• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Many years ago I was in a serious car accident that hurt my back and its starting to hurt a little more so I am seriously thinking about thinning out what I have and maybe start looking for a smaller house since I have a 3 bedroom house just for me and a smaller yard just in case there comes a time where I will not be able to maintain a large yard. I am 54 but the damage to my body has aged me at least another 15 to 20 years so its time to start thinking what might happen in the next 5 years,so here is what I had in mind as I was thinking about trading all I have for one real nice tractor with a snow plow attachment and a good self propelled push mower. I have 3 custom 10s,two custom 6s and a 72 Suburban 15 along with a snowplow and two snowblower attachments for the customs and a custom 10 parts tractor and many spare parts. One custom 6 is all original with a restored 36 inch aluminum deck and the other has a HH80 motor and a mint 36 inch aluminum deck and all the custom 10s run along with the suburban but it needs restored,looking fot at least a 15 hp tractor with plow and a over 40 inch deck and a 22 inch or larger self propelled mower.

• limebuzz, Cvans, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#2 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 08:01 AM

I , like you have a bad back and I also need a shoulder replacement, if your looking to replace or trade I would definitely want to go hydro, power steering and foot control, I would also get a snow blower, shoveling even a light snow can play havoc on a bad back, and ohio can be pretty mean in the winter, best of luck john  

• Cvans and Oldford have said thanks

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:12 AM

I , like you have a bad back and I also need a shoulder replacement, if your looking to replace or trade I would definitely want to go hydro, power steering and foot control, I would also get a snow blower, shoveling even a light snow can play havoc on a bad back, and ohio can be pretty mean in the winter, best of luck john  

Snowblowers are hard on the shoulder when turning machine as well as your back if these are "weak links" on your chassis.  A  snowblower attachment on tractor would be best bet in my opinion. I guess it depends on what exactly aggravates your pain. 

Post some pics of your collection and hopefully you can get your order filled. Good Luck

Edited by Jazz, February 02, 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#4 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:13 AM

Sears are nice tractors but mostly manual lift and gear drive, at least mine was, if the foot slips off the clutch it can snatch the back out.

I had a lot of help on here finding my new hydro drive & lift tractors, makes all the difference on a bad back.  Lots of old hydro gt's out there to choose from, hard part can be selling off the collection but you'll feel better physically once you get hydro lift.  good luck with the sale & search...

• Cvans said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:30 AM

I would definitely want to go hydro, power steering and foot control, 

Excellent advise and I would add that power lift is worth looking into. This comes from someone walking in your shoes.  :boo_hoo:

• Oldford said thank you

#6 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:58 PM

I'll give ya what you paid for on the Suburban 15 :poke:  :D

#7 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 05:25 PM

I'll give ya what you paid for on the Suburban 15 :poke:  :D

I have much more in it now.

Edited by junkyardjeff, February 02, 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#8 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 05:35 PM

I would like to get down to one real nice tractor and self propelled mower,I do have two other old lawn mowers I would keep so I would have something to tinker with other then my cars and might keep the one custom 6 since it was my uncles but no more then that. If something would happen to me tomorrow it would be a mess for my family to deal with so time to downsize a little,I am going to get pictures and post everything in the classified section and see if I can get someone to trade. I was thinking a newer JD or Cub Cadet that I can get parts for would be nice to have.

• MH81 and Oldford have said thanks

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 01:08 PM

I have much more in it now.

I know, that's why I was poking ya

#10 Cub123 OFFLINE  

Cub123
  • Member No: 27785
  • 94 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 02:58 PM

Something to consider with a bad back is being able to put on impliments easy. As much as I prefer my cub cadets, I think the JDs have one of best front end quick attaches. A Deere with power steering and dual hydraulics on the front would probably serve you well.
  • MH81 and Oldford have said thanks

#11 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:44 AM

I was thinking about trading all I have for one real nice tractor with a snow plow attachment and a good self propelled push mower, looking fot at least a 15 hp tractor with plow and a over 40 inch deck and a 22 inch or larger self propelled mower.

With a bad back and just one plow tractor I went for a hydraulic 4-way blade.  JD 300 series or the bigger Bolens.  But the decks may be a hassle on/off.  Case have easy decks, just drive over them, and the plows come off real easy but no 4-way power, just up/down with manual angle.  Any of those in good shape are in the $1k range where i live, if that helps.  late 70s/80s 14-16hp K series are simple and rugged, good on gas.

For a good self propelled the wife has had 3 good husqvarnas new from sears, they seem to be pretty tough no matter who really makes them.  Around $400.  Or maybe trade for a used one but they don't like being messed with, no telling what a p.o. did to them other than not change the oil.

I was thinking a newer JD or Cub Cadet that I can get parts for would be nice to have.

Depends how new you want.  My 77 JD300 is still going strong, used parts easy to find.  Also my 82 Case.  Both series stayed similar into the late 80s i believe, 318, 444, etc.  Much newer than that they seem to get more complicated and less rugged, aluminum engines etc.  I have good luck with iron kohlers, good ones can run for 45 years or more, parts are cheap, just my .02 good luck

#12 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 05:41 PM

I do not want to get rid of them but I do have too much stuff around here and if I get the urge to go to a warmer climate they would have to go any way so time to do it now,do not get me wrong as I do like scrounging for parts but it would be nice to have a tractor I could get parts locally and not have to keep many spares.

#13 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 08:10 PM

I have decided to let them go and will be posting pictures,I got a little carried away so time for them to go. I will be keeping a 66 custom 6 that belonged to a uncle and the basic early 60s Sears rider my grampa gave me and then there is the Ariens Emporer that dad bought when he bought the house. Time to cut back on my collections.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 09:47 PM

I hope you and the tractors all find good homes.