We just picked up one of these a week ago at auction for $5 but we are in need of sickle blades. The width is 38". Does anyone know where to get them? Ours was very clean and has all the paint. Runs great! It eas made by National Mower Co. St Paul, MN, but they can't help us with blades.
National Mower model 7 sickle bar mower
Posted June 24, 2016 - 09:11 AM
Posted June 27, 2016 - 12:30 PM
I think that Jari is going to be your best bet for blades. Measure yours and check their web page.
I made a little progress over the weekend. I removed the N motor, replaced condenser and filed and reset the points. Coil checked OK with my meter so I left it. Rebuilt the carb as well. I am in the process of cleaning the fuel tank. I did get the motor to fire off a bit of gas in the spark plug hole so all is well so far. Biggest deal is still the tires.
Posted June 27, 2016 - 05:55 PM
Here`s a National I picked up a year or so ago. It has a Model N Briggs on it. It works pretty well, but the monkey-motion driving the cutter bar should have a shield, it gets bound up with grass in no time. Here are some pictures if they might help you out!
- Alc, steve b and Clifford Bridgford have said thanks
Posted June 28, 2016 - 01:15 PM
Thanks for the pictures Rusty.
How does the clutch on the left side ( Not the back ) work?
See my photos. It is different than above. I have no movement when I squeeze the grip. I am sure something is frozen.
Posted July 05, 2016 - 12:59 PM
Gas tank is cleaned. I soaked it for a week in cider vinegar and threw in a handful of clean fractured gravel and shook for about 10 minutes. All bright and shining in there now.
- Alc said thank you
Posted July 19, 2016 - 09:05 PM
just bought the same thing:
National Mower Co.
The engine has the plate still on it
Posted July 20, 2016 - 01:49 PM
Welcome and post a picture or 2.
Posted June 28, 2017 - 03:28 PM
Well it is finally on the edge of finished, and what a trip it has been. All that remains is a bit of governor work. I found a set of 4.8 x 7 Goodyear tires for a good price. Only problem is they were just a bit too large in diameter and hit the gearing. So I built a new drive axle and spaced it 2 inches further out on each side. National used some kind of bicycle chain near as I could tell but a new sprocket and or chain in that pitch proved impossible to find. So I changed all of it for 40 pitch. The clutch was still a mystery and I could find no one who knew how it was supposed to work. I even was getting no help on Smokestack. Finally a gentleman called me saying he had a parts machine and gave me the clue I needed... The clutch is always engaged unless the handle is depressed. Totally backwards to the way I thought it worked. I also purchased his clutch assembly as he said it worked. With the clutch in hand I was able to see the part on mine that needed to be replaced. It was a button in the end of a rod. I looked everywhere for appropriate pins / rivets/ anything I could think of with that shape. I finally found a punch pin made for injection molding the right shape and best of all cheep. Here are a couple of photos of the clutches and the pin I made. Ignore the hole too close to the end. I was trying for length and kept having to cut it down. The final one was the exact length as the unit I purchased from Gary.
Posted June 28, 2017 - 03:45 PM
The way the parts are held together is really nice. There are pins through the shafts and pieces of spring wire in a groove to keep the pins in place. Last 2 photos show the Pins I found and The part I needed to copy in the last picture. Again Many thanks to Gary. I do not think I would have figured it out without his parts machine. I also found the owners manual in my searches. I will attach it to the bottom. Of course when I assembled the unit the 4.8 tires made it run too fast and there is not room to increase the drive sprocket. So I got to build another drive shaft to mount 6" rims on and the 7 inchers have been retired. That was crazy, change one little thing and you throw it all out of whack, Here is a few pictures of the finished project. Oh I forgot to mention I replaced the fuel strainer as the packing had all failed. The new strainer made it so the air filter no longer fit, forcing me to make a spacer to move the carb out 3/8" which in turn made the throttle linkage too short... You get the picture, change one thing. Well it is done now, all that remains is to get the governor to be a bit more responsive. This weekend for sure. It does mow nicely. Here are the rest of the pictures.