Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anything interesting that you live next to?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 03:29 PM

This thread was an excellent idea.  Some of you guys lead me to some interesting googling!

So, find out anything you want to share?

google  "Chem-Dyne"

Edited by TAHOE, January 29, 2016 - 03:31 PM.

#62 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 04:29 PM

I forgot, I live right down the hill from the police gun range, been there since the 70's. We too get to hear some "fun" noises, there is an occasional automatic sessions going on up there and some really BIG stuff.
Makes it nice though, when the boys are in our field, people don't realize that it's coming not the gun range.

Nothing beats live fire ranges. I've been in places the house windows rattle from concussions 6 or more km away. House size fire balls and apartment building size smoke clouds. I've even heard concussions from naval bombardment and carpet bombing practice.... Sometimes you see the flash, watch the smoke cloud evolve, wait 5 seconds or so, feel the concussion, and hear the explosion.....
  • larrybl and TAHOE have said thanks

#63 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,312 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 10:09 PM

Punxsutawney Phil. :D

1925189_10152211077160827_749502141_n.jpg

• larrybl, KennyP, Username and 2 others have said thanks

#64 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,952 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 12:32 AM

Nothing beats live fire ranges. I've been in places the house windows rattle from concussions 6 or more km away. House size fire balls and apartment building size smoke clouds. I've even heard concussions from naval bombardment and carpet bombing practice.... Sometimes you see the flash, watch the smoke cloud evolve, wait 5 seconds or so, feel the concussion, and hear the explosion.....

No flash bangs from Ft. Hood but close enough to have things rattle from the M1A1 rounds going off.

• KennyP said thank you

#65 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 07:07 AM

That happens here nearly every weekend!

#66 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 07:48 AM

We live between two fairly unique towns.
Meadvile has always been a force of industry. Channelock is the biggest, but there are Meadville Forging (foundry and tool) and a couple other mfg plants left. It's also known as the Tool and Die capital of the world. Lots of Mom and Pop tool and die too. Pittsburgh Glass Works campus number 2 is just south of Meadville and across the road from that is the old munitions storage area from ww2/Korea. It's now a bunch of oddly shaped houses that use the sloped wall foundations as the walls. Some are kinda nice, some are a little sketchy.

Franklin is a sister city to Oil City and Titusville Between them is know as the Oil Valley where drilling for oil was done first and boom towns sprung up everywhere. Joy International (mining equipment) is there as well as DeBence music museum. Easier to just link http://debencemusicworld.com/
Franklin Industries still is a force that makes most of the steel T style fence posts and some posts for highways, Franklin Bronze is a notable Foundry and tool shop.

There are other neat sights, mainly rural and foothill woodlands scenery and wildlife. About 10 miles from nesting Eagles one way and a bunch of nesting herons the other.
  • larrybl, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#67 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 10:46 AM

I live about 3miles off the main road on a narrow private road that runs between 2 lakes. It's pretty quiet out here, kinda like going to the cottage every night when you come home from work! We are only about  15 miles from the centre of Halifax, the capital city of Nova Scotia. It's a port city, the home of the East Coast Canadian Navy and the biggest city in Atlantic Canada. Halifax played a huge part in WW2, being a major forming up and launch point for convoys to Europe. It was founded in 1749 and has a great natural harbour. 

• larrybl, LilysDad and propane1 have said thanks

#68 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 02:43 PM

I live less than a mile from where the White sewing machine company started back in the late 1850's.  There's nothing left now except for a couple stone markers that were put up back somewhere around 1990.  

• LilysDad said thank you

#69 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:54 AM

There is a small zoo/animal rescue place about 1/4 mile down the hill from us. At night, we hear sounds that hain't natural in these hills!
  • larrybl and adamjd200 have said thanks

#70 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 10:40 AM

We have a giant sleeping in the harbour.

• UncleWillie, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#71 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:09 PM

We have a giant sleeping in the harbour.

I would like to know more. :D

#72 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:25 PM

I live between the Sand Dunes State Forest (1/8 mile away east or west) and the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge. (1/4 mile north of me)

Between the two, they are just over 40,000 acres in size.
  • LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#73 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:38 PM

I would like to know more. :D

heres the giant

http://www.cbc.ca/se...ping_giant.html

When I moved to Thunder Bay in '78 my first job was sealing up old silver mine shafts.  A portion of general public thought old mines shafts were a exciting place to explore.  Old timbers that were mush, cave ins, deep water. .. Some were cut into shear cliffs while others were just a 60' hole in the ground obscured by foliage. Some shafts near the Giant were on private property where some folks denied us access to seal the shaft. 

• larrybl, MH81, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#74 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 02:09 PM

I live close enough to hear the guy do this...http://fox4kc.com/20...s-world-record/

It drove me batty.

Other than that, we live 7 miles from the nearest gas station and have to make our own fun. That usually includes and big ol' country jam about once a month in the shop.12509231_212531705754456_809680123790072

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#75 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 03:25 PM

I live next door to a guy with a severe garden tractor hoarding disorder.

Oh wait!  That crap is all on my side of the fence.......  :smilewink:

• larrybl, MH81, EricR and 4 others have said thanks