22 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,120 Thanks
  • 8,285 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Rick,

job well done with the elder neighbour , nice to see people still care though & WHERE"S my SNOW , i want some NOW plz m8

now i am understanding this right that snowed tree's make for widow makers as it's said ( branches break & main & kill people & such ??

Shane 

The snow weighs down the branches and the cold makes the wood more brittle. I caught part of a story on the news last night that a little girl was out working on a snowman when a big branch snapped, dropped on her, and killed her. Very sad. Several other trees falling on people accidents too. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, Oldford and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#17 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,663 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:33 AM

sorry to hear about the deaths

here in aussie we call widow makers, when felling a tree & it gets hung up on another tree instead of falling clear to ground , no telling if or when there going to break free & fall or felling in windy weather, too dangerous 

how much weight to a 2 gal bucket of snow roughly ??

much the same as water ?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,663 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:36 AM

Widow makers are silent death. Many of them don't even snap when they let go,
It happens more with snow, but any dead branch can fall at any time and with snow load, even the weak ones can go.

I have had a close call cutting down trees too. I forgot to hear my Dad tell me to always look us and inspect for dead limbs.

the looking part was drummed into us aswell , as dad used to say, looking up wont break ya neck boy but not looking might kill ya 

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,120 Thanks
  • 8,285 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:51 AM

A gallon of water is about 8 pounds. Snow varies, we usually figure snow at 10% water but this stuff is more like 20% and when compacted, 50%. It also packs well(sticks to itself) which is why this stuff jams blowers. We call hung up trees and branches "widow makers" too. It just seems to be a term used on anything that is left hazardous and is unperdictable. I've heard boulders, left on steep slopes, called "widow makers". Be glad you don't have the snow now but, maybe in your next winter. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 07, 2016 - 08:52 AM.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 7,836 Thanks
  • 5,524 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 09:15 AM

I had to leave a "widow maker" in the timber last fall. A dead Oak about 28" diameter at the base.  Had a clear path for it to fall in guess I miscalculated the wind at the top.  When it started to go over it went about 4' further to the left and hung up in another smaller Oak.  Could not get on it with the loader to push it over due to a large dead branch right above where I had to be to push it.  Haven't been back up there to check on it yet.  Neighbor owns the timber and he and his help is aware of it.  We looked at it and thought it best to let it be and come down on it's own.  Hated that as there is half a winters wood supply in that tree.

• MH81, boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#21 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,390 Thanks
  • 4,141 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 10:42 AM

We got 2" of wet snow from that storm, it rained all night and changed over at daybreak Friday. It was all about gone by day's end, as it got to 47°.

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#22 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,968 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:11 AM

Good for you Rick, helping your Neighbor! :thumbs:  That stuff sure looks like a pain to have to deal with.  I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it, although we may get a dusting tomorrow night into Tuesday.  Probably shut down the northern part of the state.  :rolling:   I do have to admit that since the 2014 snow jam that happened the state has really upped it's ability to deal with the white stuff.  Hope you were able to get your fire wood you needed.  

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#23 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,491 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 03:40 PM

Saw this sign on a bill board in town last week.

Let it snow
Let it snow
Let it snow.
Somewhere else!

It snowed again last night around 8p.m. Started with a light drizzle of rain and now there is another 5" of the white stuff. I'll be getting the J.D.4040 with the snow blower on it going tomorrow after it freezes dry some.
  • KennyP, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks