The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,362 Thanks
  • 3,800 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 07:36 PM

National Drive Stupid Day!!!!

Got called into work on a VERY nice weather day  :( today.   Only the third day I've worked this year so guess I shouldn't complain.

Had a short run - only 142 miles total.  What I hauled would have fit in the back seat of my car,  I made the comment that this wasn't even worth the diesel fuel.  Bosshole says Theres over $50,000 there.

Note to self:  Ag chemicals are high priced. 

Anyhow,  I saw a semi that completely lost its right fron tire/wheel assembly.  He got it to the shoulder and stopped safely - somehow.  Couldn't get a pic of that one. 

Next was ...  well,  I don't now what happened.  This was when I got back in town. 1/2 block from where I work.  The buildings in the background is my companys place.  No skid marks - they just drove off in the ditch.  Side airbags were deployed.  I thought you had to be going 35MPH for airbags?   Couldn't have been anywhere close to that speed.  Not much damage to the vehicle.  Gestapo had just rolled up.

crash 1.jpg

That intersection right behind the cop car is a 4 way stop

I cut out of work early because its so nice and this mess is about 300 feet from my driveway....

crash 2.jpg ,crash 3.jpg

Looks like they casually crossed the oncoming lane and ran off the left side of the road and then whipped it hard, losing all control.  Sliding around 180 degrees from which they started while going back across both lanes leaving nice black marks.  Off the road on their own side however backwards and into the ditch.  Ground was thawed and very muddy so that might have saved the car.    

Edited by Gtractor, January 30, 2016 - 06:55 AM.

• KennyP, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,581 Thanks
  • 38,979 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 07:46 PM

I thought that was every day!

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,288 Thanks
  • 8,663 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 07:53 PM

I'm on the phone instead of the big moniter, so help me out here.

You guys run Case and NH backhoes?

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,102 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 08:03 PM

Just one of those days, I figure. Here in pei, they take out the street lights in the medians , almost every second week. Can't see where there going , I guess.

• Gtractor said thank you

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,362 Thanks
  • 3,800 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 08:20 PM

I'm on the phone instead of the big moniter, so help me out here.

You guys run Case and NH backhoes?

There is a construction company between the wreck and where I work. 

I haul ag chemicals.  I had the zoom on so the background looks compact.

When I worked for the city I ran a JCB backhoe a bunch of hours.  :wallbanging:

JCB stands for Junk Cities Buy

Edited by Gtractor, January 29, 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#6 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,158 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 08:38 PM

Looks like my daily commute, every day I see two or three troopers and usually they have someone pulled over and yet at least twice a week I see some jackoff trying to pass three cars on a double line or some idiot of the road in a ditch !!!! glad it wasn't you :thumbs:

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 09:12 PM

Yeah it is tough all over. In the 28 yrs I drove back and forth to Des Moines I think I have seen it all.
Most memorable was driving under a set of duals after a Yellow Freight wore the rear axle off, then there was the Hopper Bottom that broke the retainers on a complete set of duals and being in a string of traffic when an extention ladder slid across the road in front of me with a motorcycle in the next lane.

Mostly I always try to leave an escape route, but you can not always do it.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,754 Thanks
  • 4,262 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 08:09 AM

What is it with driver these days?  Seems like they are getting worse every year.  And it is not always the younger ones either.  I have seen that transformation right here in our town.  When I was chief for the 10+ years we had driving under control.  STOP meant just that.  None of this U-turn crap to park on the other side of the street.  Seat belts by front seat occupants were mandatory.  Period.  Seat belt use was at 80% usage.  Now it is closer to 8%.  Personally, it all boils down to UNIFORM traffic enforcement.  City, County and State all have to work together to get the job done.  Then politics come into play.  Co. takes over the City law enforcement.  Sheriff is elected and don't want to loose his job so makes sure he don't make anyone unhappy that might vote for him.  His deputy's follow his orders.  So you have the state trying to do it all and it don't work that way.

There, I have had my rant on this topic.  Every one of us has to drive 6 vehicles every time we are on the road.  The one we are driving, one on all for sides of us + the one we didn't see.  Stay safe and good luck.

Edited by chieffan, January 30, 2016 - 08:11 AM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks