• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Cjet69 ONLINE  

Cjet69
  • Member No: 68442
  • 181 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 10:26 PM

I picked up a John Deere GT225 that was used to mow rocks . The blades look like a snakes tongue and they destroyed the deck.

100_8607 (Medium).JPG

100_8608 (Medium).JPG

100_8609 (Medium).JPG

100_8610 (Medium).JPG

100_8592 (Medium).JPG

100_8613 (Medium).JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_8592 (Medium).JPG

Edited by Cjet69, February 08, 2016 - 10:30 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 11:00 PM

You mentioned the abuse that this machine took, another kind that should own a condo instead of a home with a yard are the ones that let their grass get knee high and then try to bag it... take a step, kill the mower, start the mower, take a step, repeat, dump bag every 5th or 6th step, repeat. Or they come knocking on my door asking me to do it with my ZTR or my commercial duty Bunton walk behind when I had those, because "oh they do such a great job" on heavy grass. I probably mow my own yard 4 or 5 times for each time they go out to butcher theirs.

My old neighbor was exactly like that!  The push mower would start and run a bit until it either got clogged from the high grass or overheated..  Then we would hear the repeated pulls as they tried to start it again..  It went on all day long..  They were in the process of selling their house when the mower died for good..  I mowed their lawn for about 4 months after that then I also kept it up for the folks that bought it as they were still working /  living about 70 miles away and didn't have time to take care of things..  He's retired now and spends lots of time on the lawn after I talked him into buying a 455..  It looks great now..  My other neighbor has an Allis "C" with a 6' woods mower he uses along with a SCAG zero turn..  I replaced the head gasket on the A/C last fall..  That thing is indestructible!  Folks from work have been sending work my way as well..  Chain saws /  weed whackers etc etc..  I just repaired an old Ariens snowblower..  I was going to rebuild the carb but while looking for a kit I found a whole new carb for $14 & free shipping..  Another satisfied customer!

Hanging around with you tractor and engine nuts is paying off!   :wave:

Now I gotta get my van's motor running right..  something went very not-right when I installed new head gaskets on it..  I'm hoping the plugs..  We'll see this weekend..  Someday a thread will arrive on it if I can ever get it fixed!  

#18 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Surprisingly my deck was still in good condition.  I was actually surprised that the blades were that bad as I looked the deck over for the usual holes and tear places.  Even the bearings are good and don't think they have been replaced for some time.  Picking up the motor for the tractor tomorrow.  Then a stop at the mower shop to get the steering bushings and a hydro belt.  That will get the tractor running and that is the first step.  Won't need the mower for a few days, weeks or a couple months at least.