• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bill edler OFFLINE  

bill edler
  • Member No: 78399
  • 20 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 05:42 AM

with a narrow wheels with heavy weights does it turn hard?  I want to put a loader on a narrow framed cub cadet and put on narrow wheels will I be able to turn the wheels or do I need to put on a power steering cylinder of a newer cub cadet.  thanks for the help Bill Edler

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,170 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:28 AM

In my experience with full size tractors with loaders, you want the wide tires to support the extra load.  The narrow tires will sink into soft ground real easy where the wider will stay on top better.  As for steering, don't even think of turning the front wheel unless they are rotating, especially with as loader bucket full.  I don't try to turn my GT's unless the front wheel are rotating.  Just saves a lot of wear and tear.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Wider tires turn harder, yet support more in soft surface. Isn't narrow frame kinda light for loader? Think big as can get is good idea, otherwise you have the "look" of a loader, but not the "ability" to do real work you might want to do.
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 bill edler OFFLINE  

bill edler
  • 20 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 02:37 PM

my dad bought a Johnson loader in the 70s that was on a narrow frame cub that is why I'm going with a narrow frame standerd cub the mounts will not have to be modified the stock steering turns too wide that is why I  am looking at narrow wheel setup

• chieffan said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,170 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 04:15 PM

When you say "narrow wheel" set up are you talking about the individual tires, or a front with the two wheels side by side?  If your thinking of putting a loader on you DO NOT want a narrow 'side by side' front end set up.  Very dangerous to roll over.  Lot of guys died due to roll over when loaders first came out and all farm tractors they were put on were narrow front ends.

#6 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 04:42 PM

When you say "narrow wheel" set up are you talking about the individual tires, or a front with the two wheels side by side?  If your thinking of putting a loader on you DO NOT want a narrow 'side by side' front end set up.  Very dangerous to roll over.  Lot of guys died due to roll over when loaders first came out and all farm tractors they were put on were narrow front ends.

That all depends on the operator and how they use the tractor.  I have many hours running narrow front tractors with loaders on them and know many more that do as well.  They are no more dangerous when operated properly than a wide front tractor is.

• bill edler said thank you

#7 bill edler OFFLINE  

bill edler
  • 20 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 04:04 AM

i was raised up on a tractor between my dads legs that would be child abuse now days  all we had was narrow front tractors with loaders. tractors are safe with proper judgement and careful operation i am 56 years old and have a good idea what i am doing.