• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 04:05 PM

I have a 1969 127 that I eventually want to restore. What paint are you people using on these? Is It still available from Case/IH? Is it a clean white that I need or some kind of off white? Also what kind of yellow? I would like it as close to original colors as possible although I usually dont bother with automotive type paint. Usually just aerosols.

• Traill95 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 04:51 PM

My Case/IH has all the Cub paints still. Sprays are expensive tho, like $10 to $12 each.  The paint is much better quality and easier to use than store bought tho. There are a couple of Whites as you say and maybe even two yellows, so have to know which to get. Would think the counter-man could look that up. The qts and gallons are way cheaper if you can spray.  I've used lots of those cans working on my MM's in past. Even the Black is better, Dries fast and can be handled quicker, specially if working out in sun and warm day, which you won't get now of course.

• Alc, breimer and chieffan have said thanks

#3 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 579 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 06:42 PM

You are looking for federal yellow and IH 935 white. The quality of paint from Case IH is excellent. It's a little expensive but the results speak for themselves.
  • breimer said thank you

#4 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 07:00 PM

There was a topic about paint a while back. Can't remember the company mentioned but the pics looked really good. Paint seemed to lay out nice.
  • breimer said thank you

#5 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 12:52 AM

I used the case IH Iron guard yellow paint for my original build I did this last year. It was the federal yellow and I needed the 901 white which is no longer available. So I bought the yellow, their reducer and hardener, and bought some Omni at the auto-parts store that was mixed for the 901. 

Sprayed great, has excellent shine and drys very fast. And durability outshines rattle can big time. I painted a tractor with the cub cadet brand rattle can and it took a lot of cans to cover a tractor, and it ain't cheap. And it will not hold up like a paint job with hardener in it...

It's your money, good luck with your project.

• EricR and breimer have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 07:51 PM

We used the Case/IH yellow on my son's Original, with hardener, on a freshly sandblasted frame, and it was allowed to cure for months. The first time he put gas in the tractor, he discovered a gas leak. It lifted that expensive dealer bought yellow instantly. So now we have to take it all apart once again for a redo. I HATE REDO'S!
  • breimer said thank you

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 08:58 PM

Yellow paint in quarts is NOT cheap but, I have found that the cheapest priced paint I can get here is from CaseIH for Federal Yellow.  Being's it's the correct paint for Cub Cadets anyway that is what I always use.  I painted my 107 last spring with Federal yellow from CaseIH and the White paint I got through Napa.  All I had to do for Napa was give them the paint code and they mixed me a quart up and I had both of the original colors and I think it came out well.

Attached Thumbnails

• plowday107-2 2015.jpg

• breimer, zippy1 and BNK have said thanks

#8 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 12:13 AM

We used the Case/IH yellow on my son's Original, with hardener, on a freshly sandblasted frame, and it was allowed to cure for months. The first time he put gas in the tractor, he discovered a gas leak. It lifted that expensive dealer bought yellow instantly. So now we have to take it all apart once again for a redo. I HATE REDO'S!

Huh, I mixed mine 8-1-1 and have gas stains with no paint issues at all. I take Simple Green and scrub the gas stains and the paint still is fine... Don't know what the problem is with yours...

Edit; you wrote, " on a freshly sandblasted frame," did you use primer?

Edited by zippy1, January 29, 2016 - 12:16 AM.

• breimer said thank you

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 05:54 PM

yup. a little of the primer is all that is left behind the wrinkled paint/

• breimer said thank you

#10 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 11:54 PM

yup. a little of the primer is all that is left behind the wrinkled paint/

Wow, that's a drag... Would have no idea why that would be.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 09:42 AM

Wow, that's a drag... Would have no idea why that would be.

me either.

#12 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 10:24 AM

The only thing I can think of is the yellow didn't stick to the primmer, so it may be a primmer issue, just throwing it out there!!!

• dodge trucker said thank you

#13 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 10:40 PM

Well...I am another user and fan of Iron Guard ie Case IH and CNH Ford/New Holland (Ford colors) as well, both from the same vendor. The only negative reaction I have had was some lifting due to the color already on some new A&I after mrkt sheet metal (Ford tractor butterfly hood and quarter fenders)
We re prep after it cured then sealed it with two stage primer/sealer. Done! No reaction. Most will agree...paint can be so unforgiving from one job to the next. A good prep, a good gun, a good technique with the gun, a clean air supply with consistent mix follows a nice wet look at the end.

Good luck!
  • zippy1 said thank you

#14 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 12:54 AM

Well...I am another user and fan of Iron Guard ie Case IH and CNH Ford/New Holland (Ford colors) as well, both from the same vendor. The only negative reaction I have had was some lifting due to the color already on some new A&I after mrkt sheet metal (Ford tractor butterfly hood and quarter fenders)
We re prep after it cured then sealed it with two stage primer/sealer. Done! No reaction. Most will agree...paint can be so unforgiving from one job to the next. A good prep, a good gun, a good technique with the gun, a clean air supply with consistent mix follows a nice wet look at the end.

Good luck!

Maybe not a good scuff on the primer for adhesion?

#15 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:17 AM

I do collision repair for a living and when I paint my cubs I use case/ih paint, its very user friendly and is economical. There are better paints out there but when you compare $60 to $70 a gallon to $200 or $300 a gallon there not so much better that I feel it necessary to pay the difference.