Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone here use a Hobart 140 mig welder?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 09:16 PM

I am looking at getting a wire feed welder. Been looking for used but only find the 100 amp and lower ones used areound here. I have been comparing makes and models online and it seems the Hobart 140 is a good choice. Anybody here have one of them and how do you like it or do you have a better recommendation for a 140 amp, 110 volt wire feed. I have an oxy acetylene torch and a 225 amp stick welder now. I would like to stay with a 110 volt wire feed for portability. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Mike

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 05:08 AM

I have a Hobart 140, it works great for what I need. I have only used flux cored wire with it so far and as long as I don't use an extension cord it welds pretty good. I want to get a gas bottle for it and start using regular wire. It is plenty for 1/4", I have done 3/8" and it did good but with the flux cored wire the penetration just isn't there.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 06:07 AM

It would be hard for me to say what is right for you,I have a Miller 251 Millermatic,220volt.I use solid wire and argon/co2 mix for welding steel,and straight argon for welding aluminum.I use .035 wire.For me,this is the right set up as I do a lot of fabrication work.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 09:16 AM

My brother has a 140 Handler & loves it. He does bodywork with his on up to 3/8" steel and does fine with it.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 07:35 PM

I am going to be getting a bottle for mine here before long but I would imagine with a bottle of mixed gas it will be a great little welder. It does good now but I want the bottle to clean the weld up more and also get a little more penetration for the thicker metals.

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 - 08:04 AM

Well guys I have saved up enough cash that I am ordering a new Hobart 140 welder today. I am also getting an auto darkening helmet. For now I am going to use flux core wire but intend to add a bottle sometime soon. I have a couple projects in mind that a wire feed would be a great help on. The first thing on my list is to widen out a couple rear tractor rims to work with the titan tru power 26x12x12 I just bought. I am planning on building another articulated 4 wheel drive using a couple of Cub Cadet 147s and a 149 parts tractors. I will be putting Massey 10 sheet metal on it.