#1 needdoe OFFLINE  

needdoe
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 80305
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 10:26 PM

Hi Guys,

Brand new to this site as well as a JD tractor and especially the Hydro-static  transmission.  I am thrilled with the amount of info I've gotten here already.  I have just got my hands on a 1981 C314K with the 14HP Kohler (K321 I think).  Sorry for such a stupid question but I had little to no luck getting any info while I was trying get this thing started or even rolling,(my release knob turned out to be stripped), and into a van.  An older thread I read seems to confirm what I began to suspect.  That is, the foot pedal on the right side, that I assumed was a Brake, is actually only for the Parking brake.  And all control, F/R, speed and also braking is done from the control lever. 

Question 1:    I hoping by looking at the info on my tractor someone can confirm this is indeed the case for my 314

Please forgive my ignorance but if i could have gotten a hold of any info I feel I'm mechanical enough to have figured it out.

Question 2;   I am hoping there is someone here who has and is willing to share any info/manuals on the 314.

As it is thanks for the most info I've been able to find so far.  Great Site!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:30 AM

JD manuals can not be found much on-line, Deere stops people from downloading those for free. You CAN buy used manuals on ebay most likely.  Go to tractor shows and swaps also to find information at manual sellers in trailers at most shows.  I'm not a deere guy, but most hydros are not supposed to be pushed w/out releasing a lever or valve or buttons in the system. Not sure what deere used. Some newer ones allow slow pushing for short distance, but most need the release. One can buy those harbor freight wheeled wood platforms or for more money, metal ones for cars and slip under the wheels for moving around in the shop. Those aren't much good for loading trailers unless you have smooth ramp and beds that casters can roll on. Sounds like you should get the manuals first, even an owner's manual to learn HOW to run the tractor and some small repairs/upkeep before you start wrenching on it and mess things up. I suppose even JD dealers can or have those manuals, but for more money of course. Check around.

• needdoe said thank you

#3 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,805 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 07:26 AM

I'm not a Deere guy but welcome to GTTALK. I agree with Gl as for what to do.
  • needdoe said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:28 AM

Congrats on the 314. I have one also. There is a small round knob down low on the console that engages/ releases the barking brake. The foot pedal applies brakes to the rear wheels, but you don't use them much because the hydro trans. provides braking in most situations. To engage/disengage the parking brake you need to push the brake pedal down, with the speed lever in neutral. It's a real contraption that often gets stuck in one position or the other, so yours may not be functioning.

• needdoe said thank you

#5 truck21 ONLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:38 AM

Please check your PM.

Don

• needdoe said thank you

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:57 AM

I owned a 314 and still own the service manual so if you have any specific questions, please post those along with the complete serial and I can check the manual.

Edited by Trav1s, January 31, 2016 - 07:45 PM.

• needdoe said thank you

#7 needdoe OFFLINE  

needdoe
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 80305
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thank you guys for everything.  I had found out not to push it without releasing the tranny and was able to get it to start after cleaning up the points a bit.  My virgin voyage on this beast would have made an entertaining youtube video.  After almost taking out a leg of the porch it was under and a smooth,for the tractor,but scary for me ride up the ramp, it basically steadily rolled itself and me into the van.  It just kept slowly moving forward while I frantically stepped on a brake that was no match for it's power.  I did get it home and ran it around a bit and crawled under checking linkages and stuff.  I had read and heard that on a lot of these Hydros stepping on the brake puts it in neutral first.  It was here that I read that is not the case on the 314. Thank you for confirming that for my particular tractor.  It seems to be running great now except a bit of a creep that can be wiggled away with the control lever.  It has a wheel weights and chains and blade on the front and that is working perfectly. 

What a great site full of people willing to share their knowledge.  What is just common sense to a lot of you could take hours for some of us to figure out even if we had information on hand.  I now know where I will come first if I have any other questions.

Again thank you all.

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:50 AM

Welcome aboard needdoe, no such thing as a ridiculous newbie question, believe me. I still have a heck of a time getting my J.D. STX38 to free wheel when trying to push it when it's not running. Must be a "safety issue", at least that's my cover story, and I'm sticking to it. Couldn't just be that I'm mechanically challenged, lol.
  • needdoe said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:04 PM

The hydro creep you mention is pretty typical for those machines if they haven't been maintained. One good source of info is the JD parts diagrams. You can access them on line at jdparts.com by doing a model number search for 314 and then selecting the garden tractor from the list. You will likely ned to disassemble the hydro linkage and clean and lub it. There is an adjustment for neutral which involves turning an eccentric bushing to adjust the linkage length so that the transmission is at neutral when the travel lever linkage is in the neutral detent. The eccentric bushing tens to get seized up so that it's almost impossible to adjust. There is also a spring on the speed adjust lever at the transmission that sometimes breaks and that will cause problems. All that stuff is fixable with some work and a few $. 

If you search through the JD forum you should be able to find lots of 314 specific topics that will give you a heads up on fixing the typical issues. Other common wear areas are front wheel bearings and steering linkage bushings, axle king pin bushings, motor mounts and drive shaft couplers. Check the drive shaft couplers for slack. They tend to wear the keyways and eventually will chew the hydro input shaft up if not caught in time. This is made worse if the motor mounts are bad. 

• Trav1s and needdoe have said thanks

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 03:42 PM

The hydro creep you mention is pretty typical for those machines if they haven't been maintained. One good source of info is the JD parts diagrams. You can access them on line at jdparts.com by doing a model number search for 314 and then selecting the garden tractor from the list. You will likely ned to disassemble the hydro linkage and clean and lub it. There is an adjustment for neutral which involves turning an eccentric bushing to adjust the linkage length so that the transmission is at neutral when the travel lever linkage is in the neutral detent. The eccentric bushing tens to get seized up so that it's almost impossible to adjust. There is also a spring on the speed adjust lever at the transmission that sometimes breaks and that will cause problems. All that stuff is fixable with some work and a few $. 

If you search through the JD forum you should be able to find lots of 314 specific topics that will give you a heads up on fixing the typical issues. Other common wear areas are front wheel bearings and steering linkage bushings, axle king pin bushings, motor mounts and drive shaft couplers. Check the drive shaft couplers for slack. They tend to wear the keyways and eventually will chew the hydro input shaft up if not caught in time. This is made worse if the motor mounts are bad. 

I have a 312 with the busted pump input from bad motor mounts.  Definitely check those out.  

• needdoe said thank you