• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • Member No: 80310
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 10:23 PM

We recently got a 1971 Sears hydro trac 14 and have been working on it for 4 days now and cannot get anything out of this engine. The engine is Briggs and Stratton 14 hp single cylinder model 320421 type 0132-01 code 7009301. We have completely taken apart the carb numerous times and cleaned it with carb cleaner, wire, and compressed air. We don't know if the fuel in the carb is going into the engine but we think it is. We took out the condenser and points and put in a magnetron magneto off a 12hp Briggs and spaced it with a business card. We get a slight erratic spark. It isn't very bright and it jumps around on the spark plug. We tested the compression and it built up about 82 psi and held that for over an hour. Please help us we have gotten many engines to run before and this one has really stumped us. I have uploaded a video of the engine turning over onto YouTube. Please help. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• MH81 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 11:01 PM

:welcometogttalk:
Nice looking hydra, lots of potential

The intake valve moves, but don't know about the exhaust.
http://youtu.be/RCGhoakez9A

Until you verify that, the rest of the questions or suggestions may not matter.

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 11:07 PM

tht is a cast iron engine. They do not take well to the magnetron. been there done that,

There is an up to/after year as to which cast iron Briggs engines that system works on, somewhere around 1981/82. 

On the up to years, you used to be able to send your flywheel back to B&S to have the polarity of the flywheel magnets reversed then Magnetron will work. IDK if this service is still available.  but in the meantime you need to clean those points and reinstall the points/condenser/original coil or like pieces if yours are in fact "shot".

• MH81, Tecumseh power and BigRedFishDad have said thanks

#4 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 11:18 PM

What you have to do on the above 6hp cast briggs is send the flywheel to briggs and get the polarity reversed on the flywheel magnets , for the magnetron . They will do it for free. The 6hp and under and aluminum ones you don't have to do it to. I have done many of those

#5 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 11:24 PM

Why did you take the points out? That is the simplest system ever to get to work.
  • karl said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:38 AM

Have you tried starter fluid or just gas in oil can to spray in the carb as it is cranked? Take off air-cleaner for that. Checked the plug to see if wet?  I have heard of the reversed magnets problem on older engines. I would also put back all orig stuff and just clean the heck out of the mounting areas on block and back of points and on the mag mount screws to good ground. I have found just cleaning these grounds is what works best. Maybe a new plug at same time. Do you have a shop manual for your engine? Might be one here, or can download and print off the Briggs site for free. You will need Adobe program to run it. Can find that free on-line if needed.

#7 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:42 AM

tomorrow I will get a new condenser and some points and then try them out and I will put the old magneto on. Thank you.

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 845 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:58 AM

Not familiar with this engine, but offhand 82PSI compression doesn't seem really strong.  No cylinder will hold its compression pressure for an hour.  Your compression tester has a check valve in it - all it staying up tells you is the check valve is good.

Get your spark working then try it with starting fluid as glgrumpy described.  There is no point in even thinking about the carburetor until you're able to light the starting fluid.  And 82PSI compression might not fire even on starting fluid.

Edited by MiCarl, January 31, 2016 - 11:59 AM.

#9 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Make sure the points are clean when you put them on sometimes even the oil from your fingers can short them out then you won't have any spark

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:00 PM

If your going to use a Magnatron ignition coil you will have to send your Flywheel in to Briggs and have the magnet re-polerized.These older briggs flywheel magnet polarity is backwards.A Magnatron ignition coil or Nova II ignition module will not work.

Don't know if this address is still valid but it was back in 2008 when I sent my last one in.I'm going to send the flywheel in off of my Sears SS14 this spring.Mine runs but has erratic spark at lower RPM.Thinking the cam lobe on mine is a bit worn.

This service was Free of charge.They did not even charge for return shipping.

Briggs and Stratton Corp.
Menomonee Falls Distribution Center
Flywheel Repolarization
N83 W12529 Old Orchard Rd.
Menomonee Falls, WI 53051 2272

Include a note in the box with name and return address and that you need it repolarized.

Edited by EricFromPa, January 31, 2016 - 12:19 PM.

• BigRedFishDad said thank you

#11 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:10 PM

Those old briggs will fire down to about 60psi compression.After that they won't pull fuel up out of the carb.There a very good,strong old engine.

Don't let the Carb scare you.Once it's perfectly clean and properly set you will not have to touch it for a long long time.Points are the same way IF your Cam lobe and points plunger are not worn.If either of those are worn then you will have troubles tuning it to where you have Both good WOT and Idle performance.

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 02:55 PM

82 may not be that bad, Briggs used to say that a normal compression test wouldn't be valid due to compression release. On holding for over an hour that isn't how a compression test is supposed to work.
The pressure you think the engine is holding is actually being held within the compression gauge not the engine.
  • BigRedFishDad said thank you

#13 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Thanks guys got the engine running today. Took off the new magneto and put on the old one and cleaned the points and condenser really good and the engine runs like a champ. Now I need some help with the transmission. I drained about 1/4 of a quart of fluid out of the hydro gear and so far have put in about 3 quarts of dextrin 3 aft and when I have the tractor on the jack it spins the tires slowly but when I put it in the ground it doesn't move......do I just need to put in more fluid? Can someone please help? Thank you.

#14 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 10:11 PM

those briggs are strong engines i got a suburban 14 8 months ago and that engine has 140 psi compression (unless my gauge is wrong) lol. only was used for snow plowing and garden work. it dont smoke at all

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 07:27 AM

If you don't have a manual that covers the hydro trac, tranny... I would advise you get one.
There may be one here in the manuals, if I have a few minutes later, I'll look too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: briggs and stratton, hydro trac, sears, antique, wont start, spark