• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ohanafun OFFLINE  

ohanafun
  • Member No: 70484
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 06:27 PM

My tractor sometimes starts right up others times I get a click and nothing, if I turn the key two or three times it starts, is this a bad connection someplace or a ground issue?

#2 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 989 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:01 PM

Sounds like safety switch or even dirt in ignition switch try shooting some electrical cleaner in switch and go through safety switches.
  • ohanafun said thank you

#3 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:48 PM

On some of the earlier John Deere units there was a relay kit (AM107421) availble to overcome this condition. I used the AM107421 kit on my 1988 160 and LT172 and it took care of the hesitation.  II would check all the grounds and make sure electrical connections are clean and tight first. It looks like a similar relay kit may be available for your LT133, it may be an (AT75769), call a dealer and verify.  

• Eric and ohanafun have said thanks

#4 JD318420 ONLINE  

JD318420
  • Member No: 79598
  • 34 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:09 PM

The contacts in the key switch have a build up from arcing (current draw) and corrosion. To extend the life of the key switch try putting in a heavy duty relay (also known as a starting improvement kit) Puts the current demand on a relay usually mounted down near the starter. Depending on how bad it has gotten you may need to replace the key switch also.

• DennyIN and ohanafun have said thanks

#5 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:06 AM

You can take the key switch apart and clean it, they say you can't but you can, get a pair of dykes, and slightly pry the part where the terminal s are away from the plastic backing it's pot metal, but you can bend it enough to get it apart just be careful . Also check all your grounds and check the battery terminals too it doesn't take much corrosion in a DC circut for it not to make up