Garden Tractor Forums banner

Microsoft Office?

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  lyall 
#1 ·
Is there an Office program cheaper than Office365? I don't use it every day and I can't see paying 10 bucks a month. The most important thing for me is just to be able to receive documents through it.

#2 ·
Open Office is free and will open MS Office files! I use it. Just be sure to turn your AV off when installing as it will mess with it.

#6 ·
As stated above there is Open Office and Libreoffice. You can look here for all the current office suites available both Proprietary, free and open source. A couple I have heard about are WPS Office (formally Kingsoft office) and Softmaker. Softmaker has a free version and a pay for version. The WPS Office trys to be a direct replacement to Microsoft Office, which means it uses the MS office format. Open office and Libreoffice by default use the open document format but you can go into the settings and set the default format to any of the Microsoft formats if you require that.

Also there is Google Docs that is an office suite you can use in the cloud format. The nice thing about it is you can share your document easily across multiple platforms and still use the same tools to make changes or creating a document.

#11 ·
Libreoffice and Open Office are very nearly the same.
That's because Libreoffice is a fork from Open office. Years ago when Oracle bought Sunmicro systems (They started OO) the developers decided to split from the OO project. they started Libreoffice. I don't remember the exact reasons why they did the fork except there was controversy about Oracle supporting open source project, although Oracle now has a Linux Distro. Go figure.

Reactions: KennyP
#13 ·
The only issues I have found were if I installed it with the AV protection on. Then I had issues with PDF files and a few other things.

#14 ·
I use Libreoffice on Linux without problems. I have used Open Office on Mac but it can be a pain. I do most of my work at church on Google Docs as it allows me to have access where ever I am with an internet connection.

Reactions: HDWildBill
#15 ·
I use Libreoffice on Linux without problems. I have used Open Office on Mac but it can be a pain. I do most of my work at church on Google Docs as it allows me to have access where ever I am with an internet connection.
And Google tracks your every movement just like Windows!

#16 ·
And Google tracks your every movement just like Windows!
This is a domain owned by our congregation. You are right about the tracking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.