48 replies to this topic

#46 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:11 AM

WilburJ posted "Your 1886 is a modal 1886-02 built in 1972." And he would know, therefore I believe ( and am sure will be corrected if errant) what you have is a K482 that was converted over to a 15amp charging system by a PO. The early 1886 ( and maybe all models ?) Had a 30amp charging system. I think you're seeing a red flywheel because of the change over to a K532's charging system, the cost of a 30amp charging system stator, regulator/rectifier and the availability of such, I'm guessing steered individual to the less expensive alternative of a used 15amp system which would require the flywheel being swapped over as well.If it is a complete engine swap I'm curious to know if Wheelhorse employed a 15amp system on their use of the 482. Side note; I've done the same swap over to a 15amp system on one of my 1886-01's.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, February 09, 2016 - 08:42 AM.

• wilberj, ClassicBolens and SC Farmer have said thanks

#47 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 05:34 PM

Wrenchin:  Makes sense to me and I'm glad of it, considering the cost of the 30 amp rectifier (if you can even find one!).  I've located a 15 amp one for about $28 and am happy about it!  I was assuming (yeah I know, "assume...) that it was a total engine swap out.  I based most of that "assumption" on the presence of red paint underlying much of the engine parts - intake manifold, some of the shrouds, etc.  At this point, who knows?

• wilberj said thank you

#48 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 06:32 AM

Well,got my "new" exhaust manifold from Bob and am in process of prepping it for installation.  FINALLY got the old one off!   :wallbanging:Two of the bolts broke off, but left 1/2" stubs, so they should come out okay with a little work.  Boy, it was really rusted on there!. I've included a couple of pics of the old manifold and the damaged muffler flange.  The old manifold had broken off on the left side connection.  Based on the rust there, that happened some time ago, so that manifold absolutely had to go.  The muffler flange is also broken.  I plan on totally replacing the old muffler in the future, but for now I'll be having a local muffler shop repair the flange with some welding, just to get the tractor up and running again. I'm going to have them spot weld a rigged up heat shield also as a temporary fix.  The old heat shield is virtually gone from rust.  I'll start a new post sometime in the future with my muffler rebuild project.  

Here are those pictures.  Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 194.JPG
  • 195.JPG

Edited by Lorisfarmer, February 16, 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#49 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 07:19 AM

Well,got my "new" exhaust manifold from Bob and am in process of prepping it for installation.  FINALLY got the old one off!   :wallbanging:Two of the bolts broke off, but left 1/2" stubs, so they should come out okay with a little work.  Boy, it was really rusted on there!. I've included a couple of pics of the old manifold and the damaged muffler flange.  The old manifold had broken off on the left side connection.  Based on the rust there, that happened some time ago, so that manifold absolutely had to go.  The muffler flange is also broken.  I plan on totally replacing the old muffler in the future, but for now I'll be having a local muffler shop repair the flange with some welding, just to get the tractor up and running again. I'm going to have them spot weld a rigged up heat shield also as a temporary fix.  The old heat shield is virtually gone from rust.  I'll start a new post sometime in the future with my muffler rebuild project.  

Here are those pictures.  Jim

There is a gasket that goes between the muffler and the manifold, if you don't want to make one, check with our site sponsors who specialize in Bolens. I'm pretty sure Ricks Bolens tractor parts has them .
  • blackjackjakexxix and SC Farmer have said thanks