20 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 08:35 AM

My cousin raises pigs, and every year I buy one. This year I bought  two. He tried a new breed, hampshire/ yorkshire mix. It is the best flavored we've had yet.

He normally processes them in November, but due to several things, they didn't get processed till January. They weighed in at 180 &195 lbs. This year I went with him to process the meat, choose my cuts. Here they are hanging waiting to be cut up.

IMG_1803.jpg

And my my nephew who does most of the work taking care of them, agricultural major at the Vo-Ag school .

IMG_1804.jpg

When we got it home we had to try it right away. The first was the pork chops, nice 1-1/4" thick. Tasty!

IMG_1808.jpg

Next we cased the sausage ourselves, only thing he doesn't do . We have 22lbs of sweet italian and 18 lbs of breakfast.

IMG_1809.jpg

Wednesday we received the smoked hams and bacon, all 130lbs. Here are the first ham steaks , and they were delicious.

IMG_1832.jpg

Last and my favorite the BACON ! There is 29 -1lb packages, that won't last long. They are thick cut , about 1/8" and we just had the first batch. As you can see in the second picture, the little fat rendered off from cooking the whole pound. Barely covered the pan, as compared to the stuff you get in the store. 

IMG_1835.jpg IMG_1836.jpg

The total cost including all the smoking and all his other expenses , was $1200 for both pigs , all 375lbs of hanging weight. Factor in the bones, skin and things you don't eat, and I'm guessing 300lbs. That's $4 a lb for fresh healthy delicious pork. This year I might make it all the way till next years harvest without running out. Once you have eaten this quality of meat, it's really hard to eat what comes off the store shelves. 

Edited by TomLGT195, January 30, 2016 - 08:37 AM.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Gtractor and 11 others have said thanks

#2 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 08:42 AM

Looks really good, my uncle used to raise them and I would buy one . Can't beat fresh!
  • KennyP, TomLGT195 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 09:14 AM

Now you're making me hungry! Love good pork, especially BACON!

• TomLGT195, chieffan and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#4 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 09:21 AM

What made them so $$$$$$ ?? The cutting or smoking? I raise them as well for fresh organic pork and figured it to be $1.75 for all the fresh cuts and the smoked stuff was about $3.00 a lb because of weight loss after smoking.
My local slaughter house gets $45 to do each pig hanging halved. If I only had a butcher shop... I cut all the meat myself and save even more, but alas I have to pay for that too... Hopefully beef sales this year will help fund a new butcher shop at the farm.. I don't need a fancy pants setup, just a small legit facility so I can do my own cutting and pass the savings on to customers.
As for my pork, no more grain Fed... The grain is not natural to them.. And very $$$ for the non gmo stuff that is "old school" deep rooted crop stuff. YES I'm One of those kind of guys... Don't like to eat or feed junk..

Edited by skyrydr2, January 30, 2016 - 09:24 AM.

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195, Jazz and 1 other said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 10:20 AM

Yummy!.... Pork, Ham and Bacon, all from the same magical animal!

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 11:16 AM

PORK, the other "white" meat!

• TomLGT195 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 11:53 AM

About feed. My Olde Deere followed what he called the GIGO formula..... garbage in equals garbage out. We always fed the best to our stock, be it chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, sheep, goats, pigs or cattle. Whatever it is that you buy in the stores may be called meat, but it sure doesn't taste like what we butcher. To quote Crocodile Dundee, "you can eat it, but it tastes like sh!!"I'll probably never butcher another beef or pig again myself, but I'll feed them out and have them butchered for me, and happily eat them, knowing what they have been fed and how they've been treated.
  • skyrydr2, Bmerf, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#8 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 12:18 PM

What made them so $$$$$$ ?? The cutting or smoking? I raise them as well for fresh organic pork and figured it to be $1.75 for all the fresh cuts and the smoked stuff was about $3.00 a lb because of weight loss after smoking.
My local slaughter house gets $45 to do each pig hanging halved. If I only had a butcher shop... I cut all the meat myself and save even more, but alas I have to pay for that too... Hopefully beef sales this year will help fund a new butcher shop at the farm.. I don't need a fancy pants setup, just a small legit facility so I can do my own cutting and pass the savings on to customers.
As for my pork, no more grain Fed... The grain is not natural to them.. And very $$$ for the non gmo stuff that is "old school" deep rooted crop stuff. YES I'm One of those kind of guys... Don't like to eat or feed junk..

Keith,The smoking was $2 lb this year, doubled from last year. I also make sure my cousin is paid for his time. At $3+ lb which is hanging weight formula, that's comparable to what local shops down here charge. I'm glad to help my cousin, and I get fresh meat that i know was fed correctly.

• skyrydr2, oldedeeres and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 12:20 PM

About feed. My Olde Deere followed what he called the GIGO formula..... garbage in equals garbage out. We always fed the best to our stock, be it chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, sheep, goats, pigs or cattle. Whatever it is that you buy in the stores may be called meat, but it sure doesn't taste like what we butcher. To quote Crocodile Dundee, "you can eat it, but it tastes like sh!!"I'll probably never butcher another beef or pig again myself, but I'll feed them out and have them butchered for me, and happily eat them, knowing what they have been fed and how they've been treated.

I agree, let someone else do the butchering, and with my cousin growing i know they eat healthy.

• skyrydr2, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 12:56 PM

That is some good eating.  Pork shoulder roast and side meat is scare since most of it goes to hams, picknics and bacon.

So when butchering I never have it cured.

#11 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 12:59 PM

Cool beans !!!!  we raised pigs for years till it got to expensive to do so.  the cost of feed and the pigs themselves got to be to much, then we bought our house and now have no place to do it.  looks like you did ok with them, lots of good cuts.

Pete

#12 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 06:40 PM

We used to butcher every year and a good part of the hog went for sausage.We would run it through the grinder twice.It's very hard to buy fresh pork as every day makes a difference on the taste.Most people could not tell the difference from fresh to something that has been in the freezer for 6 months.I have friends who can eat just about anything and life would be a lot easier for me if I were that way.

• skyrydr2, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#13 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 07:17 AM

That is some good eating.  Pork shoulder roast and side meat is scare since most of it goes to hams, picknics and bacon.
So when butchering I never have it cured.

I only did the rear hams, front legs were not cured/ smoked. Left as full roasts.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#14 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:55 AM

We also used the jowls as fresh and cured meat, very similar to bacon/side pork. Does anyone make headcheese anymore? Sounds grim, but it's delicious. I have recipe/method if anyone is interested.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#15 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:36 AM

We also used to make scrapple and liverwurst.Used to make maple syrup,apple butter and sauerkraut but not no more since all the older people have died.

• oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks