LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 04:01 PM

Has anyone created or seen a computer-based, searchable database of Bolens tractor parts? I am NOT talking about MTD Bolens stuff, but for the tractors produced by the original company in Port Washington. The lists on-line only go back just so far.

I know that there are paper parts lists out there, and microfiche too, but I am thinking about creating a database that would include the Bolens part number, part description used by Bolens, and all the tractors that the part was used on.
  • Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens QT-17 OFFLINE  

Bolens QT-17
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77823
  • 119 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 04:09 PM

I go onto Sams Bolens.

Samsbolens.com

Edited by Bolens QT-17, January 28, 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 05:48 PM

WOW !  Brian.  That is one heck of an undertaking but would be great to have available.

#4 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Bolens QT-17, I appreciate the response but you may have misunderstood the question. I have parts lists for all of the tractors and attachments that I own, and some for tractors and attachments that I do not own. I know Sam and to my knowledge, Sam's website does not have a searchable database that does what I am envisioning.

With a computer-based, searchable database, you would be able to enter a part number if you knew it, and the database could provide all of the tractors or attachments that used that part number.

Edited by LPBolens, January 28, 2016 - 05:57 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:13 PM

It would be nice but that is one heck of an undertaking from scratch!!!

Each year Bolens did give dealer pricing sheets with part numbers in order , but were talking about tens of thousands of part numbers since they started with their 6 digit numbering system and later went up to 176-XXXX / 177-XXX numbers to end at the gardenway era.

I think for the 1920-1930 stuff they even had 5 digit part numbers

The parts would many times be used on several models so you would need to search, tubeframes,largeframes ect to get them down.

Part numbers would not be hard at all but listing each model they fit would be a killer

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#6 Bolens QT-17 OFFLINE  

Bolens QT-17
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77823
  • 119 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:15 PM

Bolens QT-17, I appreciate the response but you may have misunderstood the question. I have parts lists for all of the tractors and attachments that I own, and some for tractors and attachments that I do not own. I know Sam and to my knowledge, Sam's website does not have a searchable database that does what I am envisioning.

With a computer-based, searchable database, you would be able to enter a part number if you knew it, and the database could provide all of the tractors or attachments that used that part number.

Oh sorry, :rolling:

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,352 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Has anyone created or seen a computer-based, searchable database of Bolens tractor parts? I am NOT talking about MTD Bolens stuff, but for the tractors produced by the original company in Port Washington. The lists on-line only go back just so far.

I know that there are paper parts lists out there, and microfiche too, but I am thinking about creating a database that would include the Bolens part number, part description used by Bolens, and all the tractors that the part was used on.

Doug you would be the man if you could pull that off,can't imagine how much work it's going to be,good luck if you decide to tackle it

#8 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,205 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 07:50 PM

I could do a spreed sheet that does all that you ask but that would be around 100 hours of work. 

#9 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 663 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:48 PM

I could do a spreed sheet that does all that you ask but that would be around 100 hours of work. 

O k , Well let's do the math. let's see there are 8 working hours in a day x 5 days = 40 hr  Ok  now times that by 3  fully weeks of work  = 120 hr  So there you go . now with all the other stuff you have to , Sleep , fix the stuff that needs to be fix , work a reg full time job , and if you are like me this will REALLY cut in to the beer drinking time , so time for more math = + - /  no it wont work . sorry  the math is just not there for this to be done . back to the chair and drinking of the beer .

Patrick.

• wilberj said thank you

#10 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,205 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:51 PM

O k , Well let's do the math. let's see there are 8 working hours in a day x 5 days = 40 hr  Ok  now times that by 3  fully weeks of work  = 120 hr  So there you go . now with all the other stuff you have to , Sleep , fix the stuff that needs to be fix , work a reg full time job , and if you are like me this will REALLY cut in to the beer drinking time , so time for more math = + - /  no it wont work . sorry  the math is just not there for this to be done . back to the chair and drinking of the beer .

Patrick.

So a year or two lol?   I already have 15 hours into my large frame and tube frame spread sheet and that was over 4 months.   Plus its not done. 

#11 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 10:29 PM

I have software that can take a scanned parts list as a PDF and convert it into an Excel spreadsheet. Then I would double check it to make sure that the conversion did not introduce any errors. Then the corrected spreadsheet could be uploaded to a database manager like Microsoft Access.

And being mostly retired I might have the time. And if I decide to pursue this, I may be asking some of you to loan lists that you have or scan them for me. Let me see how this goes. I will start with the ones I have and see if it can actually work.

(And NO WRETCHED TYPING, Jerome!)

Edited by LPBolens, January 28, 2016 - 10:56 PM.

• OldBuzzard, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#12 Dan O OFFLINE  

Dan O
  • Member No: 79593
  • 70 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 11:16 PM

That would be an awesome resource to have, if you can put it together without giving up all your spare time.

• LPBolens and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#13 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 12:16 AM

I have software that can take a scanned parts list as a PDF and convert it into an Excel spreadsheet. Then I would double check it to make sure that the conversion did not introduce any errors. Then the corrected spreadsheet could be uploaded to a database manager like Microsoft Access.

And being mostly retired I might have the time. And if I decide to pursue this, I may be asking some of you to loan lists that you have or scan them for me. Let me see how this goes. I will start with the ones I have and see if it can actually work.

(And NO WRETCHED TYPING, Jerome!)

I think you are on to something using the computer program to make the original list, and then check it for errors, may weed out human error too.

#14 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 06:12 AM

I go onto Sams Bolens.

Samsbolens.com

Have you looked at what we have in our manuals section?

Sam has a lot of stuff, but nowhere near what we have here.

I think that it would be a good idea, even if it was only for the large frames, tube frames, and possibly their attachments.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#15 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,132 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 09:22 AM

If someone wants to load an excel template each of us could tackle one or two models and post it - then someone could take the information and merge it -  just a suggestion.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 1 other said thanks