• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 10:38 AM

Well nature dropped a bunch of snow on us yesterday and i was out cleaning everyones driveway in the neighborhood and was just about finished and heard this nasty noise coming from the front So i pulled it back into the garage got to checking and the adapter is freely spinning on the pto shaft. It is terribly cold here right now and i dont feel like tearing the whole front end off because i am pretty sure the shaft splines are shot because It did not look the best when i put the blower on this last fall. I know it is a heck of a job to get that shaft out of there nothing simple anymore but i also am going to need the shaft itself. Is there anyway a guy can make it work such as drilling it out and putting a hardened bolt in there just to get through the winter?????

• chieffan said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 12:44 PM

I have seen a lot of guys drill out the rear pump shaft before and pin it when that one strips. not the best, but may work for a while.

• ENafziger and chieffan have said thanks

#3 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 01:14 PM

I think drilling and a bolt is the only quick fix.  I tried welding, and that absolutely doesn't work.  The splined shaft is hardened, and will not take well to anything. 

It probably wouldn't take very long just to swap out the entire front axle...if you had a spare.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 04:46 PM

My first 1655 had a stripped front shaft. The po drilled and put in a bolt there. I got my PTO shaft fronm Joe's way back when. Good luck. They are a PITA. Goo lucK.
  • propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 06:25 PM

Last resort is welding, if it can be done. Drilling and a bolt will do. If you have the room , put two in at different locations. Keep extra bolts and nuts on the blower, to repair it , if the need arises, and the bolts and nuts won't be far away

Noel

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Putting bolt in would work but put two bolts in at 90° from each other and at least an inch apart.  Use grade 8 bolts too.  The will slow any wobble and reduce the chance of wearing the holes out in the blower joint.  Good luck.

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 07:47 PM

That's what I meant, but didn't say it. Change direction of bolts, as chieffan said.

Noel

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 08:53 PM

More holes, more weak spots??  If still fits loose, the wobble would hammer at it, and break it off when running would think? I had a parts 1655 once, think it was with the pto in axle pivot. Don't recall it too well, but wouldn't the bearings and shaft come out and be replaceable? Not sure if a generic shaft tho and where to get one, but wold think that would be the answer.  OR, time to mount the Blade, heh!

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,324 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 05:30 AM

If you can't find a shaft, you'll have to drill it to get by until you can take it somewhere (tool shop) for a more permanent repair
Will be a fine line between big enough to hold up and not to big so as to weaken the shaft.
Also, I'd go with grade 5. Grade 8 can be brittle and not like sudden impact. Also, I would rather the bolt wear than the holes work
Also, make an easily identifiable alignment mark so if they shear, it's easy to get back together.

Edit: what about a bolt and then a couple of set screws into dimples? Less weakening and as long as done right, it should be strong.
  • limebuzz, shorty and ENafziger have said thanks

#10 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 05:55 AM

Sorry I haven't responded I had a doctors appointment last Wednesday morning right after I did get a hole drilled through it I went back home to shower went to doctors appointment to get second opinion on this pain in my back. It turns out I had a blot clot in my lung which is called pulmonary embolism (forgive if not spelled correctly) anyhow also have been through a series of ct scans pet scans mri and xrays and several blood test and have 1 more biopsy Monday morning before I get to go home anyhow was transported from home town to bigger city hospital and I have been diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer we do not know at this time what stage I am at or what we are going to do about treatment The fact of the matter is I believe my interest in the Snapper Massey garden tractors is going to be cut off short and I will have to start selling everything off a lot sooner than anticipated EVERYDAY IS A GIFT DONT FORGET THIS FACT!!!

• olcowhand, limebuzz, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 06:52 AM

Sad news to hear! Prayers for you and the family.

• adolphsson09 said thank you

#12 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 07:55 AM

OMG,so sorry to hear that terrible news.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,324 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Sorry I haven't responded I had a doctors appointment last Wednesday morning right after I did get a hole drilled through it I went back home to shower went to doctors appointment to get second opinion on this pain in my back. It turns out I had a blot clot in my lung which is called pulmonary embolism (forgive if not spelled correctly) anyhow also have been through a series of ct scans pet scans mri and xrays and several blood test and have 1 more biopsy Monday morning before I get to go home anyhow was transported from home town to bigger city hospital and I have been diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer we do not know at this time what stage I am at or what we are going to do about treatment The fact of the matter is I believe my interest in the Snapper Massey garden tractors is going to be cut off short and I will have to start selling everything off a lot sooner than anticipated EVERYDAY IS A GIFT DONT FORGET THIS FACT!!!

Sorry to hear the news and our prayers go out to you and your family
Hopefully you have caught it early and the treatment is effective.
If you ever need to vent or just talk, please do so.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:26 AM

After having massive saddle embolisms a little over a year ago, I know all too well how dangerous clots are.  I assume they put you on Heparin or a similar med to dissolve the clot?  I sure hope and pray the cancer is young and easily taken care of.  You will be in my prayers my friend!

#15 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 622 Thanks
  • 697 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 05:53 PM

Prayers are with you

Edited by Dayton_King, February 07, 2016 - 05:54 PM.