jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:38 AM

I got new eyes this summer and my monitor is TOO small. With readers I can stand it for a while. Anyway I start to focus a little past my arm length without glasses. I can go a while with #2 readers. My current screen is  measures about 20" diagonally. I am open for suggestions and what to look for. Remember  money is kinda tight being off work and the medical bills, but I think I can squeeze out 2 or 3oo over this next month for a screen. Is it doable ? Or do I just struggle along until I can get some more $$$ together ?

Thanks ahead for any help,

Jim

System is 64 bit

Intel ® Core™ i5  2.5GHZ

Windows 7 professional 2009 Service Pak One

Edited by jpackard56, January 27, 2016 - 09:16 AM.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:47 AM

I got new glasses  a year ago and went from trifocals to bifocals.  Main reason was no longer working at arms length any more and to save $$.  found out I cannot use the bi's. to read the computer so use the old glasses.  The stores usually have a selection of powers of reading glasses.  Try different power and style until you can read on open magazine at the distance you screen normally is.  May have to raise your chair or lower the screen to be comfortable but that is minor.  A new monitor I don't think will solve your problem, unless you just want a larger monitor.

Edited by chieffan, January 27, 2016 - 08:48 AM.

• jpackard56 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Can you change to font size to help? Most all browsers have that option. Also, have you tried changing the display resolution? That could also help.

• jms180, jpackard56 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 09:25 AM

Can you change to font size to help? Most all browsers have that option. Also, have you tried changing the display resolution? That could also help.

O.K. I had pushed the resolution to the top of the sliding scale button graphic already, so I don't know if I can do anymore there.

Remember I'm not very computer savy. So your other suggestion on font size, I've learned how to do that with PDF stuff, works great. But lets say I'm in GTT just like typing in this post here and I'm struggling is there some magic way of making this bigger/clearer ? I've been using Firefox.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 09:31 AM

I got new glasses  a year ago and went from trifocals to bifocals.  Main reason was no longer working at arms length any more and to save $$.  found out I cannot use the bi's. to read the computer so use the old glasses.  The stores usually have a selection of powers of reading glasses.  Try different power and style until you can read on open magazine at the distance you screen normally is.  May have to raise your chair or lower the screen to be comfortable but that is minor.  A new monitor I don't think will solve your problem, unless you just want a larger monitor.

Thanks Roger, I've been playing with the glasses and have changed my chair. You bring up an interesting point on the monitor maybe not making much difference. The guys down at the coffee shop have all been digging me to just dust out my wallet and get a bigger screen, I haven't actually tried any place with a bigger screen. AND trust me the Dr's have dusted out my wallet PLENTY already.

Gotta keep reminding myself that I am truly blessed to even be able to see, but hoping can find a better solution for online work. I am much better on printing off and reading like the manual I got from you. Thanks ! You should see a little moo-la soon. Printed stuff I can move around and get positioned in light better etc.

• chieffan said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 09:34 AM

O.K. I had pushed the resolution to the top of the sliding scale button graphic already, so I don't know if I can do anymore there.

Remember I'm not very computer savy. So your other suggestion on font size, I've learned how to do that with PDF stuff, works great. But lets say I'm in GTT just like typing in this post here and I'm struggling is there some magic way of making this bigger/clearer ? I've been using Firefox.

With FF, you can hold down the 'Ctrl' button ( usually lower left button) and hit the '+' to 'magnify the screen. Doing that more than once will make the screen larger and easier to read. You can go into the FF settings and change things to make it easier to read as well.

• ducky, jpackard56 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:07 AM

Not a Guru myself but have you considered smaller flat screen TV. Wally's has them in your mentioned price range and many of them will hook up to a computer. This would definitely increase you screen size and although the quality might not be at the top of the list it might be an option. I'm sure some will say that their stuff is junk, but unless you watch movies on your computer or need super hi definition for some reason I don't see a problem.

• MH81, jpackard56 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 10:51 AM

I just went through the same thing as far as being able to see the screen.  I had a 20" monitor and it was hard to read and enjoy.  I went to a 24" flat panel by Dell.  I Paid $139 for it during the Christmas rush.  I can set the resolution high and still read the screen just fine.

By the way if you want the use the resolution technique you need to lower the resolution to make it bigger. 

