jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 10:50 PM

Started threading some conduit back in October (post :love old tools)
Well just finished 3-way circuit, starts at man door from main barn down the walking path to the other man door to outside, real close to 40 feet. Two LED bulb style units right at the doors and two 4 foot LED units replacing 4 foot fluorescent units. This puts out more light than the (4) fluorescent units they replaced and best of all they are rated to come on at -4 degrees F :dancingbanana: They came on at 28 F real nice yesterday. Got up to 40 today so even the old ones flickered their way on.

IMG_20160125_172856.jpg
Other pictures didn't come out, try to update another day.

Now when I get some money together ALL those other flickering miserable old fluorescent units are going to go too. I'm thinking as bright as these LED's are I won't need as many, but they were still $40 each.

The other big improvement is finally working as well. The boys ordered me an electric opener for my big overhead door day last spring to give me on Father's Day which fell right after my first eye surgery. Well they have worked on it on the weekends they have been home and not making hay etc. It was quite a project with framing it in, getting circuit run and such. Remember I'm still not supposed to be on a ladder and have some lifting limits. The door is 12 X 12 and the unit is mounted flush about 14 feet up in the corner.
This is the unit
IMG_20160125_110712.jpg
This is where it is at
IMG_20160125_110647.jpg
Door measurements
IMG_20160125_111600.jpg IMG_20160125_111755.jpg

It works AWESOME :dancingbanana: :rocker: :rocker: :dancingbanana: It still has an electronic lock in the box, but we left that off, figure on staying with my steel bar and lock (especially with the sophisticated thieves these days using electronic de-coders getting into garages)
  • Alc, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 11:07 PM

Is that a fixture with a  LED bulb in it or something more extravagant?  Cant tell from here. Its throwing plenty of light. 

• jpackard56 said thank you

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 05:18 AM

"Is that a fixture with a  LED bulb in it or something more extravagant"

Two LED bulb style units right at the doors

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 06:05 AM

Looks great. I want to replace the fluor. tubes in my shop with LEDs. I am tired of buying tubes only to have them fail to light within a year or so. Then, like yours they sometimes flicker or pulse and just don't work like they are supposed to. I think some of my problems are due to the fixtures/ballasts. This is the second set I've had and they are not much better than the first ones which wouldn't light up reliably, even at 50F. Having good light is important and even more so as I get older and my eyesight just isn't what it was.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:07 AM

Nice upgrades.
For some reason, my eyes want incandescent. I am planning on a mix of incandescent and LEDs as that seems to work well. For me anyways.

:thumbs: on the door opener (and the kids too, nice they thought of what you needed Instead of getting you another tie)

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:09 AM

Is that a fixture with a  LED bulb in it or something more extravagant?  Cant tell from here. Its throwing plenty of light. 

Yes, I don't know what happened with my photos. Could LED affect the computer light sensor on camera? The tube photos didn't show at all, and the one of the opener up in corner is so dark can barely make out, and yet the light in the shop was NICE ! While the LED bulbs in a normal socket came out real bright in photo?

Anyway the answer is the ones by the man doors are just regular porch lights with LED bulbs screwed in (claim 800 lumens @ 9.5 watts). I have better commercial style covered globes somewhere...Put these porch lights up for now to complete the circuit.

The fluorescent size/style tube lights are LED from the get go. One 4 ft LED (claims 3200 lumens @ 35 watts) tube puts out much better than my old 2 tube 4 footers.

#7 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:17 AM

Looks great. I want to replace the fluor. tubes in my shop with LEDs. I am tired of buying tubes only to have them fail to light within a year or so. Then, like yours they sometimes flicker or pulse and just don't work like they are supposed to. I think some of my problems are due to the fixtures/ballasts. This is the second set I've had and they are not much better than the first ones which wouldn't light up reliably, even at 50F. Having good light is important and even more so as I get older and my eyesight just isn't what it was.

Yes, we have been disappointed with the fluorescent. These LED replacements are all self contained and priced out similar to new ballasts for the old fluorescent units. The old ones were about 20 years old and even new didn't work well through the colder months. We also noted when pulling down the old ones that the wires inside  seemed brittle too, so glad we started this process before we had even more problems.

• JDBrian said thank you

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:22 AM

Nice upgrades.
For some reason, my eyes want incandescent. I am planning on a mix of incandescent and LEDs as that seems to work well. For me anyways.

:thumbs: on the door opener (and the kids too, nice they thought of what you needed Instead of getting you another tie)

I have learned that the LED units have different color ranges, the more yellow ranges are more like incandescent bulbs. The first one we got was supposedly a 60watt replacement and it was so bright of a white we couldn't stand it in a 15 X 17 room ceiling globe. The lights by the man doors are incandescent replacement LED's in the 3000K warm light scale and my color coded keys and other items seem normal by the doors.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 08:50 AM

I replaced som of the fixtures at our church with LED ones. It was in a small conference room that is used for music lessons daily. We previously had 4 track light flood fixtures with 50w PAR20 bulbs. It was totally the wrong lighting for trying to read music but was acceptable for lighting a centrally located conference table. I got 2 LED fixtures at Costco for about 40$ ea.  23w each and they were so bright that I installed a dimmer to make them adjustable. The music teacher is very happy and the lighting can be dimmed down for other things that may be going on in the room. All that with 1/4 the power consumption. An added bonus is that the PAR20s do not last and someone was always in there with a ladder fussing with the poorly designed fixtures to change the bulbs. So far, after a year in use there have been 0 issues. I'm not sure the round fixtures will work in my shop, but given the light output we are getting in that conference room I may pick up a few of them and install them. Since they are roughly 1/3 the wattage of 2 T8 bulbs I could run more fixtures if needed and still save power.