• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 12:03 PM

Please don't try this. Several years ago we had a late freeze-up and everyone was desperate to get out on the lake. When I went down to check after the first really cold night in a week, there was a fellow who had walked out as far as he dared, carrying a long, aluminum extension ladder. He had laid it down, extended, belly crawled out on it with a hatchet and line, and was fishing off the end of it. I couldn't believe my eyes. How thick was the ice? Thick enough to hold up a crazy man I guess, because he got off O.K. No fish either. I tend to wait until I see tracks both going out and coming back.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#17 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 12:32 PM

I usually take a big rock. Fist sized or better and slam it down in the ice from the shore. If it bounces off then I'll walk out a few feet where the water is still knee deep and drill a hole to check the ice. If it's 4" or better I'll venture out drill another. Keep repeating that till get where I want(if the ice thickness stays good)

Ice is dangerous.

When I was a 10 one of the kids in my class decided to walk across the lake in his housing development. He fell through and died. If I recall right they didn't find his body till spring.
  • oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#18 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 06:49 AM

Please don't try this. Several years ago we had a late freeze-up and everyone was desperate to get out on the lake. When I went down to check after the first really cold night in a week, there was a fellow who had walked out as far as he dared, carrying a long, aluminum extension ladder. He had laid it down, extended, belly crawled out on it with a hatchet and line, and was fishing off the end of it. I couldn't believe my eyes. How thick was the ice? Thick enough to hold up a crazy man I guess, because he got off O.K. No fish either. I tend to wait until I see tracks both going out and coming back.

O.K. I get that freezing ones butt off laying under a truck with a frozen fuel line somehow is much worse than ice fishing in the same temps, ( some wives do not get this, obviously Mrs Deeres does) BUT laying/sitting on a ladder to ice fish... :( NO that I will not do period. I've never seen that done but I have heard other people tell similar stories. I guess "ya just can't fix stupid" :(

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks