• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KiltedKurmudgeon OFFLINE  

KiltedKurmudgeon
  • Member No: 79454
  • 13 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 11:57 PM

Hey all. I've been through the manuals section and 2/3 of the internet ans still haven't found what I'm looking for. Does anyone have a diagram, pics, or part numbers of the throttle and governor linkage on a 16hp Briggs in a 72 Monty Ward/Gilson tractor.

The previous owner concocted a goofy setup with a really stiff spring from the throttle cable to the governor arm with one link going up to the throttle and another spring going to a homemade bracket that is bolted to the block. His thinking must have been to use the lower spring to counter the excessive pull of the other one. I know it isn't right--and it almost kida works--but can't recall what setup these things had and none of my books shows it for this series engine with a Flo-Jet. The last time I worked on one of this type was 20-odd years ago and I'm lucky to remember where my keys are, much less what I did back then.

It's a 16HP B&S 326434  0134-01 in a 72 Monty Ward/Gilson 33144B with a Flo-Jet 392587 carb.

1426625_1676202205981013_513844440188550

If anyone has any info, or a link to it or a book I overlooked in the manuals section it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 12:36 AM

Your linkage should look like this. The 320000 series Briggs used two governor springs as shown in the pics. Part numbers will be shown in the link.
https://www.partstre...rings-controls/

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160128_003443-1.jpg

Edited by classic, January 28, 2016 - 01:03 AM.

• Bolens 1000, DougT, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:19 AM

Is this any help. 10 hp thou. May not be the same.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• EricFromPa and KiltedKurmudgeon have said thanks

#4 KiltedKurmudgeon OFFLINE  

KiltedKurmudgeon
  • 13 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 02:32 PM

Your linkage should look like this. The 320000 series Briggs used two governor springs as shown in the pics. Part numbers will be shown in the link.
https://www.partstre...rings-controls/

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Same setup on mine except it's a cable instead of the screw adjustment like an auger or pump engine. Cable drops in from above so it's the same linkage. I knew there was another arm in there but couldn't recall how it all fit together. That's a lifesaver...well, a sanity saver at least. The link will help too. I'd rather just order the parts and have it right than mess around with springs from local sources and fabbing the other arm.

Is this any help. 10 hp thou. May not be the same.

Noel

That's what it should be. Same think as my 16. The pic will help. Thanks.

• propane1 said thank you

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 02:55 PM

Just make sure you use only the correct Briggs governor springs. Hardware store substitutes will not allow the governor to operate properly. Also, adjust the governor arm an the shaft that goes into the block. A Briggs manual will show you how to properly adjust it once the linkage rods are all hooked up.

#6 KiltedKurmudgeon OFFLINE  

KiltedKurmudgeon
  • 13 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Just make sure you use only the correct Briggs governor springs. Hardware store substitutes will not allow the governor to operate properly. Also, adjust the governor arm an the shaft that goes into the block. A Briggs manual will show you how to properly adjust it once the linkage rods are all hooked up.

I've been stuck with hardware store springs before. After getting ones that were close enough I got things to work, but you're right about getting the right ones. It saves a lot of headaches, trial and error, and potential disaster.

I have the service manual for the series so I'm good there. I just didn't have anything that showed what kind of setup it was supposed to have. I've already ordered the parts I need, which wasn't badly priced. Now I get to wait on UPS, which means I might have parts by summer.

• classic said thank you

#7 PGHsteelworker OFFLINE  

PGHsteelworker
  • Member No: 50166
  • 89 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:19 PM

Here is another pic of throttle/ governor assembly. Hope it helps.

Briggs 16 (5).JPG

• KiltedKurmudgeon said thank you

#8 PGHsteelworker OFFLINE  

PGHsteelworker
  • Member No: 50166
  • 89 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:12 AM

Here is a pic of the governor setup on my 16 hp briggs.20160201_141107.jpg 20160201_141047.jpg

• limebuzz and KiltedKurmudgeon have said thanks