both belts, both belts were ordered online, from an OEM supplier.
I was pushing snow last week and started to loose forward motion. 

The snow was drifted up over my head in one place, but it was wet and packed. I figured I'd make a cut through the middle and start working it off to each side of the drive. As I started pushing, the whole pile started to just slide on the loose pack underneath. By the time I hit the end of the driveway I had what looked like an iceberg ahead of the plow. By that time it was starting to really struggle, both rear tires were pawing at the asphalt below and I had the throttle bumped all the way up. At the very end of the drive I broke through the middle of the pile and shoved it down into the ditch on the other side of the road. I backed back down the drive to take another try at the huge pile, only this time it just slipped. I backed it back down to where I started and raised the seat to find that the outer casing of the belt had broken, only the rubber inner core of the belt was still intact.

The main belt was fine, but a bit glazed.

My question is, how long should a belt last? I got roughly 2 years, but only about 30 hours of use out of it. It was hard use though. The first season with it I plowed up a half acre garden, used it to spread driveway stone that same summer, and plowed about 20 smaller snow storms that year. This year it only had to plow once so far, and I broke the belt. I never felt it slip before, it just broke all at once.

I've actually been pretty impressed with what this thing will move, nothing seems to stop it. The first year I used it, with original belts still in place, I was breaking up new sod for a garden at a buddies place, it came to a sudden stop and started digging in, I backed up, gave it another shot and unearthed a badly rusted old 6 cylinder engine block.

I couldn't believe it pulled it up out of the ground. I've also used it to pull out about 15 bushes that made up a hedge row on one side of the yard last fall.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 03:46 AM

Wow! That 416S is doing the job. Not sure how long the belts should last, though.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Older belts seemed to last forever.
New ones seem to need replacing at 5 years?

My only suggestion, a couple of our sponsors sell belts and will tell you the difference between what they sell.
I know Bolens 1000 has done a lot of research to make sure the belts he sells are the best bang for the buck, and I'm sure the others have as well.
  • Bolens 1000 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:31 AM

I've been using my 416S for almost nothing but snow plowing lately, I'm running a set of filled 23-10.50x12 BKT AG tires with an additional 50lbs of wheel weight on each rear wheel.
About two years ago I replaced both belts, both belts were ordered online, from an OEM supplier.
I was pushing snow last week and started to loose forward motion. 

The snow was drifted up over my head in one place, but it was wet and packed. I figured I'd make a cut through the middle and start working it off to each side of the drive. As I started pushing, the whole pile started to just slide on the loose pack underneath. By the time I hit the end of the driveway I had what looked like an iceberg ahead of the plow. By that time it was starting to really struggle, both rear tires were pawing at the asphalt below and I had the throttle bumped all the way up. At the very end of the drive I broke through the middle of the pile and shoved it down into the ditch on the other side of the road. I backed back down the drive to take another try at the huge pile, only this time it just slipped. I backed it back down to where I started and raised the seat to find that the outer casing of the belt had broken, only the rubber inner core of the belt was still intact.

The main belt was fine, but a bit glazed.

My question is, how long should a belt last? I got roughly 2 years, but only about 30 hours of use out of it. It was hard use though. The first season with it I plowed up a half acre garden, used it to spread driveway stone that same summer, and plowed about 20 smaller snow storms that year. This year it only had to plow once so far, and I broke the belt. I never felt it slip before, it just broke all at once.

I've actually been pretty impressed with what this thing will move, nothing seems to stop it. The first year I used it, with original belts still in place, I was breaking up new sod for a garden at a buddies place, it came to a sudden stop and started digging in, I backed up, gave it another shot and unearthed a badly rusted old 6 cylinder engine block.

I couldn't believe it pulled it up out of the ground. I've also used it to pull out about 15 bushes that made up a hedge row on one side of the yard last fall.

How about a photo of your 416S as I have no idea what tractor your talking about.  There are thousands of numbers out there with hundreds of brand names.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 09:27 AM

How about a photo of your 416S as I have no idea what tractor your talking about.  There are thousands of numbers out there with hundreds of brand names.

It's an Allis!

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 09:51 AM

If the correct belt is matched for the job you should get about 3-5 years from a tiller application and about 5-8+ years from a regular mower belt or drive belt.

Sounds like you dont have the right replacement installed on your machine

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 10:13 AM

I wasn't able to find a pic of that tractor, but here is a pic of the same model from TractorData.com

Attached Thumbnails

• image.png

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 01:57 PM

Yeah! we need ID in these posts. Was thinking same thing. Had to go back up and see what forum it was on to see brand!  Bolens especially get me wondering with all the numbers, sometimes diff ones for same machine.  Allis kinda hard too. OK, I'm done, Carry On! :smilewink:

#9 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 04:41 AM

What I found strange is that the belt snapped in the middle, it didn't burn up or come apart in strands. The corded casing broke almost opposite of what appears to be a diagonal seem.

It never slipped, it just snapped. The original belt was on there when I got it a few years ago, I only changed it because the main main belt from the BGB was slipping. I'd have just stuck the old belt back on it but I think I used it on my 3410s when I first got it running last year. I think its still on that tractor but I only cut grass with that one so it never gets much abuse.

The belt I found locally was branded D&D Industrial Belts, it looked ok but we'll see. At least its the right profile.

No clue where it was made but any belt is better than no belt right now.