Garden Tractor Forums banner

Brother of Hulk II

35K views 489 replies 33 participants last post by  larrybl 
#1 ·
Yea, for the lack of a good name for now, I present The Brother of Hulk II. For $150 he is in pretty good shape. I still dislike belt covers on the decks, and will see about modifying the cover on this. I checked the deck and it looks good overall. I wire brushed the ends of the cover bolts and PB'd them, all came out without breaking. Cut the old belt out and all the mandrills spin, but are really tight. Some rust pitting under the cover, but not bad. All the deck bolts ate PB'd and the deck stored. I have him up on jack stands and prepping to fire the engine some time next week. Undercarriage looks pretty good.

I am thinking on an original color restore, I'll need to see if the pin striping and labels are still available.

I have a full house again.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree on the deck belt covers. A good place for grass and crud to collect and start rotting out the deck. Those big flat air cleaners on the Briggs twins make it hard to do much leaning on top of the engine area. Nice looking gathering with a variety of colors. Is that the MTD built Craftsman?

Reactions: 637Yeoman
#7 ·
That would have made the name too easy "Hulk III" :hitting_self_roller: . Looking the engine over for the plan to fire it up next week to see if it runs, and if it smokes. Hood is removed (still need to address some storage issues). I removed the drive belt (don't want to spin the tranny yet), Still need to remove the PTO, and vacuum out the top of the tins to keep the debris from flying.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thought the choke cable was frozen so I removed it. A little oil and it was working smooth, the carb choke was frozen, some carb cleaner and oil on the shaft freed it up. I checked the throttle lever and it was frozen wide open. Governor lever is smooth. I sprayed the throttle lever and it has freed up some what, still sticks a little near the closed position. I have several carbs, Just want to hear this run before I continue with the teardown.

#12 ·
#18 ·
If you go over to that other tractor forum and put your model number into the search function there is a thread that pops up from 7/15/2009. I didn't read the whole thing but those guys seem to be in agreement its a1988. I'd post up the link but never have had any luck doing that from this I Pad.

jhn9840
John

#21 ·
Messing around with him tonight. Main plan was to check the electrical, so no "gas" yet. Installed a battery and removed the drive belt. Checked all the safeties, the one under the seat is fubared. No action with the key switch. I jumped the solenoid with a booster cable clamp and it cranked. I then used a jumper from the battery + to the white solenoid wire and he cranked. So far so good. Starter sounds strong, and no un-usual clanking noises from the engine.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.