20 replies to this topic

#16 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,803 Thanks
  • 2,205 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 03:41 PM

We also used the jowls as fresh and cured meat, very similar to bacon/side pork. Does anyone make headcheese anymore? Sounds grim, but it's delicious. I have recipe/method if anyone is interested.

There is a guy that works with my cousin whose mother still makes it, she gets all the heads.

#17 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,803 Thanks
  • 2,205 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 03:44 PM

We also used to make scrapple and liverwurst.Used to make maple syrup,apple butter and sauerkraut but not no more since all the older people have died.

Scrapple?      I do plan on making liverwurst. I hope freezing the livers won't effect them ,just don't have time yet to do it. Any recipes for Liverwurst , I'm interested. I did find some online , but a family favorite would  be great.

#18 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Tom, I agree with you.  Pasture raised anything is the best.  As the farmers here know.

Your bacon still has my mouth watering.

We buy a half or whole beef from a local Amish farmer.  The meat cutter, Amish as well, does a great job and when I pick it up, it's the best view in the county from his home.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#19 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 09:06 PM

We also used to make scrapple and liverwurst.Used to make maple syrup,apple butter and sauerkraut but not no more since all the older people have died.

Down south we don't make liverwurst. We make live mush. Pork liver, corn meal, spices. A few slices fire and a big bowl of grits is hard to beat.

I don't know anyone that makes apple butter anymore because no one has a copper kettle. And it's too expensive to buy one, if you can find one.

We do make pear preserves and pickle most anything.

#20 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,750 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 09:17 PM

We have apple butter, but send the extra to Alabama with my mother to trade for pecan honey butter.

#21 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 05:45 AM

At our annual family campout we try to do some oldtime things. Like making scrapple, cider, Apple butter.