7 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:13 PM

I had three different items listed for sale, 2 on CL and one on a local swap shop type site that covers a lot of area.  I sold the first item about a week and half ago.  It was listed as IH400 with Loader Package.  The other two that were listed on CL was listed as  "Bolens 850 With Blade" and  "Bolens Gardener With Attachments".  Thursday evening A guy called and asked about the Gardener specifically.  He came and picked it up Saturday morning.  Another guy called and asked about the Bolens Tractor.  He never mentioned "Gardener", but he could have and I didn't hear him.  I called him back Friday evening and asked which tractor he was talking about to be sure were were on the same page.  He said the Bolens Tractor.  I was sure then that he meant the Bolens 850 tractor with blade.   After getting lost in a dead spot for cell phone use, he showed up.   I opened the overhead door to the shop and the 850 was right inside.  He looked around and asked wheres it at.  I pointed to the 850.  He then said he was after the Gardener.

Probably as much my fault as it was his as I didn't ask the right questions when I had 2 Bolens items for sale.  He has a running tractor but said it was "missing a lot of parts".  It was after I asked what parts he needed I realized he wanted attachments, not tractor parts.  I felt real bad for him as he said he had been looking for attachments for the Gardener for over a year.  About a 7 hour round trip and go home empty handed is not a good situation.

• DH1, Gtractor, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:35 PM

If i were going to travel 3 hours I would have pictures from vendor in advance, I would want pictures to leave the city limits!  Lesson learned for both of you.. so you could not sell him anything to keep him from going home empty handed? 

• Bolens 1000, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:37 PM

If i were going to travel 3 hours I would have pictures from vendor in advance, I would want pictures to leave the city limits! Lesson learned for both of you.. so you could not sell him anything to keep him from going home empty handed?

If I am driving more than an hour I ask for detailed pictures...if the seller refuses I pass. I've went as far as uploading videos to YouTube for people to see an item run/operate
  • Bolens 1000, MH81, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:40 PM

My wife will tell you that I NEVER get rid of anything so confusion on two things for sale at our place may not be an issue for me...BUT I will try to remember this for future reference in dealings. Could easily happen to anybody. I usually have the one where I make arrangements to see something at a specific time and watch it go by on a trailer as I get to the agreed place 20 minutes before the scheduled time :wallbanging:

#5 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:58 PM

It is not really your fault, but it is decent of you to feel bad for the guy.

Jim

• LilysDad, Chopperhed and chieffan have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 06:49 PM

If I am driving more than an hour I ask for detailed pictures...if the seller refuses I pass. I've went as far as uploading videos to YouTube for people to see an item run/operate

The picture was not the problem.  He had them off CL with full description.  I don't do videos and don't do U-
Tube.  Eats up bandwidth and I don't have unlimited amount.

Edited by chieffan, January 31, 2016 - 06:52 PM.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 06:51 PM

If i were going to travel 3 hours I would have pictures from vendor in advance, I would want pictures to leave the city limits!  Lesson learned for both of you.. so you could not sell him anything to keep him from going home empty handed? 

I offered to throw in the 42" deck with mounts $125 value easily if he would buy the 850.  Not interested.  He wants attachments for his Gardener.  going to be hard to come by.

#8 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:28 PM

I have been on both ends and it does get awkward, once to get a wheel horse suppose to be a gt14, the lady held it for me till spring as she said there was no way to get into the shop as there was 5 feet of snow down there, turns out it was a c160 and I already have 4 of them, bought it anyways so I didn't come home empty handed, then I won the race for first $400 no holds, I drive 20 minutes the other fellow 2 1/2 hrs, the guy answers his door I hand him the cash as the other guy is pulling up his lane, boy was he pissed but in all fairness the guy did tell him no holds, if it were any further from me I probably wouldn't have gone, I hate wasting time and gas so I ask if they will hold it if im going right away,