• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 05:34 PM

now that i got my little tractor back together its .scratch the head and try to figure out the how to get it to  run smooth. played with all the  carb adjustmensts today. govenor stll wants so surge  i rebuilt  the carb but mite need new needle valve its a litttle bent and cracked. think tomarro i get a tack and check  rpm. and check point gap. 3speed trans is working good no more leaks. bill

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 05:53 PM

What engine does it have?

#3 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 07:19 PM

I second the we need to know the species of the engine. If it's k-series kohler, surging can often be caused by wear in the throttle shaft of the carb, it's also a vacuum leak if it is worn.

Edited by BigFlash, January 26, 2016 - 07:19 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 08:05 PM

I've seen misadjusted governors cause these symptoms too. Especially on the K series and Briggs with the governor shaft coming through the block and the lever clamped to it. The shaft and lever correlation has to be right. Let us know what we are working on or post some pictures of the gov set up.

#5 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 10:44 PM

Small air leaks, intake, throttle shaft, carb mount will play havoc with surging.

#6 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,032 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 07:02 AM

I have the same thing going on right now with a horizontal briggs 10 hp. What could it be? AIR LEAK.

Edited by karl, January 27, 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#7 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 09:26 AM

I have had two where the throttle shaft bushings were worn (oblong) so at idle it would leak air at the shaft causing a surging idle, but when throttled up, the engine ran smooth.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 12:00 PM

its got the kohler k321 think im going  to order new fuel needle . im sure it got water in it and froze from sitting out side forgoten for years.thanks bill

#9 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Hi bill3t, I would buy a new aftermarket carb you can get them off e bay for about $42.00 and its a new carb I've installed 4 of them on K 321'a and they are good, you can't buy a good OH kit for that money and its a safe bet that the throttle shaft is worn and leaking air on your present carb.

its got the kohler k321 think im going  to order new fuel needle . im sure it got water in it and froze from sitting out side forgoten for years.thanks bill

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

• bill3t said thank you

#10 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 05:29 PM

ok thanks i miet try new carb.bill

#11 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 02:33 PM

i decided to look over carb one more time before spending money on new. had some sediment in carb bowel and sediment in gas tank bowel.cleaned out and runing better now. the tank andcarb were loaded  up with gum when i first got this thing. just had to do a little more cleaning out. put one of those litttle filters in gas line. :dancingbanana:  bill

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 03:28 PM

**I just hate when you get sediment in the bowel!!   :bounce:  :bigrofl:

Sorry Bill!!  Couldn't pass that one up!!   :toilethead:

MNBG has a valid point..  Dirty carbs will do it as well..  Go though the idle / low speed jets and make sure they are clear..

#13 topsarg61 OFFLINE  

topsarg61
  • Member No: 80337
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 12:45 PM

**I just hate when you get sediment in the bowel!! :bounce: :bigrofl:

Sorry Bill!! Couldn't pass that one up!! :toilethead:

MNBG has a valid point.. Dirty carbs will do it as well.. Go though the idle / low speed jets and make sure they are clear..

I feel that may be the issue with my Kohler. Motor surges, then almost dies. High or low speeds. I have a "Kohler Courage", and it sits on a 2005 Craftsman FS5500. Dont know the exact nomenclature.
Problem is that I dont know where to start to remove and clean the bowl.
History: Was mulching leaves and the motor began surging. Replaced filters and plugs. No change. I figure i piked up some trash and it lodged in the carb?
I realize that I am piggybacking off another post, but why create another if I am on the same page?

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 01:10 PM

Sure sounds like fuel to me..  There should be a model # (under the seat I think) like 917. yada yada..  That # is what is needed for us to help you better..  Look around and fire back..

#15 topsarg61 OFFLINE  

topsarg61
  • Member No: 80337
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:31 PM

917. 276884 Kohler Pro.
I decided to take off the bowl to clean out the sediment. Drained all fuel, then removed the remaining two bolts 7nder the bowl. It has a wire running back up the back of the carb to a connection which goes under the - lets call it a "cowl". Twisted the wire as I removed but feel confident I didnt break any wires. Put it all back together and reconnected the wire. Tried to start - nothing. Like a safety switch is preventing any fire at all. Thinking the switch under the bowl (float?) may be preventing any fire to the starter? Took it all back off and inspected the wire for breaks. Seemed okay. Totally at a loss now.