Garden Tractor Forums banner

Snow plow mounting height ?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  BNK 
#1 ·
Well, I've got the plow from JimD set in place, no drilling or cutting etc. yet... If the distance to ground is O.K. none should be needed. Just a cross brace added to top. If too close to ground I will need to shorten the legs and re-mount cross braces.

I can't measure my other plow mounts because they are at my son's houses for plowing !! The only one here is the 4 wd Kubota that I sorta inherited from My BIL and it is pretty high off the ground. (but is a BIGGER tractor too)

So the question is what is a normal distance from ground to mount ? Seems like this is really close.

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Control handle seems O.K.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

This tractor is becoming a mixture of components for sure. Of the small Gt size tractors Momma likes this one the best, so trying to make it work for her when I can't. I like the 782 best but it smokes some nowadays and she has COPD, the 100 works great but has limited mowing with the Mott. The other Cubs have all moved to son's houses, or are in pieces, not running etc.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
When I did my custom setup, I tried to mount blade so it would sit as level to ground as possible yet get rear mount as high as I could. If it's mounted too high in the back and blade arms are at a too steep angle, then when you swivel blade, it will not sit evenly on ground when angled.

#4 ·
I had a huskie that used that kind of mount. It was really low, like 4" off the ground.
Most important is what Tahoe said and also the angle of attack for the blade.
If it will sit on the ground level when straight and full right or left, then you're probably ok all the way around.

One more: not sure how stout the steel is there on the cub, but I remember the Huskie was tied into the frame pretty well at the mount spot.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think you'll be OK with mounting it on the front of the frame.Cub Cadets frames are still heavier built than your standard stamped steel Box Store lawn mower.

Font Parallel Schematic Music Engineering

Here's a pic of a Cub Cadet 2500 series plow mount for reference.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Even an original plow sits only about 3 inches off of the ground.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't want the pivot point to high, or the plow may want to try and flip under the tractor, which will lift your front tires of the ground. I found this out one time. Just a opinion, not an expert.

Noel

#8 ·
I'm amazed at how that is same mechanicals as my John Deere L130's blade mount. The part that bolts vertical to the tractor mount is where it changes for the deere. The rest is same, the swivel areas, the handle that is moving all over when in use, and that rod to turn it, all the same. Huh! I'ld have to go look and see how far up it lifts, but don't think much more than 4" or so. Don't think adjustable?? I've used mine many years, but is a work-out. That big lever flexes a foot before movement starts, and pulling the trigger to move at angles is a little tough, then pulling it down to lift, all keeps you moving! Kind of a Love/Hate relationship. Blades like Wheelhorse and MTD's of old were much easier to reach and use than these blade mounted kind are. Have others with hydraulics now and much nicer to use, but STILL have this kind for the front yard and drive and parked in house garage then.

#9 ·
How much ground clearance do you have?
Not very much !! Got some measurements today then got busy on some other outside projects. We had 62 F today :dancingbanana: Back to 30 by morning and 23 F by tomorrow night, no wonder everybody is sick with plugged sinuses.

Thanks all for the responses. Seems like 4 inches would be more appropriate. Probably going to do some custom work on the mount and try to beef it up some at the same time.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Asphalt Bumper

With the blade up the corner gets real close to 1 inch, yikes !

Asphalt Road surface Wood Automotive tire Gas

Plow down between 1.75 and 2 inch, still seems too close to me.

Attachments

#10 ·
When I did my custom setup, I tried to mount blade so it would sit as level to ground as possible yet get rear mount as high as I could. If it's mounted too high in the back and blade arms are at a too steep angle, then when you swivel blade, it will not sit evenly on ground when angled.
I will check that before any welding thanks for the tip !

#11 ·
Not very much !! Got some measurements today then got busy on some other outside projects. We had 62 F today :dancingbanana: Back to 30 by morning and 23 F by tomorrow night, no wonder everybody is sick with plugged sinuses.

Thanks all for the responses. Seems like 4 inches would be more appropriate. Probably going to do some custom work on the mount and try to beef it up some at the same time.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20160203_114912.jpg
With the blade up the corner gets real close to 1 inch, yikes !
attachicon.gif
IMG_20160203_115358.jpg
Plow down between 1.75 and 2 inch, still seems too close to me.
Jim on my 149 that has a spread frame plow on it I measured 4 1\2" .... I'm like you your set up is very close to the ground. You are using a Craftsman plow on a CC project I gather? Been there done that, got a tube bumper on my 1440 that originally is a Craftsman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.