#16 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,756 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:31 PM

Also if those top pins aren't in and the tiller goes up to high the drive shaft will hit the rear axle,causing wear on the housing
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#17 lugnuts OFFLINE  

lugnuts
  • Member No: 80262
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:46 AM

Was gonna go look at tractor today but raining something awful..Tires on truck not the best so hauling a 1000 pound tractor might not be a good idea..Does anyone have any thoughts on the 1455..I know some like and some don't..Guess it's up to me..The guy want's $800'00...He has done a lot of work to it..Which it had point's instead of st ign..I can post the ad with picture's if's it okay to do it here to get some thought's..I'm probably gonna wined up spending $1200-$1300 for everything i need..Tractor/tiller/Drive shaft

#18 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 11:07 AM

You can post the link here so we can see the tractor, or you can download the pics to your computer and then upload them here.

The 1455 is a very capable tractor, but it is not as powerful a Large Frame as the ones with the Kohler twins like the 1886 and up. Bolens did go to the 1455 because there was some concern that the 1250 wasn't powerful enough and the competition was upping the ante too.
  • blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#19 lugnuts OFFLINE  

lugnuts
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 02:13 PM

You can post the link here so we can see the tractor, or you can download the pics to your computer and then upload them here.

The 1455 is a very capable tractor, but it is not as powerful a Large Frame as the ones with the Kohler twins like the 1886 and up. Bolens did go to the 1455 because there was some concern that the 1250 wasn't powerful enough and the competition was upping the ante too.

Here's the 1455..Looks good just looking at pictures..I'll probably pass..$1200.00-$1300 is a pretty big investment..Just scared the transmission or something major will go out before i get some real use out of it..I can handle working on the engine or other smaller things but would be lost on the Eaton..Plus parts are high if you're lucky enough to find them..Maybe a tube frame will pop up in my area at a reasonable price to restore later on..Want to thank everyone who was kind enough to answer my questions.. 

http://swva.craigsli...5406040036.html

#20 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 04:12 PM

Other than the fact his "refurbish" looks more like customized, I would not worry too much about the tractor giving up on you. Clearly the current owner has spent a lot of time and money on it. Personally, I don't care for the way he painted it, but physical beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But 4-way flashers as a selling point? Really!!?? If it were me, I would have to have the price reduced for the effort of welding up the holes he made in the sheet metal.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#21 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,756 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 05:25 PM

Other than the fact his "refurbish" looks more like customized, I would not worry too much about the tractor giving up on you. Clearly the current owner has spent a lot of time and money on it. Personally, I don't care for the way he painted it, but physical beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But 4-way flashers as a selling point? Really!!?? If it were me, I would have to have the price reduced for the effort of welding up the holes he made in the sheet metal.

Better than green and yellow (IMO)

• LPBolens and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#22 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 05:48 PM

I am with Doug there I would see if the guy would come down some. 

• LPBolens and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#23 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • Member No: 11152
  • 71 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:05 PM

guy is ASKING 800. should be able to get it for 700 or less. trying to figure out the 1200-1300 price unless your paying for shipping for the tractor and the cost of the tiller and shipping for that as well. it is a nice looking tractor (clean i mean). that almost looks like the same color as my 1886-05. i wonder if the color is a bolens paint job cuz on mine it's even painted the same color ALL over the tractor even on the inside of everything.

#24 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 71 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:06 PM

i like the idea of the rollers for the seat

#25 lugnuts OFFLINE  

lugnuts
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:13 PM

guy is ASKING 800. should be able to get it for 700 or less. trying to figure out the 1200-1300 price unless your paying for shipping for the tractor and the cost of the tiller and shipping for that as well. it is a nice looking tractor (clean i mean). that almost looks like the same color as my 1886-05. i wonder if the color is a bolens paint job cuz on mine it's even painted the same color ALL over the tractor even on the inside of everything.

Well if the guy won't come down that's $800.00..Shipping for tiller will be at least $150.00 +$!50.00 your price..Drive shaft probably at least $100.00 to shorten..That comes to $1200.00..That's if i'm lucky and don't need anything else..Even if i could get it for$600.00 would still have $1000.00 invested.. Not counting gas for picking it up..Really what's killing me is the shipping on tiller and shortening Drive shaft..I don't know..Might call him up and offer 400 hundred..All he can do is laugh and say no...

#26 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 71 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:02 PM

that is what i would do. it won't hurt anything. he may be asking 8 but will take less. just think of it as a tennis match...he serves...then the volley starts until you reach a price.. i love to haggle it's a fun sport

#27 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 12:29 PM

i like the idea of the rollers for the seat

Same here.........  I made some out of solid plastic... but no bearings.. 

#28 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 11:49 PM

A word of caution.

With the 1886 Bolens introduced the Collar-Locking System for the PTO.

It needs a groove on the tractor's PTO shaft for it to work.

If your tractor doesn't have that groove, the tiller shaft won't work for you, and if you shorten it, you have turned it into junk.

I know that the 1886-01 has the groove plus the hole for the pin style locking so that it's backwards compatible with the old style shaft couplings.

My HT20D however only has the groove and can only use the Collar-Locking style.

Here's a page from the 1971 brochure showing the differences.

Attached Files

• LPBolens and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#29 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 12:34 AM

If you know a handy machinist, the groove can be added to the earlier style PTO shafts. I am lucky that I know one near me.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#30 lugnuts OFFLINE  

lugnuts
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 03:35 PM

Could be wrong but believe the 1886-05 and the HT's used the different style..If you had a 18090 tiller and wanted to mount to a !886-05 or the HT's you would need 1724734 drive shaft..Just assuming this shaft is the newer style for these models..Believe arms may be different also..Anyways just offered him $500.00 but he wanted $700.00 and that was final..The tractor came from N.H so i just assumed it pushed and blowed a lot of snow..Just wasn't willing to take a gamble on it for $700'00...Besides if tiller shaft would not work a certain place said $400.00 to make one..Wheww..Would really like to have one of these Machines..I've found a few nice looking cub cadet's and wheel horse in my area..Only problem no tiller's..It's like somebody has bought up all the tiller's and have them stored in a big warehouse just to look at..LOL..Of course when you do find one with a tiller it's always 14 hrs away..In the mean time just keep looking and hoping something come's alone..