• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:47 AM

More of the same! It's seems like a pass time for some to ridicule and complain about JD tractors. There are many great brands of tractors, all with their good and bad points. When people are going out of their way to belittle a major player in the industry it's not good for anybody in this hobby. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and we all have our favourite brand or brands. So how about folks just moderate their own comments on JD, and keep it fair and objective. 

• michael.kitko, Leonard VanCamp and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#17 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 03:45 PM

Which part isn't nice of the base tractor? The Onan B43, (or P218 depending on year) the Sunstrand 15 hydro, or the Peerless rear end? Maybe it's the two spools of hydraulics available on the front end? I know, it's the dash mounted hydro. No, Simplicity used a tower mounted hydro lever on lots of models also so that's not it.

Maybe it's the green paint. But I don't see posts saying a Deutz Ultima is an inferior machine to a Sunstar because of the color.

Maybe the attachments? The 50 deck sold for the 318 cuts as nice as any Simplicity deck, minus the striping. The 49 blower is a very heavy built single stage, and the 47 two stage is a monster. The powerflo bagging system works very well. Their tillers, especially the hydraulic one, do an awesome job.

Maybe it's because it's a unpopular GT with a short production run. 1983-1992, with over 600,000 units sold.

Lots of members here came from another forum where the majority of the posts were about JD garden tractors, and some of the members there have some superiority complexes because of it. But we also have some great members here who collect JD garden tractors and mostly sit on their hands and bite their tongue when someone throws out another barb against the green and yellow.

I've owned two JD's, one GT (212) and one LT (185). They were the two most reliable machines that were ever in my stable. They are gone because I fix, I pretty them up, and then move on to the next project. I would be more than happy to have more back in the shed to fix up, but due to their popularity they are usually out of my price range. But that doesn't mean I'm going to bash the brand, and I'm about done with reading others do it when they don't know what they're talking about.

:iagree:

I am about as anti-John Deere as they come, but I won't bash them for being 'bad' tractors.

The 318 is a perfectly fine GT.  Not the "Super Tractor" that the JD marketing weasels and some JD enthusiasts would like for you to believe, but a decent tractor nonetheless.

Also, even though I'm not big a fan of the JDs, I still don't like to see one desecrated like the one in the ad.

I didnt meen to hurt any feelings. i weas just picking. im not a john deere guy but i wish people wouldnt destroy them.

They made a good machine but they aren't my favorite.

• MH81, michael.kitko and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#18 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 05:08 PM

It's funny how some comments get peoples hackles up. I am a big JD fan, but I will not bash another brand (except the new stamped steel box store trash). All tractors have their strengths and weakness, regardless of who made them or what color paint is on them. The companies that produce them may have questionable virtues, but if they make a good product, then it is a good product. So I don't rate a machine on what color it is but if it does the job it is supposed to do with little to no problems. I can see a little ribbing between members, but think on why this group is here, the love of restoring and showcasing ALL of our machines, regardless of make or color. Ok, getting off my soapbox now. Another thing, doing that to a 318 is sacrilegious to JD fan.
  • olcowhand, MH81, ENafziger and 1 other said thanks

#19 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:20 PM

I am a JD guy...I think mainly because I was raised around them and on them, anyways I also agree with others. I love em all, well to agree with the above, maybe not a stamped steel big box store one, but most of the others. I love the look of a Ford 8N, the Super M can't be unrecognised. I love a Supertwin and a David Bradley. The Cases are beasts...pretty much any. Of course I love the sound of a Johnny Popper, but a throaty Kohler and Wisconsin are also great...

I did not think this would spur this kind of discussion...
  • olcowhand, Leonard VanCamp and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 03:59 PM

It's just something that has been simmering on the back burner for a long while. For whatever reason, JD is the brand that many people feel they can bash. Not much bashing at all on other brands. So it was  time for an honest response to the biased criticism. 

