#1 needdoe OFFLINE  

needdoe
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 80305
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 03:56 PM

Hi guys,

I think my tranny fluid in my 314 garden tractor may be low but I'm having trouble seeing through the sight tube.  I'm not sure what's in there but I'm assuming it's HyGard as the machine was always maintained at a JD shop.

My question is if there is already Hygard in there can I add Type F ATF or is inadvisable to mix the two if I'm in a pinch?  I tried to quickly look through some treads but the snow is building up.

Thanks

Tom

#2 needdoe OFFLINE  

needdoe
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 04:02 PM

Emergency averted got a flashlight on the tube and it's in range.  Still will take an answer thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 04:13 PM

The JD manuals I have read have a big warning to not mix Type f and Hyguard fluids.  Thoroughly drain the transmission before changing to another type of fluid.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Leonard VanCamp and needdoe have said thanks

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 04:19 PM

The JD manuals I have read have a big warning to not mix Type f and Hyguard fluids.  Thoroughly drain the transmission before changing to another type of fluid.

I agree, don't fix different types of fluid!!

• chieffan and needdoe have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Get the Manual for it yet? 

• needdoe said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 05:58 PM

If it's amber colored it's probably hygard. That sight tube level gauge is often missing from these tractors. One thing to look for is there should be what looks like a fuel filter inline with the sight tube. The filter serves as a vent for the hydro and the outlet side should go to a port on top of the rear end. It is not a standard fuel filter. It has a small hole in it to vent pressure. You can replace it with a regular filter as long as you drill a 1/16" hole in the outer case. When I got my 314 someone had used a filter without a hole and pressure was building up in the case and causing oil to leak out the weakest spot which was the axle seals. 

Those rear ends are heavy duty sundstrand/Dana units and the axles are rated for 1800lbs if memory serves.  Way heavier than most of the stuff out there in new GTs

• Oldford, Leonard VanCamp and needdoe have said thanks

#7 needdoe OFFLINE  

needdoe
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 08:02 PM

Thank you folks,

Yes I did get my hands on a service manual but not an Owners manual yet thanks grumpy.  I thought I saw a post on a 318 about just putting in ATF but I wanted to double check.  Luckily it was showing when I went out and checked it and I was able to get some snow moved before dark.  It moved some pretty wet and heavy snow without any trouble at all.  The fluid in the tube does not appear to be red so I'm going to try and confirm that it is indeed Hyguard in the morning and pick up some when I'm out.  Is there anything that is not Hyguard but compatible with it.  I also need to get a hold of the vent or do the filter with a hole fix since I do not see one inline.  Luckily I don't see any leaks.

Thanks for all the quick responses,

Tom

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 08:49 PM

When you look at some of these newer fluids at places like rural king and TSC, they claim to be compatible with everything. Kind of makes me wonder if there was ever much of a difference. Antifreeze is going the same direction.

• needdoe said thank you

#9 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 10:08 PM

If you do get the Hyguard, get the low viscosity Hyguard, JD makes two versions.

Edited by Leonard VanCamp, February 05, 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 10:15 AM

Here's a link to the topic where I was trying to sort out the vent on the 314. There is a diagram in the 3rd post for the vent assembly. Part no. 3 is the fuel filter. You can just take a regular plastic canister type fuel filter with 1/4" barb fittings and drill a small hole in the  plastic case. It's in the linked topic how to set it up.

http://gardentractor...ent#entry68673