#1 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 03:00 PM

Does anyone know when hubcaps started becoming brand specific, or the company that actually produced them?

I know plain chrome 6, 8 and 10" caps are still available through golf cart accessory suppliers but John Deere seems to be the only brand that still offers a hub cap for the 12" wheel, albeit with their logo. I've found this particular size can be difficult to research and locate because they actually measure somewhere around 10 1/4" at the retaining clips.

Seems like plain hub caps were used on every make until around 1967 when logos were stamped into them for John Deere, Cub Cadet, Ford, Massey Ferguson, and all the rest that eventually went to a logo. I would guess the same company produced them all?

I have a few pieces of old literature and magazine ads that show these makes with plain caps but they are seldom seen in person on these tractors without the logo.

I understand it's a 'love them' or 'hate them' thing with a lot of people, but I've always liked them because it makes them stand out among other tractors especially your own if you have many.

I wasn't aware that IH Cub's caps ever came without the IH logo until I got ahold of this 1966 accessory booklet, so they were plain at least until this point.
uploadfromtaptalk1453837467116.jpg
I was glad to see this because I felt better about trying a set of plain caps on my 1965 100.
uploadfromtaptalk1453837585577.jpg
  • Alc, wvbuzzmaster, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Not a big fan of hub caps, rather have wheel weights. Have only had one garden tractor come in with hub caps, all four too boot, and they are removed now. Behind one showed a missing dust cap, behind the rears showed muddobber nests. Not saying wheel weights prevent that, but there is less room for them. Hub caps look nice on restored (or all original) tractors. On working tractors in various states of repair, repaint, mixed parts of other tractors, etc., then hub caps look out of place.
  • RAJ, Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#3 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 04:14 PM

I agree they are purely for show as they were intended, whether on a restored or original machine. Since I have many tractors - some very similar - I like to find ways to make each of them unique. Aside from typical factory options, I try to make different combinations of tire size and design, wheel weights and hubcaps, or lack thereof.

Hubcaps are not popular with everyone, but it would still be neat to see them reproduced someday with and without the brand logos.
  • Alc, Bmerf and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 04:53 PM

They would have to be brushed aluminum as the chrome they make now days would be rusted up in 2 years or less.  Probably be cheaper to make them out of plastic if just for show.  Cut out a plastic circle and put chrome contct paper on it and glue it to the rim.  Instant hub caps ! :poke:  :poke:  :rolling:

• RAJ said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 05:02 PM

I've been to Wheelhorse shows and fellas had some racer rigs there and rear wheels looked just like they had NO centers in them as you walked by.  Have to do double take. The wheels are wide, the rear has a very shiny, think polished metal, maybe plastic? part set into the rim way back in and makes interesting look. Makes you wanna reach in and see how it is held up!  OR, see lots of guys just buy those spun look maybe stainless discs that the Hot Rod places sell and cut them down to fit their wheels. You would have to screw them to the rim or make a mounting of sorts I guess, not sure.

• RAJ and Alc have said thanks

#6 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 05:39 PM

nothing says "old pappy" like a good set of hubcaps

Edited by jabelman, January 26, 2016 - 05:40 PM.

• RAJ, Alc and HANKG have said thanks

#7 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 07:58 PM

I agree they are purely for show as they were intended, whether on a restored or original machine. Since I have many tractors - some very similar - I like to find ways to make each of them unique. Aside from typical factory options, I try to make different combinations of tire size and design, wheel weights and hubcaps, or lack thereof.

Hubcaps are not popular with everyone, but it would still be neat to see them reproduced someday with and without the brand logos.

I agree about putting a personal touch to the tractors, a little chrome here and there gives them a great look and makes them stand out of the ordinary.
  • RAJ and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#8 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 09:58 PM

Just saw a tractor with a chrome plated chain link steering wheel! Hub caps and curb feelers belong in the same category as that steering wheel in my opinion. Each person has their own likings I guess, I just tend to be a bit old fashioned and bland. Tractors just look better to me when they look like they are meant to work, and get dirty.
  • RAJ said thank you

#9 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,434 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 10:53 PM

The popularity of chrome on cars decades ago just did not catch on with tractors. Now garden tractors come with aerodynamic hoods like we might be mowing the lawn at warp speed. Why not a old Wheel Horse dripping with chrome like a '59 Desoto?

• RAJ and HANKG have said thanks

#10 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 03:46 AM

Just saw a tractor with a chrome plated chain link steering wheel! Hub caps and curb feelers belong in the same category as that steering wheel in my opinion. Each person has their own likings I guess, I just tend to be a bit old fashioned and bland. Tractors just look better to me when they look like they are meant to work, and get dirty.

For those who like to restore, most manufactures had a factory option for hubcaps , never saw chain steering wheels and curb scrapers as an option.

• RAJ and HANKG have said thanks

#11 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 05:24 PM

Again, I know opinions will vary to the extreme. I am only referring to the hubcaps as an original offering like Halfscale said and I am trying to dig up information on the supplier.

I don't know of any tractors that had an excessive amount of factory bling, but over the years they certainly did develop into a much more attractive machine than the hoodless workhorse that the garden tractor started out as. I think all the chrome and stainless decor of 1960s was used tastefully.

I am interested in learning who actually supplied the hubcaps to the manufacturer. John Deere still offers chrome hubcaps. Would it be the same manufacturer that made them for everyone else 50 some years ago?
  • KennyP said thank you