• OldBuzzard, michael.kitko, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#21 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 07:55 PM

JOHN DEERE and several others, built top of the line tractors, as well as less quality oriented models. I really don't dislike Deere at all, but I do get tired of the Deere worship by some. JD basically out marketed the other major players and took control of the market, congrats to them, they won in that regard. But they aren't the Golden Fleece, any more than they're crap buckets, they're just good tractors for the most part.
  • MGP59DB said thank you

#22 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 08:32 PM

It's just something that has been simmering on the back burner for a long while. For whatever reason, JD is the brand that many people feel they can bash. Not much bashing at all on other brands. So it was  time for an honest response to the biased criticism. 

I understand your feelings, and yes there is a certain level of JD bashing which really isn't right.

But, the other side is that there are a lot of Deere owners that seem to feel free to bash any and all other brands, so it's not a one way street.

I can't count the number of times I've been on various tractor forums where someone is asking for help with something like a Farmall or Oliver, or some other brand and some clown (usually with JD somewhere in his name) posts "Get a Deere", as if that would solve his problem.

I know that those 'clowns' are a very small minority of JD owners, but they are so vocal and obnoxious that the decent JD owners suffer for their actions. 

• Leonard VanCamp and MGP59DB have said thanks

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Which part isn't nice of the base tractor? The Onan B43, (or P218 depending on year) the Sunstrand 15 hydro, or the Peerless rear end? Maybe it's the two spools of hydraulics available on the front end? I know, it's the dash mounted hydro. No, Simplicity used a tower mounted hydro lever on lots of models also so that's not it.

Maybe it's the green paint..

It's the old Ford vs Chevy schtick. I think it mostly boils down to what your pappy drove. For me, when I was 5 we lived on a farm that used Internationals.

• limebuzz and MGP59DB have said thanks

#24 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 05:30 PM

I emailed him he wants $2,100 for that tractor
  • olcowhand and michael.kitko have said thanks

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 05:57 PM

I understand your feelings, and yes there is a certain level of JD bashing which really isn't right.

But, the other side is that there are a lot of Deere owners that seem to feel free to bash any and all other brands, so it's not a one way street.

I can't count the number of times I've been on various tractor forums where someone is asking for help with something like a Farmall or Oliver, or some other brand and some clown (usually with JD somewhere in his name) posts "Get a Deere", as if that would solve his problem.

I know that those 'clowns' are a very small minority of JD owners, but they are so vocal and obnoxious that the decent JD owners suffer for their actions. 

I realize that happens, but my advice to all members is to set your tone here based on what is happening here, not what has gone on in other forums. For the most part people keep it polite here and I don't see a lot of brand bashing other than for the occasional attacks on JD. I do see a lot of acknowledgement of the quality and advantages of other brands by collectors and users of one particular brand. 

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#26 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 06:13 PM

It's the old Ford vs Chevy schtick. I think it mostly boils down to what your pappy drove. For me, when I was 5 we lived on a farm that used Internationals.

I was getting ready to say this same thing , then I saw your post.

I try not to bash any brand . But I get some flack about the 'Electric Blue and Nugget Gold' like "Why would you paint it those colors ?"

Because that's the color it is !

I stay away from JDs because the market is saturated with them . And this 

I can't count the number of times I've been on various tractor forums where someone is asking for help with something like a Farmall or Oliver, or some other brand and some clown (usually with JD somewhere in his name) posts "Get a Deere", as if that would solve his problem

Shoulda bought a Chevy! But you don't know a Jeep until you try one.

• olcowhand said thank you

#27 warrior120 OFFLINE  

warrior120
  • Member No: 77709
  • 56 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Nice pic

#28 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 02:54 PM

Not always. My dad always drove Fords. My brother and I both drive Chevy's. 

As far as tractors go I like to rag on the JD guys for their cultist attachment to them, but if I got a good deal on one I guarantee you I would own it. 

• LilysDad said thank you

#29 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 03:01 PM

I like to rag on the JD guys for their cultist attachment to them,

Do you think there is any connection between aliens and the origin of JD? Just askin'!

• MGP59DB said thank you

#30 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 04:44 PM

Do you think there is any connection between aliens and the origin of JD? Just askin'!

Well they are green!

• MGP59DB said thank you