• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 196 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 08:51 PM

I recently got a Craftsman Yard Vac/Chipper with a Tecumseh LEV120 4.5hp. The crankcase was full of moisture so I flushed out what I could. There is no drain plug so it must be tipped,but was wondering if there was anyway to get more of the oil out? It says it holds 21oz of oil but can only get 16oz in to fill it to the full line. Thanks
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,275 Thanks
  • 974 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 10:16 PM

Isn't there a drain plug on the bottom beside the crank should be a square hole in it for a 3/8 ratchet

#3 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,300 Thanks
  • 706 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 10:20 PM

I've got one of those (or at least a similar one).  Have had it for more than 10 years.  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I don't think I ever changed the oil.

I did just pull out the manual though.  It says to run out the gas, turn the unit over, and dump it out the fill tube, so I guess you're doing it right.

The parts fiche does show a drain plug in the crankcase.  My guess is you'd have to remove the engine to get to it though.

Edited by MiCarl, February 04, 2016 - 10:22 PM.

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,109 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 10:27 PM

You may have some sludge that will not drain out thus allowing less oil to fill.

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,868 Thanks
  • 4,919 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 08:27 AM

I've got one of those (or at least a similar one).  Have had it for more than 10 years.  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I don't think I ever changed the oil.

I did just pull out the manual though.  It says to run out the gas, turn the unit over, and dump it out the fill tube, so I guess you're doing it right.

The parts fiche does show a drain plug in the crankcase.  My guess is you'd have to remove the engine to get to it though.

Had one of those on a push type lawn mower.  Drain plug was covered by the mower deck.  Easier to turn it up side down and set it sit a while.

#6 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 196 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 06:33 PM

Alright thanks everyone. it runs great and doesn't use any oil or smoke, but I have noticed it misting oil and smoke from the breather. Oil is right at the full line