#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 11:35 PM

OK, I have a '75 Kubota L2000, it has had a weak reverse for several years, lately it has been getting worse and has recently started "popping out" of reverse. I ordered a new reverse fork and started in on the project yesterday. I got the fork on and it looks great, my brother came over and helped me get everything lined up and set into place. this quadrant was a bugger because it has the gear shifter and the 4 speed PTO all in the same quadrant. I got everything bolted down and it shifted through all of the gears. I started the tractor, took it out of gear and slowly let off the clutch. The tractor moved like it was in first gear? I put the tractor in 1st gear and very very slowly let off the clutch and the engine started to pull down and the tractor did not move. I then shut it off and called it a day. Anyone have any idea what went wrong? I have never torn into a transmission before so this is all new to me. I am positive all the forks are where they need to be, anyway a gear or two are in the wrong place?

I'm hoping to tare it back apart tomorrow, any one have any thoughts?

#2 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 04:06 AM

Yup, either you missed a gear to fork alignment or you got the wrong fork, or installed backwards possibly? Or installed in the wrong order, either way it has to come back apart and inspected. The first time is usually the worst, as the learning curve can be daunting.
Take it slow, and study the entire system carefully. Good luck, and be paitent
  • Alc and BTS have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Any chance you could locate a service manual or someone who has had one apart before to help out. 

• BTS said thank you

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:29 AM

As others have mentioned something isn't in place.Sometimes on older tractors when the shift fork wears you get that trans lock.[it's like having the tractor in 2 gears at the same time.So usually on the old tractors if you pull off the shift lever you can see that the slide rails aren't in the right spot allowing the trans to be in 2 gears at the same time.Using a long screw driver will let you move the forks back into place.So something isn't quite right in what you put back together.

• BTS said thank you

#5 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Sorry, haven't had much time to post, I don't have a manual, I got it pulled apart again and somehow, some reason the 1st/3rd gear fork is stuck. I tapped on it and it will not budge?. The steel ball and spring are in great shape, no chips or any damage that I can see. I don't know what could of gotten in there to lock it up, I have washed it out with carb cleaner and I also dripped oil on it. The shaft rotates and wiggles forward and backward but that is all. Anyone have any idea on what I can do?

Thanks for any info

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 09:51 PM

Have you tried tapping it the other direction?

• BTS said thank you

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:57 AM

Have you tried tapping it the other direction?

I have tapped both directions, I can't get it to move either way? My brother is coming over tomorrow, I will make him look at it :thumbs:

I hate to get to aggressive with it, I don't want to damage anything. I am still stumped on what happened :wallbanging:

Edited by BTS, January 31, 2016 - 12:58 AM.

• Cvans said thank you

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:51 PM

OK, my brother stopped by to take a look at it, we got pretty serious with it and smacked it a few good times with a hammer and punch and the shaft didn't move any. We don't want to hit it any harder since it is cast. I am just now looking at a Kubota Scrap yard in KY, if they have the whole quadrant, if they do have one for a reasonably price, then I will get more aggressive with the quadrant that I have.

Edited by BTS, January 31, 2016 - 05:54 PM.