Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Where do you guys buy your building materials?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,252 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 02:39 PM

If just needing a small amount of std lumber, I go to Lowes as it's closer to me.  Some larger dimensions Lowes doesn't carry, so then I go to the nearest private lumber yard where they have any dimensions you can get.  I also go to the private company when getting a large amount of lumber (or when I'm not feeling so great) as they load it all and I don't have to touch anything.

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#17 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,402 Thanks
  • 3,815 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 03:20 PM

Our local Lowes must have a super bad HR dept. cause all the employees act like they just got an arse reaming from the branch manager and are mad at the world.  If you need assistance, you couldn't buy help from anyone that works there.  They run and hide like cockroaches when the light is turned on.  Used to be just the opposite.  There is one guy in the appliance dept. at Lowes that will help.  If you are female and cute he will be friendly and if you take your 13 year old daughter in he will do somersaults and backflips to make a sale - even forgoing all his commission to make a sale so-as to get your address on the paperwork. 

In this small town I have a choice of Lowes,  one small lumber yard or driving just over an hour to Menards/HD. 

The local guy will bend over backwards to price match,  help in any way he can,  and he gives to local charities often without demanding his name be in the paper or attached to the donation. 

We also have an ACE hardware that is good for small stuff and friendly people that want to help.  Their prices are pretty bad but I go there when I can because since Lowes came to town they are really hurting and I really like their store.  I can park 10 feet from the front door at ACE where-as Lowes has to have that fire lane and then 30 something handicap parking spaces and those spaces are always empty.   Not to mention the size of the store I have to walk through.

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#18 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,742 Thanks
  • 2,163 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 04:12 PM

Read my signature and you'll know which way I go. But all kidding aside, if the local lumber yard is close enough, check him out. Couple reasons;

~quality of lumber, always a better grade on the framing material, and you don't have to pick through it.

~usually free delivery ($300 or more gets it free at my lumberyard)

~price is usually better , especially when you factor in quality of material 

~local guys live and spend in your community, helping you out in the long run

~and most of the guys at the lumber yard can offer advice to steer you in the right direction if you're unsure about things.

Remember this too, they sell products for people who make a living with their products, they can't afford to sell crap or get a bad reputation. They need repeat business and aren't just looking for the sale.

Edited by TomLGT195, February 01, 2016 - 04:13 PM.

• boyscout862, Bmerf, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 04:33 PM

If I need a bunch of lumber I get it at a local place...they even pressure treat their own wood and send it all over the country.

If I need items other than lumber, I go to MENARDS for the best selection (my opinion only)...But that is the only opinion I need...other than my wife, and she likes MENARDS too!

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#20 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,248 Thanks
  • 7,478 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 05:02 PM

Do you usually just go to lowes/home depot or do you try other places?

Priced out what I wanted at lowes for $505.32 

Seems cheap enough.  Foam insulation is kind of pricey.

We were just talking about, if your an ex vet, you get 10% off at Lowes and Ace.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#21 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39654
  • 1,335 Thanks
  • 1,457 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 05:32 PM

Generally if I need treated or finish lumber I will go to a yard near me or Curtis lumber, if I need rough cut (90% of what I use) I go to any one of the many small Amish sawmills near me.  I get most of my bolts/hardware at TSC as they are by the lb. where a lot of other places want 60 cents for one 1/4" X 3" bolt, I also buy stuff at auctions as well.  

#22 gopher OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2755
  • 562 Thanks
  • 619 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 06:32 PM

If your not a vet and have a Menards check to see if their running the 11% off rebate in your area.

• LilysDad and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

• Member No: 66960
  • 869 Thanks
  • 463 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 06:35 PM

I usually find the materials before the project , mostly free... If I have to buy from a yard I go to the internet and price them all .

They have a local 'Restore' that supports Habitat for Humanity and will have a lot of materials for 1/2 the cost of new.

Otherwise HD is only 1 mile away . 

• toomanytoys84 and Jazz have said thanks

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,050 Thanks
  • 4,981 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I looked up local lumber yards. I guess home depot and Lowes has killed all of them but one. He wanted 25% more for just about everything.

Guess I'll go to Lowes. They are 18 miles from my home...

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,889 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:32 PM

I do Menards, it's close and cheaper and better selection than home Dropout which is just up the road. I would help the locals, but none around. I do drive by an 84 Lumber on my way to work, but their wood must be wrapped in gold. $$$$$

#26 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 890 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:05 AM

On the rare occasion I have to buy a piece of lumber that I can't find in the scrap pile at work I go to a small lumber/ hardware store 1/2 mile away.  Cost is a bit more but i don't have to go into a big box store! 

Edited by Jazz, February 07, 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#27 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 621 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 12:05 PM

Here in Canada, we have Rona...they have decent prices. Heard this week, they are getting bought out by Lowes.....not sure if thats a good or bad thing. 

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,050 Thanks
  • 4,981 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 05:43 PM

they are getting bought out by Lowes.....not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

Probably a bad thing