• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 coinman66 ONLINE  

coinman66
  • Member No: 72594
  • 163 Thanks
  • 273 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Engine seemed to run decent until this smoke started blowing out crankcase breather. I also noticed gas being sprayed out of carb, making it run rough now. Would a sloppy throttle shaft cause all this? Took head off and there is a little carbon build up but not too bad. Piston can be rocked a hair in cylinder but nothing extreme. I poured some Seafoam and Marvel's Mystery oil on top of piston. Maybe it's a ring seized up on one side? Any other opinions?

Edited by coinman66, February 06, 2016 - 11:02 PM.

#17 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:34 AM

Sounds like its time for a rebuild. The engine will 100% need bored for a larger piston, these Kohler engine always wear the cylinder egg shape so just putting new rings in won't help. You can buy a rebuild kit off eBay that includes a new piston, rings, connecting rod,valves and gasket set for about $120, as long as the crank bearings are in good shape they can be reused or you can replace them for about $60. Disassemble the engine and take it to the machine shop and they will check everything so you know what size piston and connecting rod you need to order, you should be able to rebuild the engine for well under $500 provided you can do all the work except machining yourself.

heres a kit for your engine, i buy all my stuff from this seller and have had no issues at all.

http://www.ebay.com/...ezTIUIP-h1WvNOg

Edited by olds45512, February 07, 2016 - 11:41 AM.

#18 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:52 AM

"K" engines don't have bearing inserts....Thats why you get a new rod in the kit. Take it apart and check crank to see if its scored, then determine if it needs turned down 10 thou or not....Then order your kit. If boring the block, wait until you get your oversized piston, then machine shop can bore to the right size

#19 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:54 AM

"K" engines don't have bearing inserts....Thats why you get a new rod in the kit. Take it apart and check crank to see if its scored, then determine if it needs turned down 10 thou or not....Then order your kit. If boring the block, wait until you get your oversized piston, then machine shop can bore to the right size

I suggest taking the block to the machine shop before ordering the piston so they can measure it and tell you what size piston needs to be ordered.