• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,339 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 07:15 AM

Okay, I got that all figured out. Now for the latest news.

I got a call from a guy today sayin' he was from Microsoft. He said he needed to check my computer. I said how do I know who you are. He offered to give me his ID. I wasn't convinced. I said my computer was brand new and I didn't need it examined. Checking on Snopes tells me this is an old trick.

Never fall for this one. Before its all over, they will have all of your information including your bank routing numbers.
Microsoft is so big, they don't call anyone.

Next time, play along for a while... No info, but pretend you're turning on your computer.
When they ask what OS, finally they'll them Linux Mint or something.
Click.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,320 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 05:06 AM

I put windows 10 to bed forever today..  I'm forever seeing the stupid GWX flag on my active programs listing and keep shutting it off but it is persistent and keeps coming back!   :wallbanging:

I finally had enough!  I logged in as the Admin and found the GWX folder in the C/windows/system32/GWX..  

First I tried to delete the folder but it denied me access to my own computer..  GRRRRRR

I deleted every single file I could out of that thing then I did the best thing I could think of that MS didn't expect..  I renamed the folder from GWX to Screw This Shyt..

I rebooted expecting an error but no problems and the pesky Get Wondows 10 BS is gone!!

Oh- and the system is working faster too!  About time I figured this out!  We'll see how it goes.. :dancingbanana:

• KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#18 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:40 AM

On my old laptop w/ Win7, I had AOL News as an opening page. On my new one w/ Win10, I have to enter a search for the opening page, then I'm back to square one. I'm not crazy about all the key strokes needed to bring up a bookmark on fire fox but I live with it.

Of course I could avoid all of this by using the voice command feature, but I refuse to stoop to that silliness! "Cortana, find me pictures of pretty girls on tractors!"

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#19 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 08:42 AM

My old computer with Win7 had really good pop up control; the new one, not much. I get these ad choice thingees all over the place.