26 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 08:40 AM

there's no reason anymore to have a Lan line. we got rid of ours almost 10 years ago. $40x12months=$480 a year x10years. wow I saved almost 5000 bucks

5 years ago we got rid of the Internet and just use our smartphones. so I saved another 3000 bucks.

if I could I would dump the TV too

Not everyone lives in or close to the big Cites where you have all the fancy services.  Most the time we have no cell phone service.  We don't text either.  Have better things to do than sit around poking tiny buttons with my finger.  Smart phone are out of the question.  Talk about saving money then go pay $90 + a month for a smart phone that takes pictures that are the wrong orientation half the time?  I pay $25 for 3 months service and have over 2000 units built up on my phone.  Our kids don't live across the road so need the land line for communications.  Closest neighbor is far enough away you can't even see them, about 1.5 miles.  Good clean country living.

• Gtractor, jms180 and Bmerf have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 09:00 AM

When Frontier came into CT a couple of years ago, service went to h*ll. We dropped them and added internet to our cable service. I bought a Majicjack for landline and it works good enough for $50 per year. I will put an antenna on the roof and drop the cable tv service after college basketball season(our ladies are going for their fourth straight championship). For cell phones we use Tracfone at $7 per month. We don't use them much so the 60 minutes per month limit isn't a problem. Good Luck, Rick

• Bmerf and chieffan have said thanks

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Just seems like utilities can just add extra charges anytime. Our water department has add a debt charge where they borrowed some money for improvements and electrical bill added an availability charge (its there where you use or not so you pay $10 month) Just unreal.

I wish I had a $10 availability charge.  Mine was $25 and is going to $30, they say due to the upkeep expense and the meters are getting further apart.  WE take what ever amount the employer or SS decides to give us with no recourse.  Got to buy anything and pay the asking price or go home.  Democracy ? ?

• Gtractor and jms180 have said thanks

#19 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 09:51 AM

there's no reason anymore to have a Lan line. we got rid of ours almost 10 years ago. $40x12months=$480 a year x10years. wow I saved almost 5000 bucks

5 years ago we got rid of the Internet and just use our smartphones. so I saved another 3000 bucks.

if I could I would dump the TV too

I wont get rid of my land line.  I like to have it around so I can actually hear people plainly on the phone.  Our cell service is good but cell phones still leave a lot to be desired for the use of actually making a phone call IMO.  We have smart phones and it doesn't matter when or where I get a call, I hear every other word or I just can't hear what the other person is saying real clearly like I can on a land line.  Some of it may be them holding the phone too far away or whatever.  I always tell my kids to hang up and call the home phone, then I can understand them.  I need the internet at home because I work from home.  Very necessary.  Without internet and the wifi, my phone would be racking up a data bill that I probably couldn't handle (no data usage when I'm on the wifi).  My cell bill is many times more than my land line bill and, to me, the land line quality is just worth keeping it around.

• boyscout862 and Bmerf have said thanks

#20 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,619 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Back in the early 2000s I had Southwestern Bell local service and that was the only company I could have back then.  About $15 month for land line.  In 2001 they merged with Bell Texas and things went haywire.  Now their goal was to add fees for anything extra they could upsell a person. 

Part of the upsell scheme was they split up long distance to where it was a totally separate service.  That came from AT&T so i'd get a separate bill every month for $5.00 or there-abouts for the long distance "service".  I NEVER called long distance.  Got to thinking why am I paying 5 dollars a month for nothing.  The $5.00 flying out the window really burned my hide but I also didn't want to mail a second check every month.   So I decided to put a long distance block on the line. 

No problem but the fee for a long distance block was $6.00+/month.  :say_what:

It actually costs more to do that way and I would still have to mail a second check every month which is.    :bs:

I paid AT&T their $5.00/month for a couple of years.......  )&*(%)^*$^)_&

Then they started offering the Bell long distance again [like before] only it was set up to where it was still like doing business with a separate company.  I could however, send one check per month if I dropped AT&T and went with the "new" Bell long distance service.  The only thing new was the way it was charged.  :(

That was OK with me but through all this crap the bill was now $25/month, up $10 from back when the phone bill was simple. 

I chalked it up to inflation and went with that for a couple years.  The main thing is I wasn't dealing with AT&T!!!  I vowed to never deal with them again.

Then in late 2005 Bell bought out AT&T and I became an AT&T customer again.  Immediately the monthly bill went to $45/month for no other reason than to pay for the millions spent on the purchase.  How that helps any of us I'll never know.  I suppose the share holders liked the way it looked on paper. 

About a year ago now i finally got my employer to [consistantly] pay for a cell for me and the MRS was tired enough of me griping about the land line, where all I got from it was Rachael from Card Holder Services robo-calls and a $49.67/month bill, so the land line was shut off.  I don't miss it one bit and wish I'd have shut it off long ago.

Gosh I'm long winded!  :wave:

#21 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 11:04 AM

We too have Frontier and since Carolyn has friends and relation in OK. and in other pasts of Iowa the long distance was over $100 a month.  Several years ago we were offered a package of $60 a month flat fee with free long distance, no overseas call included.  That was a good deal for us so we took it.  Then dish TV bundled with Frontier and we get one bill for both.  Have the 250 channel package to get the major sports channels for the football games and NASCAR racing.  About $130 a month for both.  Will never have a stupid "smart phone" as I see no advantage to look at a little 2 X 3" screen to try and read something on the internet.  Beside you got to have the signal to get the use.  Nothing more than a gimmick, you can't stand to have Joe Blow have something and you not have it too.  Our closest TV stations are over 70 miles away.  Have a 60' tower with antenna and lot of times the signal is in and out since they went digital (Better my A$$).  So the Satellite TV is necessary also. Or do without.

• Gtractor said thank you

#22 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,633 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 11:14 AM

I got a free case of tuna from Charlie becuase he lied about something about the tuna I bought in the last 3 years!

Really? You put all of your trust in a fish?

For those of you who did away with the land line; how do you get your internet connection?

#23 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 11:49 AM

Y

Really? You put all of your trust in a fish?

For those of you who did away with the land line; how do you get your internet connection?

You can still have DSL but just no phone service.  That is what we have.  They give you a dummy phone # for your account.

The wife refuses to let us get rid of the home phone #.  So we compromised and we have the Straight talk home phone wireless.  It cost $15 per month and has all the bells and whistles like call forwarding, voice mail etc and cost a lot less the AT&T.  It is just a box that sits by the phone with an antenna on it.  we have a 3 phone wireless set connected to it so we have phones around the house and it works OK.  It keeps the wife happy.

• LilysDad said thank you

#24 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 12:03 PM

Y

You can still have DSL but just no phone service.  That is what we have.  They give you a dummy phone # for your account.

The wife refuses to let us get rid of the home phone #.  So we compromised and we have the Straight talk home phone wireless.  It cost $15 per month and has all the bells and whistles like call forwarding, voice mail etc and cost a lot less the AT&T.  It is just a box that sits by the phone with an antenna on it.  we have a 3 phone wireless set connected to it so we have phones around the house and it works OK.  It keeps the wife happy.

So what is the difference between your "home phone" and the cell phone?  Just a different piece of plastic to run after when it rings?

#25 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:42 PM

There really isn't any difference except if you have a need or just want to keep your home phone you can for a lot less then the land line phone companies. 

#26 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 09:11 PM

I agree there is no difference. But when we had our land line guess what number everyone called. My cell phone. My land line was for telemarketers!!

So basically my land line was useless.

You'll never convince me of hate of the smart phone. We've all had this discussion more than once. I went without a cell phone until I had to get one for work(which they give me a 100 a month to pay my cell bill). I didn't miss it when I didn't have one but I use the crap outta my phone for every thing.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 06, 2016 - 09:11 PM.

#27 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,619 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 09:53 PM

I have DSL with a tiny square antenna, probably 8-10 inches across, tucked up under the eave of the house.  It bounces a signal off an antenna on top of one of the water towers in town that I used to be able to see standing in the yard but a clump of trees a couple of miles from here have grown up in the last 25 years, blocking my "view'.   Was told I had to have a clear view of the water tower for it to work but so far it does OK. 

• LilysDad said thank you