9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 02:09 PM

We have the ability to record a movie or anything else that is on TV at any time in the future.  We need this same ability to download software, manuals, etc. off the internet at a time we chose in the future.  Those of us that are on Satellite internet get a set amount of bandwidth they call " anytime usage" and set amount for "off peek" usage.  My off peek is between 2 and 8 am local time.  A lot of times I run out of bandwidth a day or two before renewal but do not touch what have for my off peek usage.  My GF likes to see several videos of her family in Ok and of the granddaughter so she in on in the morning before 8am.  It would sure be nice to be able to download manuals, software, videos etc. just like we do off of the TV during my non peek time frame.

• jpackard56 said thank you

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 02:54 PM

I had satellite and I hated it. No bandwidth and a cow farting across the street would take the service down. 

• HDWildBill, jpackard56 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 03:06 PM

I have two choices, satellite or dial up.  Satellite is a no brainier.  Very seldom are we down, TV occasional but very seldom broadband. 
Both with DISH.

#4 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 03:10 PM

There's an add on available for Firefox that lets you schedule downloads. Never tired it, but might be what you are looking for. 

https://addons.mozil...load-scheduler/

• MH81, jpackard56 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 03:17 PM

Look up task scheduler on Microsoft for Windows

• jpackard56 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 03:31 PM

You need a download manager.  Do a search and see if one will work for you.

• gopher, jpackard56 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 06:58 PM

There's an add on available for Firefox that lets you schedule downloads. Never tired it, but might be what you are looking for. 

https://addons.mozil...load-scheduler/

Not very good comment for this one.  Don't think I will consider it.  I despise software that does not include at least SOME documentation on how to use it.  Not mind readesr out here, just common users.

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 11:06 AM

I had satellite and I hated it. No bandwidth and a cow farting across the street would take the service down. 

Exactly the set-up we have now, the worst thing is they are MY COWS :rolling: 

Other situations that will knock out service: rain, snow, clouds, fog, dew, frost, ya you get the idea....

#9 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 11:13 AM

I'll check those mentioned above. We can't even get T.V. out here, we get ALL the ads but when check it out sorry "not in your service area"

My bandwidth is dismal, somebody asked about skype the other day, I have used that when my work has me assigned somewhere near a city, but at the farm it is a no-go. And most of the time I'm not up at 3AM, when I am it is because I hurt too much to sleep and would be WAY to GROUCHY to talk with anyway...(just ask my wife :wave:)

• chieffan said thank you

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 07:10 PM

I'll check those mentioned above. We can't even get T.V. out here, we get ALL the ads but when check it out sorry "not in your service area"

My bandwidth is dismal, somebody asked about skype the other day, I have used that when my work has me assigned somewhere near a city, but at the farm it is a no-go. And most of the time I'm not up at 3AM, when I am it is because I hurt too much to sleep and would be WAY to GROUCHY to talk with anyway...(just ask my wife :wave:)

I know what your saying.  Those that live in or near the City have no idea what rural life is all about.  I keep getting ads from our phone service provider, FRONTIER, trying to get us to sign up for broadband.  Not available in our area.  line of sight to the the tower 12 miles away.  Not going to happen.  You might check into Dish Network.  If you can get a clear shot at the SW sky you should be able to get both, TV and internet.

• jpackard56 said thank you