• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 10:38 AM

If someone wants to load an excel template each of us could tackle one or two models and post it - then someone could take the information and merge it -  just a suggestion.

That's a good suggestion. The fun part is the template!

#17 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 11:06 AM

If someone wants to load an excel template each of us could tackle one or two models and post it - then someone could take the information and merge it -  just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion. That might end up being Plan B. My Plan A is to take advantage of the capabilities of software programs to essentially eliminate typing. And it would be much faster as well.

What I may end up asking for if this gets off the ground is scans to PDF files of parts lists that I do not have.

#18 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 01:50 PM

Just a thought I had reading this, not sure if it'll help or if Bolens did it but in the back of the old Cub Cadet parts books at work there is a list of every part number in the book and it lists which models it was used on.  The books cover multiple generations of tractors in each one.  International also used to send out a list to the dealers called a Where Used list that did the same thing.  Not as easy to search through as an online program but if Bolens did something similar and someone could find it it might help.                  Stewart

• LPBolens said thank you

#19 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 02:04 PM

I have software that can take a scanned parts list as a PDF and convert it into an Excel spreadsheet. Then I would double check it to make sure that the conversion did not introduce any errors. Then the corrected spreadsheet could be uploaded to a database manager like Microsoft Access.

Well, Doug, you're way ahead of me with your computer prowess!

The parts price lists are fine for creating a numerical listing of the parts, but many of the parts breakdowns have text, diagrams, reference numbers, and part numbers on the same page.  ...How does the software pull out just the part numbers?

How would you handle the confusion of superseded part numbers?  .....Or, the same part number used for two different parts?

Your proposed project is fascinating!  .....I would be happy to participate if I could be of use, but please be aware my computer skills are minimal. 

#20 slf-uk ONLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Creating a parts database is a fantastic idea, I spend a lot of time manually cross referencing parts lists to see if the part on one model of tractor is the same on another. Living in the UK and having to wait weeks for parts to arrive I will often temporarily take the same part off a different tractor while I am waiting. 

I echo what others have said about the work involved but the output would be unbelievable. You might want to start with one type of tractor and do all the models within that range, in order to produce an early usable resource that can be tested for value. Say for example do all tube frame models, or all large frame, or another type. Also you might want to mock up the database with a few records to see what it would look like.

I am genuinely excited about having access to the type of database you are suggesting and if you can think of a way that others can help, count me in!

Iain

• LPBolens and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#21 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 03:35 PM

Well, Doug, you're way ahead of me with your computer prowess!

The parts price lists are fine for creating a numerical listing of the parts, but many of the parts breakdowns have text, diagrams, reference numbers, and part numbers on the same page.  ...How does the software pull out just the part numbers?

How would you handle the confusion of superseded part numbers?  .....Or, the same part number used for two different parts?

Your proposed project is fascinating!  .....I would be happy to participate if I could be of use, but please be aware my computer skills are minimal. 

Once the parts list has been scanned and made into a PDF file, that file can be edited to remove diagrams, etc. from the way the file displays. Then the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software will only execute a conversion on a list that already looks like an Excel spreadsheet. Two different parts with the same part number, or superseded parts, might be a bump in the road, though.

On the plus side, if you have some NOS parts that have attached part numbers or used parts that have the part number on them on the shelf , you would be able to identify the tractors that used them.

Edited by LPBolens, January 29, 2016 - 03:39 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#22 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 05:26 PM

I'm glad to see all the interest in this,Doug I'm not the best on the computer but will help in any way I can

#23 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 09:07 PM

I'm glad to see all the interest in this,Doug I'm not the best on the computer but will help in any way I can

Enough interest that I am going to give it a try. I am thinking to start with the Large Frames because I have the most complete set of hard copies of those parts lists of any of the Bolens tractors.

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#24 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 10:01 PM

I have software that can take a scanned parts list as a PDF and convert it into an Excel spreadsheet. Then I would double check it to make sure that the conversion did not introduce any errors. Then the corrected spreadsheet could be uploaded to a database manager like Microsoft Access.

And being mostly retired I might have the time. And if I decide to pursue this, I may be asking some of you to loan lists that you have or scan them for me. Let me see how this goes. I will start with the ones I have and see if it can actually work.

(And NO WRETCHED TYPING, Jerome!)

Not being wretched at all Doug trying to make fun of how much time I spent on stuff I know they way I say it did not look funny.     Doug I hope you can up with something it would be nice to have

#25 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 12:04 AM

Well, I started out on this project with an original Bolens paper copy of a 1250 (197-01) parts list from my files. First I scanned it with my computer to make a 6 page PDF file. Then I ran the converter software to turn that into an Excel file.

In the process I learned a few things. When scanning the paper copy it is VERY important to make sure that it scans straight. If the PDF file shows a crooked image, it does not convert properly. Then I noted that not all of the fractions converted properly into Excel, so the editing I had to do in Excel was primarily to fix the dimensional data in the part descriptions.

Even so, I was able to get the whole parts list together in about 90 minutes. As I get better at this, probably the time for each tractor model will come down. So I am off and running on the Large Frames to start.
  • Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#26 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 02:07 AM

If you have Microsoft Excel 2007 (or newer) capability on your computer, take a look at the 1250-01 Parts List Excel file I created from a paper copy using software.

Attached File  1250-01 Master.xlsx   24.48KB   53 downloads

I am thinking that to differentiate among the various versions of the same tractor that Bolens manufactured, I might need to create the Model Name in the format of 1250-01, 1250-02, etc. On the other hand, as long as the Model Number reflects the changes (as in 197-01, 197-02, etc.) maybe just showing 1250 in the first column is sufficient.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Edited by LPBolens, January 30, 2016 - 02:07 AM.

• OldBuzzard, Bruce Dorsi and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#27 slf-uk ONLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 04:10 AM

I have just looked at the excel file and it looks great. I would have thought just showing the model number in the first Column would be sufficient but it will be interesting to see what others think.

In the paper parts lists each part number had a reference number to a diagram. What would be really cool would be to retain the reference number and scan the diagram as a picture, then when the information is imported into a database you could have a link from the part for a particular tractor to pop up the picture. I guess the easiest way would be two additional columns with reference number and a unique picture reference. Just a thought.

Great work!
Iain

#28 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 10:12 AM

Nice job,this is going to be interesting to watch

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, January 30, 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#29 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 10:20 AM

If you have Microsoft Excel 2007 (or newer) capability on your computer, take a look at the 1250-01 Parts List Excel file I created from a paper copy using software.

attachicon.gif1250-01 Master.xlsx

I am thinking that to differentiate among the various versions of the same tractor that Bolens manufactured, I might need to create the Model Name in the format of 1250-01, 1250-02, etc. On the other hand, as long as the Model Number reflects the changes (as in 197-01, 197-02, etc.) maybe just showing 1250 in the first column is sufficient.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Since there was never a 1250-01 or 1250-02 designation, I think showing just 1250 in the first column is sufficient.

What do you do with 1886 models?  ....All were 1886, but with -01,-02,-03, etc, and 1886S ?

Things may get more confusing with newer models where Serial numbers affect which are the correct parts.

Am I correct that the Excel file you linked to is just the first step in a process, and that same file will not be used for future reference?  .....The reason I ask, is that the part numbers as they appear are not in numerical order, so finding anything by part number will require searching through the 460+ part numbers. 

Please excuse my ignorance.  ....I'm better with wrenches than I am with a computer!

I'm certain I will learn a lot as this project progresses.

Thank you for your efforts, Doug !!!!

#30 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 11:01 AM

The parts can be resorted in numerical order without screwing up the file, as long as all lines are sorted together so you don't scramble the part number and description pairing.

When all of it is in a database format, it will not matter what order it is in. The search dialog box will allow the user to input the part number and the database will return all of the tractors that part was used on.

The reason I asked about the -01, -02, etc. designations relates to the changes that Bolens made to a particular model. As an example, I have parts lists for the 1250 (197-01) and the 1250 (197-02). They may be the same for all I know, but they could just as easily be different.
  • Bruce Dorsi and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks