Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Where do you guys buy your building materials?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 11:40 AM

This week I am going to be buying a bunch of material.

60 2x4x10

15 sheets of OSB

vapor barrier

foam board insulation

Screws, nails, adhesive, ect.

Do you usually just go to lowes/home depot or do you try other places?

Priced out what I wanted at lowes for $505.32 

Seems cheap enough.  Foam insulation is kind of pricey.

• panzersarebest, chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 11:46 AM

I buy from my local lumber yards.  

They carry items not found at H.D. or Lowe's, so it's important to support the local guys so they're still around for the other stuff when it's needed.

• jms180, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 4 others have said thanks

#3 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 12:05 PM

I boycotted the big box stores a few years back. Most locale yards have what I need and they are usually close to home depot or Lowes. Curtis lumber has always been good to me
Pete
  • boyscout862, TomLGT195, toomanytoys84 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 12:20 PM

I have a Lowe's, Home Depot, & Menard's within 15 miles of me.  I usually price shop between them for big projects.

Sadly, I have a local lumber yard within a ½ mile of my house, but the guy closes at 5PM through the week (when I get off work).  I guess he likes to cater to contractors more than DIYers.??  I like to pick up my materials through the week to leave my weekends open for getting the work done.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 12:26 PM

I go with my local lumber yard, Norwich Lumber. Their prices are often lower than the big box stores and they offer free delivery, often within 24 hours. That free delivery saves alot of trouble since I don't have a big truck anymore. Support the local people. Norwich Lumber is a generous donator to Boyscout projects. That included my son's Eagle Project. Good Luck, Rick

PS I see that Walmart is closing a bunch of stores. Interviews with locals in some areas are showing that their local merchants closed and now they won't have any local stores.

Edited by boyscout862, February 01, 2016 - 12:27 PM.

• Gtractor, michael.kitko, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 12:26 PM

Being a contractor for over 30 years I have been fortunate to still have the old fashion lumber yard. They started back in the late 1890's...love this place. I dislike HD & L but have been at Menards a few times & like it. Like mentioned price out your list for the best price.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 12:32 PM

Lowes, Home Depot, then Menards all within 15 miles. The local lumber Yard has a very limited inventory and everything is about 50% higher.

Local merchants project the attitude that local customers are obligated to support them at any cost, and I am not.

Wish I could but if I have to go out of town to get most of what I need to get for a project, I might as well get it all in one trip.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 01, 2016 - 12:39 PM.

• Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 12:47 PM

For the amount you want, I'll go to a local lumber yard.  Some things cost a bit more than the box stores and some things actually cost less.  The local yard I use is closer and the quality of material is so much better.  To me, that's worth a bit more.  If I wanted 60 2 x 4 x 10 footers, I would have to visit all of the local Lowe's close to me (at least 4 in the general area) to even come close to finding that many straight boards.  My last project I needed like 5 pieces of 5/4 decking.  I had to go to three different Lowe's stores to get 5 straight pieces that I could work with.  That is shameful.  I do pop into Lowes for smaller amounts because they have more convenient hours but not for anything big.

Edited by David Brown, February 01, 2016 - 12:49 PM.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 12:55 PM

I usually go to a local lumber store, when I built my shed I saved about $300 buying there vs Lowes.
  • boyscout862, TomLGT195, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:01 PM

Support your local lumber yard or you won't have any local stores to shop in.  The lumber yard is one link in the chain.  Like others have said, spend your time driving around checking out prices when you could have got it locally and had the project started before you even by a stick other wise.  Lumber at the Big Box Stores is usually utility grade but not priced that way.  Buy 3 so you have on good one.  Locally you can pick and choose, but if you need a 10 2X4 to cut up in short pieces, make sure you get the"bad" one for that.  They will remember that next time.

• Gtractor, boyscout862, Bmerf and 4 others have said thanks

#11 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Bigger projects I like to put together a full bill of materials and take it around to 3-4 different places and have them fill out the best deal possible. It worked out really well when I built my deck. Hit up Lowes, Home Depot, and two other locals places. Then went into 84 Lumber (personal favorite, not sure if they're in your area or not) and told the guy if you can beat these prices we got a deal. He not only did that but tossed in free delivery. 

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:14 PM

Lumber and insulation at local yard, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and paint at Menards, hardware thru catalog, nuts and bolts in bulk at TSC.

I'm close enough to foresting operations to get my cabinet wood straight from mills when I need it.

Of the big three, I like Menards the best. Lowes is over 30 minutes away, and HD sucks. (imo)

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:18 PM

Bought lots at Carters, then this winter they came in, shut them down, no warning. My house is half built from there. Do get lights and small items at Menards, but wood not so good. Big stores have more selections. There is also Builders Mart near me, mostly for contractors, but sell retail too. Better wood, more in stock. Ace Hardware by me gets most of my small purchases, plumbing, electric, tools. Well stocked for a small town, even City and contractors go there.
  • boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#14 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:28 PM

Reluctantly Lowes and Menard's, my only options within 30 miles. I do have a couple of other outlets for siding roofing and gutters but not lumber. If I know that I have a project coming up I will look at the local auction listings as I have "stolen" a couple of good size piles of 2x4s and also OSB, but most recently been stuck with Menard's... At $11/ sheet for 1/2" OSB, there sure no "stocking up" and buying aany more than I absolutely need at any given moment.
  • boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#15 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:30 PM

Usually Lowe's or home depot because of their evening hours. They are competitive with the pricing.