• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chrispg OFFLINE  

chrispg
  • Member No: 78828
  • 129 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 09:51 PM

Have made some progress on my Simplicity tractors and implements. I've gone a bit fast but it has been a blast.

There some early pictures here and in progression.

Some detail work to get done. I have all the wheel weights and front weights for both tractors.

I found the coulter for the plow and need to sand blast it and get it together with the plow.

I'm not sure if I can use the rototiller in the picture on the "V" or not, Need to figure that out.

Waiting on Idler arm bracket and spring for the smaller "D" tractor. Then I will fabricate the idler arm. Then I can run the rell mower. I still need to make the hardwood rollers

Ran the sickle bar on the "V" and it works good. I need to grease everything up. Got the carb rebuilt kit coming and I hope it has the the needle valve seat that goes into the fuel bowl because it was cracked and leaking fuel.

Next project is a the Danville seeder which I all the parts either here or coming.

Then I have my eye on a "W" with a snow-blower and a 30" rototiller.

IMG_4140.JPG IMG_4324.JPG IMG_4331.JPG IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4589.JPG Pre Sandbalsting Boxes of Parts.JPG IMG_4482.JPG IMG_0608.JPG Cultivator Crank Handle Rehab.JPG IMG_4500.JPG IMG_0606.JPG IMG_4499.JPG IMG_4501.JPG IMG_4502.JPG IMG_4591.JPG IMG_4636.JPG IMG_4637.JPG IMG_4638.JPG IMG_4639.JPG IMG_4640.JPG IMG_4641.JPG IMG_4642.JPG IMG_4643.JPG IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4645.JPG IMG_4646.JPG IMG_4647.JPG IMG_4648.JPG IMG_4649.JPG IMG_4650.JPG IMG_4651.JPG IMG_4652.JPG IMG_4653.JPG IMG_4654.JPG IMG_4655.JPG IMG_4656.JPG IMG_4657.JPG IMG_4658.JPG IMG_4659.JPG IMG_4660.JPG IMG_4661.JPG IMG_4662.JPG IMG_4663.JPG IMG_4664.JPG IMG_4665.JPG

Edited by chrispg, February 05, 2016 - 10:10 PM.

• Gtractor, LPBolens, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 nittanylyn OFFLINE  

nittanylyn

• Member No: 6018
  • 24 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 09:59 PM

Holy smokes!! You have done a great job on these. Looks like an assembly line. 

Do you have the "W" already? You will really like it as I have two of them. Lots of power.

Thanks for posting the pics

• Alc, boyscout862 and chrispg have said thanks

#3 chrispg OFFLINE  

chrispg
  • 129 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 10:05 PM

Holy smokes!! You have done a great job on these. Looks like an assembly line. 

Do you have the "W" already? You will really like it as I have two of them. Lots of power.

Thanks for posting the pics

Thanks very much, its been a bit of an odyssey!

I do not have the "W" yet. I want to get a few details rapped up and the seeder done. Then negociations will start with the current owner.

Best, Chris 

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 10:17 PM

Oh, those are nice.
Makes me want to get my powertrac back out.
  • chrispg said thank you

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 11:47 PM

i used to have one of the tillers, its known as a 12" offset. You usually powered it with a small tractor like a B or an L, ones that had 1 1/2 to 2 3/4hp. The belt that ran the ground drive was used to power the tiller unit also, it was just way longer. I ran mine for yrs until the chain broke in the case. this chain doesn't have a connector link its all one piece. The bushings were worn out, so I replaced them, but later on the small sprocket broke in half, and I couldnt find another with a 9 tooth in that size and put in an 8, but it never worked as good again.

• Gtractor, MH81 and chrispg have said thanks

#6 chrispg OFFLINE  

chrispg
  • 129 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 12:11 AM

i used to have one of the tillers, its known as a 12" offset. You usually powered it with a small tractor like a B or an L, ones that had 1 1/2 to 2 3/4hp. The belt that ran the ground drive was used to power the tiller unit also, it was just way longer.

Aaaaahhhh, We were wondering how the belt would run. One, big, long, squirrelly belt! Makes sense! How does the tiller work when its working?

