• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • Member No: 80310
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:56 AM

I need some help with the transmission. I drained the fluid out of the hydro gear and so far have put in about 3 quarts of dextron 3 aft and when I have the tractor on the jack it spins the tires slowly but when I put it in the ground it doesn't move......do I just need to put in more fluid? Can someone please help? Thank you.
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:23 AM

Sounds like you might need the manual for that tractor and find where the fluid level is supposed to be.  Just adding fluid randomly is not the best route to go.  Check our manuals section for one for your tractor.  Good luck.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 292 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:51 AM

Make sure the transmission release lever isn't pulled, the one that lets you free wheel the mower for short distances.    

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 12:37 PM

I pulled the transmission release and I still won't move. I have the transmission filled up to the line on the dipstick and don't know why it won't move.
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:02 PM

I pulled the transmission release and I still won't move. I have the transmission filled up to the line on the dipstick and don't know why it won't move.

Did you try pushing the release button down?  Usually pull is release and push is drive.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:13 PM

The filter could be a culprit. So plugged up hat no good stuff is getting thru and the bypass is plugged.
Unfortunately, those are NLA

It could be pump issues, or even just needing purged.

If you find out the kind of tranny in it, do some research and solve the issue before you cause any damage beyond what's in there

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:19 PM

I don't remember the number but when I had my sears/roper hydro it had a Fram on it, worked fine. Also the manual that I had, so d to use Type F "ànd nothing else".

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 03:02 PM

I'm not familiar with your model hydro, but many times the hydro release will stick causing a "non moving" tractor.  Make sure the release button or arm is truly returning to "pump" position.  These valves are hardly ever used and tend to get tight.

#9 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 03:42 PM

I have played around with the release but it doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone know how to get to the filter?

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:25 AM

I did a little thinking on this.
Pretty sure this is a Sundstrand unit, as that's what I've heard they used (I have yet to be lucky enough to find one I could swing)
The charge pump, there is a pin that holds the shafts together. It's possible it's sheared and spinning on the shaft

As for the filter, I believe it's above the bottom plate.

If there isn't an obvious reason like there is an axle spinning in a hub or a pulley spinning on a shaft or a belt slipping.... The tranny will have to come out to work on properly IMHO

#11 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Ok so I took out the transmission today and separated the final drive from the hydraulic pump and found that the splines and the final drive were slipping and so we flipped the slimed coupler piece around and we no longer had any slippage. Then we went and turned the input pulley of the hydraulic pump a don it would go fine in reverse but when we put the lever in forward it wouldn't do anything. So now I am going to disassemble the hydraulic pump tomorrow and see if there are any bad seals or anything in there. Does the hydraulic pump have to be spinning fast to pump the fluid and will spinning it by hand pump the fluid and make the gears turn? Does anyone know what could be the problem?

#12 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:30 PM

Ok so I took out the transmission today and separated the final drive from the hydraulic pump and found that the splines and the final drive were slipping and so we flipped the slimed coupler piece around and we no longer had any slippage. Then we went and turned the input pulley of the hydraulic pump a don it would go fine in reverse but when we put the lever in forward it wouldn't do anything. So now I am going to disassemble the hydraulic pump tomorrow and see if there are any bad seals or anything in there. Does the hydraulic pump have to be spinning fast to pump the fluid and will spinning it by hand pump the fluid and make the gears turn? Does anyone know what could be the problem?

can always message rooney find out part number for coupler and one his videos i thought had more info he has 2 hydros and both had issues if i remember

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 08:06 AM

On an older pump like that, a little blow by is to be assumed... But I've always been able to get a little motion by hand.
If not, I've used a cordless drill to spin the input.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, hydro trac, hydrostatic, not working, wont move, engages