32 replies to this topic

#16 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 10:12 AM

looking good

power steering pump with separate reservoir will make good hydraulic pump when the time comes if you want to add one

Small, belt driven so should be easy to do

• limebuzz, boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#17 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 09:14 PM

i do have a few p/steer pumps around the place , but i also have a 1 piece unit 12 volt secretly stored some place if ya know what i mean , no clue where it is though 

ohhhh i do know where , some place between the front gate & the back fence  :smilewink:

Shane

Edited by holdenboy1960, February 20, 2016 - 09:14 PM.

• limebuzz, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#18 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 10:51 PM

i do have a few p/steer pumps around the place , but i also have a 1 piece unit 12 volt secretly stored some place if ya know what i mean , no clue where it is though 

ohhhh i do know where , some place between the front gate & the back fence  :smilewink:

Shane

HA HA I know what you mean, and it can happen in 5 or 10 minutes anymore. Just had it in my hand then it vanished, much less stuff that was secretly stored years ago! Here is a pic of a home made power steering pump setup that operates the blade raise/lower on my MF8E.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• MF8E pressure washed 006.jpg

• limebuzz, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#19 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 04:07 AM

DAC , ty for the pic it is easy to see the setup the only thing might stop me with that sort of setup is the control valve lever setup , don't think i own 1 

Shane

Edited by holdenboy1960, February 21, 2016 - 04:08 AM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#20 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 11:04 PM

DAC , ty for the pic it is easy to see the setup the only thing might stop me with that sort of setup is the control valve lever setup , don't think i own 1 

Shane

You're welcome Shane. Yeah that valve and cylinders are the spendy parts. It was already on there about 25 years ago when I got that tractor. Parts guy at work threw away a brand new 2 lever one I went dumpster diving for several years back. It's just the two cylinder control valve, no levers which will be an easy build. Just gotta think of something to use it on!

DAC

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#21 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 10:56 AM

UPDATE  

have now got the battery cables done from the battery to the solenoid with battery sat under the seat & both the side swing chains on the lift bars finished too  + the other chassis rail cut off tidy

also have extended the lift bar control handle 10 inches to make better purchase rate for attachment lifting easier      P7120056.JPG

i have cut 1 front chassis rail to wanted lenght too ,run out of blades , i was not going to travel 24 miles round trip just for grinder blades P7120059.JPG

Shane 

Edited by holdenboy1960, February 26, 2016 - 11:02 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#22 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Good to see more progress here, Shane! Keep at it!

#23 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 08:55 PM

UPDATE  

have now got the battery cables done from the battery to the solenoid with battery sat under the seat & both the side swing chains on the lift bars finished too  + the other chassis rail cut off tidy

also have extended the lift bar control handle 10 inches to make better purchase rate for attachment lifting easier      attachicon.gifP7120056.JPG

i have cut 1 front chassis rail to wanted lenght too ,run out of blades , i was not going to travel 24 miles round trip just for grinder blades attachicon.gifP7120059.JPG

Shane 

That's about how far it is to the nearest place for me too. I try to go to town to get a bunch of stuff at once rather than a bunch of trips.

DAC

#24 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 05:03 AM

Little UPDATE ,

i cut the last chassis rail off , finished the wiring in most part  & it now starts & runs off the key just got to put some tidy wrap on the wiring but now the battery charge section not working but the Headlight power off the stator is working though

so going to change the charging & light ring under the magneto  , filled the diff & over filled it ( oil every where )

took it for a run around the paddock , went well after i retensioned the clutch belt pulley , the belt was slipping a tad , the 8HP B&S engine runs Soooo Quiet compared to the ( Rancher 2 , 10HP engine , it rattles it's nut off but still goes good )

• limebuzz, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#25 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 09:36 AM

UPDATE 

got a little done on the GT during the week , got the Stainless steel latches finished on the hood 

got the foot rests (steps ) done & fitted , i used the Bolens st120 running boards for it , only had to trim 2,1/2 inches off 1 end to fit them ,

you people are corrupting me i actually drilled & threaded 1/2 af for the foot rests to mount them instead of welding 

Also have removed all the belt clutch system and replaced it with a press clutch ,cork pad sort .that tidied up the engine area a lot & made plenty of room , also drilled & threaded to bolt it on with 

this was befor P6280163.JPG  P6280162.JPG  

and this is after i have nearly finished P9130031.JPG

P9130032.JPG on this pic where the wrench handle is that's the lever to pull the thrust bearing to disengage the clutch 

still have to mount 1 tension pulley yet for the 2nd reduction belt to g/box then that part's finished

couple pic's of some bit's removed  P9130029.JPG P9130030.JPG

Shane 

• limebuzz, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#26 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Same thing here, lay something down and spend time finding it again!

I have some help, my dogs seem to wait till I put down a screw driver and them it disappears, one day I was adjusting a carb, phone rings, get back to carb "where is that screwdriver? Look around, phooey back in garage got another. Adjusting away, phone rings again, yep got back to it driver missing again !!

Must have left them by back door when answered phone. Nope...Realized I hadn't seen the dogs in awhile, so I went around other side of house here is each dog holding screwdriver in paws chewing away very happy with themselves. Since then I'm very aware of where the dogs are when I set down soft handled tools !

• KennyP, holdenboy1960 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#27 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 08:15 PM

Shane, I'm loving this build  :rocker2: Really enjoy seeing into your shop and solutions. Thanks for keeping us in the loop :thumbs:

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#28 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 02:58 AM

missing 2 pic's that didnt upload for some reason checking on them now P9130003.JPG here is 1 of them the other pic was to blurred ,this is 1 side step but both are on 

#29 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 03:02 AM

I have some help, my dogs seem to wait till I put down a screw driver and them it disappears, one day I was adjusting a carb, phone rings, get back to carb "where is that screwdriver? Look around, phooey back in garage got another. Adjusting away, phone rings again, yep got back to it driver missing again !!

Must have left them by back door when answered phone. Nope...Realized I hadn't seen the dogs in awhile, so I went around other side of house here is each dog holding screwdriver in paws chewing away very happy with themselves. Since then I'm very aware of where the dogs are when I set down soft handled tools !

when i lived in the city i had a Border Collie X long hair German Sharpard  , he used to hold my spanners for me & when in the mood used to get to odd 1 aswell 

• Alc and jpackard56 have said thanks

#30 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 03:08 AM

Shane, I'm loving this build  :rocker2: Really enjoy seeing into your shop and solutions. Thanks for keeping us in the loop :thumbs:

Ya'll welcome , i enjoy doing it & sharing the process even if it takes a while cause i'm only out bush 3 to 4 days a week & still have to work , Darn it !, 

Info

, the clutch i am setting up come out of a walk behind ,Rover, slasher mower or a reel mower not to sure now had the clutch for 10 + yrs just hoarded stuff 

• Alc, KennyP and jpackard56 have said thanks