• jpackard56 and chieffan have said thanks

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 11:21 AM

If you get a bigger monitor..  Keep in mind you need to save room for your new calculator!

geturei4221.jpg

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Next they will be making super smart phone with wheel and tow handle so big fingered people can hit the right buttons when texting ! :rolling:  :wave:

Thanks Roger, I've been playing with the glasses and have changed my chair. You bring up an interesting point on the monitor maybe not making much difference. The guys down at the coffee shop have all been digging me to just dust out my wallet and get a bigger screen, I haven't actually tried any place with a bigger screen. AND trust me the Dr's have dusted out my wallet PLENTY already.

Gotta keep reminding myself that I am truly blessed to even be able to see, but hoping can find a better solution for online work. I am much better on printing off and reading like the manual I got from you. Thanks ! You should see a little moo-la soon. Printed stuff I can move around and get positioned in light better etc.

Save the moo-la for some reading glasses that will work better.  What problem are you having with reading the screen?  Text to small, or fuzzy, not sharp and/or clear?

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 02:52 PM

Not a Guru myself but have you considered smaller flat screen TV. Wally's has them in your mentioned price range and many of them will hook up to a computer. This would definitely increase you screen size and although the quality might not be at the top of the list it might be an option. I'm sure some will say that their stuff is junk, but unless you watch movies on your computer or need super hi definition for some reason I don't see a problem.

Many mfg have eliminated the VGA inputs on TV's. be certain what your output is on your computer and then double check that the salesman knows what he's talking about when he says yes.
  • ducky, HDWildBill, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 03:51 PM

I just got new puter, went with 23" monitor, cause that was the best price and features for money.  I was gonna go 21", but now they are promoting the 23.  Not whole lot bigger than a standard in size, so still fits on the desk fine.  Mine is Acer, when of suggested brands, got it at Staples. Was also looking at Dell, but the Acer was better for less money.  I have my screen set at 125%, so fonts a little bigger. Think you can change type of fonts too, but not sure and would have to try them out to know what is best. I have Bifocals and take them off to see screen better now, no tilting of head to get focus and such. Never been a fan of Store Bought glasses, think eye doctor is only real way to get Correct powers.  They have cheaper glasses places and such if you don't need bifocals or any fancy things in your glasses. They are plastic lenses, require  diff handling.  I had always had glass all my life, this is first plastic. I find them much lighter, but really think glass is clearer, and holds up much better for the way I use them. Mine are now getting scratchy, but has been 2 years and need new ones anyway. Think I'm going back to glass again, heavy or not.

One thing about going bigger on the screen you have is the stuff shown is bigger and you may have to move around on the screen or move the page to see as much of it as you would on the regular setting.

#13 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Jpackard56, I like you was having a problem reading, (this getting older stuff ain't what it's cracked up to be) lol but I got a 27 inch acer and now wish I would have done it a long time ago!!!!!!

• HDWildBill and jpackard56 have said thanks

#14 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 06:18 PM

I just click on "View" and change the size as needed!

#15 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 10:05 AM

With FF, you can hold down the 'Ctrl' button ( usually lower left button) and hit the '+' to 'magnify the screen. Doing that more than once will make the screen larger and easier to read. You can go into the FF settings and change things to make it easier to read as well.

"HOLY SMOKES BATMAN"  Kenny you have saved me from my ignorance !! :big_hug:Ctrl +   Wow how simple....

This reminds me, thanks to the NAVY I returned to college at 43. The adviser said well math is kinda "if you don't use it it loose it" so lets start you off in an Alg-Trig class. Made sense to me, so I showed up with my 'slide-rule" yep you guessed it, the other students all about half my age or less were rolling on the floor. They changed their tune a little when I started kicking butt with my slide rule vs their TI 83's that then cost around $239. Well I eventually got a TI 83 also because they are an amazing tool once you can learn the right methods.

I'm guessing the day the "hot-buttons" like Ctrl + were covered in computer class I must have been watching something "HOT" walking across the quad on campus !

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :big_hug:

Those of you rolling your eyes at what a dolt, remember like my fellow students laughing at my slide rule, I do learn. ( slower these days, but still learning) The definition of life from a biological reference is "the continual adaptation to your environment" if you don't adapt you perish !

• MH81, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks