• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:43 AM

The muffler was cracking coming apart on my JD 455 diesel.  It had already been patched, looks like a few times before I bought the tractor.  I decided it needed a stack.

I cut the flange off the muffler, filled the hole out 1,67 inches so I could weld in a stub pipe.  Then After a purchase at Canadian tire of some elbows etc I started cutting and manufacturing a stack.  I wan't it to come out the side panel in the original location. I had to make a couple of U's.  Store bought elbows have to wide of a curve the up to much room.  So I cut the elbows down and in the lower one I cut gooses bent the pipe further and welded the grooves back up.  Its not really welding its more like chicken poop scatter.  I think it will hold.  I also drilled a hole in the stub for a small tube that I welded in.  I will run the breather tube to it.  The engine has fair amount of blow by.  Blow by oozes out from under the hood and it makes a mess.  So I figured I would send it up the exhaust It might burn some of it when the tractor is working hard.  

I'll see how loud it is with straight pipe.  Can always put a muffler on later. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0169.JPG
  • IMG_0167.JPG
  • IMG_0168.JPG
  • IMG_0166.JPG

• limebuzz, wvbuzzmaster, Traill95 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 261 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 05:30 AM

The welds don't look all that bad

but things always look better in a picture

Welding tip

when welding galvanized (coated) pipe (exhaust) sand the coating off where your going to weld

it will weld nicer.It is the coating causing the chicken spatter. Then spray the welded area with high temp

aluminum engine paint 1500 deg. paint if you can find it .spray while its still quite warm to hot

this will bake the paint on and prevent the weld from rusting

also be very carful not to breathe the white smoke when welding its poisonous

• petrj6, old coot and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:34 AM

:ditto:   I use my torch to heat the galvanization to burn it off before I even start to weld.  The longer the unsupported pip the more vibration the quicker it will break.  Just my thoughts.

• limebuzz said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Yours is one of those posts that just beg me to make comments;

1 It would be great if you posted a video of the tractor running.

2 Will that stack clear everything you use it around? (I broke my muffler off on trees.)

3 I never understood why folks are on the computer between 12 - 4 am.

• limebuzz, WNYTractorTinkerer and Marty'70 have said thanks

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 10:48 AM

Nice job!! The tall stack is going to be looking for something to snag on. If you think it might get left out in the rain would be good to drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the 2nd 180* bend.

Mike

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 11:08 AM

Neat, it's NOT! Too many bends and ways for backpressure?  Think I would try more straight run. Looks like double bends by engine and AGAIN to get out the hood?  Nahhh!  Way too tall of stack too.  I don't like it!  Dark Side opinion!

#7 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 11:23 AM

:wallbanging: I never thought of hooking the stack on things.  I made it tall me to get the noise above me.  Oh well what the saying learn by trial and error.   LOL

Might get little rain down the stack it would have to be blowing at just the right angle, it will pool in the elbow not get into engine.  I think there enough leaks in my welding the elbow that it will drain out.  

I can try to do short video today. 

I was kind of wondering how long it will last with the vibrations.  

Am I dumb. :hitting_self_roller:  I knew about the gasses from galvanizing, the welders at work wear masks when welding galvanized material.  Total brain fart on my end.

I'm hoping for snow so I can put it under load test it out.

#8 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 11:27 AM

Neat, it's NOT! Too many bends and ways for backpressure?  Think I would try more straight run. Looks like double bends by engine and AGAIN to get out the hood?  Nahhh!  Way too tall of stack too.  I don't like it!  Dark Side opinion!

I think there will be less back pressure than the original baffle type muffler only 1 inch on it compared to the 1 1/2 on the stack.  Doing it this way I didn't have to cut the hood or side panels.  I just widened the hole in the side panel a little.  I can go back to the original type muffler if this gives me to many issues.

Edited by Alberta Bolens, February 01, 2016 - 11:28 AM.

#9 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 06:43 PM

Never have liked stacks. Seems like no matter which way the wind is blowing, the exhaust is always in your face.

... I never understood why folks are on the computer between 12 - 4 am.

Some work the graveyard shift or like me a swing shift; basically days for three weeks, then nights for the next three weeks. Usually stay up all night before returning to night shift. Just going to bed when you are waking. Sometimes you just got to do what ever it takes to pay the bills. (or have tractor money)

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#10 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 11:06 PM

Ok so after some starting issues, after I replaced a fuel line, toasting the already week starter I did get it running today.

Yeah its a little LOUD.  has a nice LOUD bark.to it.  I'll try to post video in a few days.  The old muffler was cracked and leaking under the hood so I figured what the heck.  I think ear plugs will be required.  I'll probably find a muffler for it in the next while.  

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 12:32 AM

First off-->  Welding galvanized metal isn't good for your health!  Use caution when you do..  Your lungs will thank you..

**So it's a 455 disguised as a 425 huh?   :reading_the_manual:     Looking @ the rear tires I'd guess it is an AWS model as well..

The tall stack on that ride would last about 20 minutes @ my house due to all the trees and other obstacles in my yard!

If it were mine I would have stayed stock / NOS..  I don't know what you paid for the piping but the mufflers are on EB for ~$70

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#12 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 08:00 PM

The stack is only inch or 2 taller than my head when I'm on the machine.  I don't like branchs etc in my face, so I try to stay out of the trees.  I think the stack should be safe.

Only time will tell

#13 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:21 PM

First off-->  Welding galvanized metal isn't good for your health!  Use caution when you do..  Your lungs will thank you..

**So it's a 455 disguised as a 425 huh?   :reading_the_manual:     Looking @ the rear tires I'd guess it is an AWS model as well..

The tall stack on that ride would last about 20 minutes @ my house due to all the trees and other obstacles in my yard!

If it were mine I would have stayed stock / NOS..  I don't know what you paid for the piping but the mufflers are on EB for ~$70

Yes they are on ebay for $70 US add in exchange plus shipping handling Duties Taxes be close to $120 CDN or more.