Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anything interesting that you live next to?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#31 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:24 PM

Our little town's claim to fame is the world's only captive geyser. Electric timer sets it off every hour on the hour. It shoots about 50' in the air.

Mike

• larrybl, oldedeeres, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#32 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:40 PM

We had the 25th anniversary of the Woodstock festival here back in '94. It rained, and the place looked and smelled like a giant garbage dump and pig pen combined. It was a sight to see, that's for sure. We ventured in at night with a couple of 12 packs and Metallica was playing as we got close to one of the stages. It was nuts and we got lost on the way out. Once we hit pavement we knew where we were and walked the two miles back to the bar.
  • larrybl, KennyP, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#33 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:41 PM

Our little town's claim to fame is the world's only captive geyser. Electric timer sets it off every hour on the hour. It shoots about 50' in the air.
                                Mike

Well, that's cool.

I live down the street from Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium,(built for the 1978 Commonwealth games) and a few blocks from the Arena where Gretzky did his amazing work on the ice.

And the Edmonton Eskimos play in the stadium. (CFL team).

I've also listened to the Rolling Stones, U2, AC/DC and many others over the years when the played..

Edited by Chopperhed, January 27, 2016 - 11:10 PM.

• larrybl and oldedeeres have said thanks

#34 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:42 PM

We had the 25th anniversary of the Woodstock festival here back in '94. It rained, and the place looked and smelled like a giant garbage dump and pig pen combined. It was a sight to see, that's for sure. We ventured in at night with a couple of 12 packs and Metallica was playing as we got close to one of the stages. It was nuts and we got lost on the way out. Once we hit pavement we knew where we were and walked the two miles back to the bar.

I worked for 25 years with a woman who was at the original Woodstock. She was from Southern Ontario. She's been an ounce a week smoker for as long as I've known her and her hubby.
  • larrybl, KennyP, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#35 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:46 PM

Have spent some time on an extended overseas posting living within a day's drive of all 7 churches of the Book of Revelations, Ephesus, Thessaloniki, Constantinople/Istanbul, Troy, and relics from 4 different empires spanning 3000 years.

'Round home, there's an aboriginal Buffalo Jump and the remains of a Metis settlement.
  • larrybl, David Brown, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#36 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:48 PM

Uncle Willie and KennyP, Deer's, Coyotes, and Longhorns a plenty here. Rumbles and Booms are the interesting things from Ft. Hood and SpaceX. Really cool when it is overcast and they light a big candle, lights the place up like day for miles. A NASCAR track would be cool too, I bet when the wind is right the rumbles would be awesome!

Yeah the Nascar Xfinity and ARCA cars roar, the Indy cars scream like a banshee

#37 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 11:05 PM

I can't top that one!  About the only thing I have that may spark some interest is Lernerville Speedway.  It's supposed to be one of the top dirt tracks in the nation.  Maybe some die hard race fans here have heard of it.  Otherwise, truly a mundane place to live.  Oh, I may have a meth lab close by, does that count?  I hear the neighbor kid has been cookin.  I hope no booms come from that!

Yes I have heard of that track. The Knoxville Nationals Outlaw Sprint races are held 20 mile south of me.

There are only two paved tracks in Iowa, the rest are dirt. It has been a while since I took inventory but Iowa had 114 tracks in 99 counties.

At the last time I checked Pennnsylvania was the only state with more tracks actively racing.

#38 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 11:11 PM

The town of Woodstock is one town over from me. It's a mecca for hippies, yuppies, and musicians, and a lot of famous people hung out there and still do. My buddy who is eighty now plays the steel guitar very well, and he remembers hanging out with Janice Joplin back in the 60's among others.

#39 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 12:37 AM

My closest village, White Fox, has what is reported to be the largest statue in Canada, of, you guessed it, a white fox, mounted on a pedestal.
  • larrybl said thank you

#40 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:06 AM

The local volunteer firehouse is across from my back yard, it has been pretty interesting over the years, mostly medical runs now. I am the youngest charter member when the department went into service Jan. 1, 1970, I was 19 years of age. Even though I am still an active member, it is getting harder to run to the station when we get toned out, would like to make it to 50 years before I give it up.   

• larrybl, shorty, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#41 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:29 AM

Moose lodge... $1.25 microbrew bottles...
  • larrybl, KennyP and HANKG have said thanks

#42 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,869 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:56 AM

The inter coastal water way starts in Pt. Pleasant NJ at the end of my street, and continues all the way to Texas. And of course the Atlantic ocean less than a mile away.

• larrybl, oldedeeres and Eric have said thanks

#43 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 08:43 AM

There use to be the 2nd worst toxic waste dump 3 miles from my house. Good thing we were up river.

We also have Fernald about 20 miles away, it was the country's worst nuclear plant, they processed plutonium.

I used to live 4 doors down from where Joe Nuxall grew up, one of the greatest MLB pitchers to ever walk on a ball diamond.

#44 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 343 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:43 AM

A farm. With giant pigs! They average 1,193 lbs each! Always get bacon come slaughter time!
  • KennyP, oldedeeres and Eric have said thanks

#45 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:45 AM

I can see Three Mile Island out my living room window in the fall / winter. The woods where I go deer hunting out of my back yard.

• oldedeeres said thank you