The picture of the ID plate is below. It got sandblasted off by mistake! OUCH!

Well, maybe I can rig it to the "D". We will see about that then. I got a big bag of belts with the V purchase, maybe there will be one in there. Thanks for the tip!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4466.JPG

Edited by chrispg, February 06, 2016 - 12:13 AM.

• MH81 and Lauber1 have said thanks

#7 chrispg OFFLINE  

chrispg
  • 129 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 01:18 AM

i used to have one of the tillers, its known as a 12" offset. You usually powered it with a small tractor like a B or an L, ones that had 1 1/2 to 2 3/4hp. The belt that ran the ground drive was used to power the tiller unit also, it was just way longer. I ran mine for yrs until the chain broke in the case. this chain doesn't have a connector link its all one piece. The bushings were worn out, so I replaced them, but later on the small sprocket broke in half, and I couldnt find another with a 9 tooth in that size and put in an 8, but it never worked as good again.

How does the tiller stay perpendicular to the tractor (or straight with) when it is hitched with the rear pin?

#8 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 06:27 AM

How does the tiller stay perpendicular to the tractor (or straight with) when it is hitched with the rear pin?

See the two flat head bolts behind the hitch pin holes in the tiller? They end up between the brackets the handle bars mount to.

Do you have the manuals for all this stuff?

Garry

• Lauber1 and chrispg have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Everything looks really good ! Your doing a great job
  • chrispg said thank you

#10 nittanylyn OFFLINE  

nittanylyn

• 24 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Chris - I have the same tiller for my "LC" and it actually does work very well running off of one belt. It was my first walk behind and at the time used it to till a fairly good sized garden. 

Only problem I had was I broke a shear pin inside the case and had to dig thru all the grease to find it. 

By the way, what color did you use?

• Alc said thank you

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 10:03 AM

See the two flat head bolts behind the hitch pin holes in the tiller? They end up between the brackets the handle bars mount to.

Garry

yes you have to adjust them out to get the tiller centered and the belt to track right. My tiller was on an L series tractor also. worked get. I ended up putting a larger pulley on its drive, and used it in the tomato field for yrs before it broke. looking back it might have been because I up the hp to 5 from its orginal 2 3/4.

• chrispg said thank you

#12 chrispg OFFLINE  

chrispg
  • 129 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 12:02 PM

Garry

Thanks for letting me know about that!

I don't have manuals for everything.... Need for the Rototiller, disc, "V" tractor.

#13 chrispg OFFLINE  

chrispg
  • 129 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 12:03 PM

Chris - I have the same tiller for my "LC" and it actually does work very well running off of one belt. It was my first walk behind and at the time used it to till a fairly good sized garden. 

Only problem I had was I broke a shear pin inside the case and had to dig thru all the grease to find it. 

By the way, what color did you use?

Thanks Nittany, much appreciated.

I used Dulpicolor Chevy Red/Orange DE1607. I have been told this is the closest to pre-1963 Simplicity Red.

• Alc said thank you

#14 nittanylyn OFFLINE  

nittanylyn

• 24 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 01:32 PM

Thanks Nittany, much appreciated.

I used Dulpicolor Chevy Red/Orange DE1607. I have been told this is the closest to pre-1963 Simplicity Red.

Good to know as my LC is from 1959. If you don't find the manuals on here, let me know and I can provide them (and I'm sure others on here could too) for the 12" tiller and the disc. I originally got mine from Simplicity's website but not sure if you can still do that or not.

• chrispg said thank you

#15 chrispg OFFLINE  

chrispg
  • 129 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 10:09 PM

Good to know as my LC is from 1959. If you don't find the manuals on here, let me know and I can provide them (and I'm sure others on here could too) for the 12" tiller and the disc. I originally got mine from Simplicity's website but not sure if you can still do that or not.

Thanks Nittany, I would love to get them, I cannot seem to find them anywhere but it might just be me not knowing how to use the site! I would really appreciate if you sent them to me. I will message you with my email address.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: simplicity d, simplicity v, simplicity walk behind, simplicity implements