17 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 05:36 PM

About an month ago or more I picked up a Cub Cadet LT 1018 with a bad motor, good hydro? for $50.  Put the snow removal tractors down in the machine shed a pulled the Cub up to the shop and onto the table.  First step was to remove the deck.  Quick attach so came off quick.  One pulley fit a little loose but the bearings felt good.  Turned it over and - WOW !  The blades looked like they were trying to level a rock quarry !  I have seen some beat up blade in my life but these were by far the worst.Blades-1.JPG    Blades-2.JPG

The one flange washer does not go into the grease seal far enough either so it could not have been mowing level.  Will get into that later.  Hood can off followed by the muffler and unhooked the wiring.  Unplugged the electric clutch and dropped it off.  Fuel line, throttle and choke cables came off.  The started on the motor mount bolts.  Left rear came real easy - was twisted off about 1/4" from the head washer.  Front two were easy to get to with the impact.  Then found the right rear.  Could not get on it with anything but a wrench.  Gear Wrench had to much play between notches to work.  Finally got an offset box end that would get about 1/8 of a turn, the an open end for an 1/8.  Fought this for a while and though there has to be a better way.  Then I remembered I still had the old Chevy distributor wrench from 20+ years ago.  Just what I needed.  Removed the bracket on the outside of the frame and used that wrench to remove the motor mount bolt,- one flat at a time.  Naturally the last 3 or 4 turns were the only ones that I could get with my fingers.  With everything loose I lifted the motor off the frame and set it on the front tire - KLUNK !  Got down on the ground and pick up the motor - KLUNK.  Set it on the shop floor - KLUNK.  I picked it up and watched the top of the fly wheel cover screen.  As I picked up the motor the screen went down about 1/16" or a little more.  Talk about end ply in a crank that one sure has it.  An old B&S Inteck 18.5 hp.  Oil in it was black and thick.  Knew it was probably junk so no big deal. Good parts motor.  Have another B&S 18 hp Vanguard to go in after I do some clean up of course.  Need to work on the steer while it is apart also.  Will put on new Hydro belt too while it will go on easy like.

Motor on Floor.JPG   Tractor Frnt.JPG   Tractor Left.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 05:51 PM

So now you have a LT1018 with a Vanguard engine. Kinda like a Chev. with a Caddy engine.

• KennyP, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 05:51 PM

My Great Uncle who lived next door, would scalp the rocks with his mower when we were kids. When we heard his mower start, we would stop what we were doing and just listen. We would laugh and man was it loud! He always had a pipe in his mouth and seemed to always be looking at the sky when he mowed....not a care in the world.
  • boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer, Oldford and 1 other said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 05:55 PM

I bet they thought it was shot cause it wouldn't cut the grass anymore!

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 05:59 PM

I bet they thought it was shot cause it wouldn't cut the grass anymore!

PO said he was " mowing" and it started to smoke real bad.  He shut it off and pushed it to the garage an took it apart and found a push rod was off.  Don't know if the smoke was coming from the engine or the belt because the blade was wedged against a bolder !

• boyscout862 and BNK have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Just like cars, just drive till they are dead!  What maintainance?  Long as gas goes in and it starts, that is all that is needed. Oil? What oil?  Didn't they put that in at the shop before delivery??? 

• boyscout862, Bmerf, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 07:07 PM

That deck looks like how I mow, I run everything and anything over, I treat my lawn mower like a dozer. Of course I don't use my garden tractors like that
  • Oldford and chieffan have said thanks

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 824 Thanks
  • 470 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 11:09 PM

I didn't realize my wife ever mowed with a cub.

Edited by MiCarl, February 06, 2016 - 11:10 PM.

• MH81, Oldford and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 09:03 AM

So now you have a LT1018 with a Vanguard engine. Kinda like a Chev. with a Caddy engine.

Real close but not quite.  Only difference between a Chevy and Caddy engine is the stamping on the valve cover, the color of paint and the cost of the parts.

• toppop52 said thank you

#10 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 10:46 AM

Real close but not quite.  Only difference between a Chevy and Caddy engine is the stamping on the valve cover, the color of paint and the cost of the parts.

Maybe today, but not from the 70's and back.

#11 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 01:47 PM

You got to work on the steering? Worn steering shaft bushing? If so try a pillar block bearing if you have the room to mount. Some come with grease fittings.
  • chieffan said thank you

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 04:18 PM

That deck looks like how I mow, I run everything and anything over, I treat my lawn mower like a dozer. Of course I don't use my garden tractors like that

Can tell how a guys takes care of his equipment but the looks of the dash in his truck and clutter around his yard.

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 04:23 PM

You got to work on the steering? Worn steering shaft bushing? If so try a pillar block bearing if you have the room to mount. Some come with grease fittings.

Did the steering this morning.  Nothing wrong with the shaft bushing.  All the play was in the flange Bushing that rides in the slot in the quadrant.  Rotated it 90° and it was as good as new, except for a little wear in the ball joints.  Adjusted the toe in and all back together.  Clean up the front part in the morning so it can dry good and be ready to set the motor back in.  No room to even think about a pillar block bearing unless it was mounted pat way up the shaft some place.  Battery goes in that area too.

• BNK said thank you

#14 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 07:28 AM

It was a GT1554 I seen that done to, he stopped by to ask if I could do some welding to his mowing deck. I have replaced a few bushings on the newer Cubs in the past LT & GT series. I thought the pillar block was a good idea when I seen it.
  • chieffan said thank you

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 01:32 PM

You mentioned the abuse that this machine took, another kind that should own a condo instead of a home with a yard are the ones that let their grass get knee high and then try to bag it... take a step, kill the mower, start the mower, take a step, repeat, dump bag every 5th or 6th step, repeat. Or they come knocking on my door asking me to do it with my ZTR or my commercial duty Bunton walk behind when I had those, because "oh they do such a great job" on heavy grass. I probably mow my own yard 4 or 5 times for each time they go out to butcher theirs.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks