#1 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 02:09 PM

Hey Guys I had a older gentleman drop off a DB au85 continental Super Deluxe 3. Casting # on block is aa7b 648. I am thinking it is a 55 model year. the engine is painted gold.The bad part is it has sat in a barn for about 40 some years with out running.It is in good shape. But he would like to get it running. It has no spark. I am not sure of the points gap and what type of spark plug would be the right one.I did read in the manual section that the gap on early engines was .015 or .016. Any help would be great. Just trying to helpthis old fellow out. Thanks Josh
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,595 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 02:40 PM

Continental was pretty good about putting the point gap right on the coil bracket.  I was into an AU7 just two days ago and it was stamped right in the mount. 

• chieffan said thank you

#3 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 03:58 PM

I went and looked for the markings and didn't see any.It has fairbanks and morse points and condenser.
  • Gtractor and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,595 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 05:42 PM

My AU7 said .020 point gap if that helps. 

• josh deaven said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 07:37 PM

You might want to clean the points after filing and setting is clean them once more with Brakeclean , the last 2 DB that I had with no spark needed that little better cleaning , more then the white paper that I was using to finish cleaning .
  • Lauber1 said thank you

#6 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 08:24 PM

We filed the points and cleaned with paper. Not sure going to look in to the magneto.

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 09:32 PM

You might want to clean the points after filing and setting is clean them once more with Brakeclean , the last 2 DB that I had with no spark needed that little better cleaning , more then the white paper that I was using to finish cleaning .

I sometimes find that brakes parts cleaner is hard on these older systems, so I get a can of electrical contact cleaner. work pretty good.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 06:42 AM

I only wash the points contact area , do you think that will hurt them ?

• Lauber1 said thank you

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 05:43 PM

I only wash the points contact area , do you think that will hurt them ?

well sometimes I see a little swelling of the fiber parts and some streaks in the plastic items. cant say it harming them for sure, but I also cant say its not, and they don't make most of this stuff anymore.

• Alc and Pats have said thanks

#10 Pats OFFLINE  

Pats
  • Member No: 79701
  • 20 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 09:01 PM

Josh,

Curious as to if you got the AU85 fired up?

Pat

#11 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 06:17 PM

no I'm pretty much have givin up on it. I think it is going to be yard art.

• Pats said thank you

#12 Pats OFFLINE  

Pats
  • 20 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 12:50 AM

I was wondering, I'm working on an AU85 as well. Have gotten some help and advice from folks on this forum but my set up is different. Does the one you are working on happen to have a Carter N carb? Mine does and I am working on figuring out the linkage that runs from the governor to the carb.

Pat

#13 Obxdrum OFFLINE  

Obxdrum
  • Member No: 80424
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:03 PM

Hey I have a question on a Continental AU8 that I posted on another board on this site before I saw this thread.  Thought I'd repost here to see if anyone can help.

This AU8 came off a DB tractor that I'd like to get going.  The engine looks to be in excellent shape except that when the previous owner was running it one of the flyweights came off the governor and caused the engine to rev uncontrollably.  I have the weight and was able to make a new pin to attach it with a nail and a couple C clips.  However, I now realize that the governor is also missing the actuating plunger that sits in the middle of the governor and would be lifted when the flyweights move out.  This seems like something I should be able to make out of a scrap rod but I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the original plunger.  Has anyone replaced one of these or have any ideas on a bush fix?  Parts are too hard to come by.  Would love to hear any thoughts or see a close up picture of the plunger from a working engine.  Thanks for any help.

I'm attaching a picture of the inside of the governor (before I reattached the flyweight).  The part in question that I'm missing would sit inside the circular hole in the center of the governor.

AU8 Governor.JPG

By the way the inside of the governor housing on the AU8 says the points gap is .20 if that is any help to the earlier AU85 question on this thread.

#14 Pats OFFLINE  

Pats
  • 20 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 02:30 PM

Interesting. I am still working on getting my AU85 running. After reading your post I looked at my governor and noticed there are no flyweights or plunger? I'm wondering if some did not use them? Your photo shows only one flyweight. After checking the manual, the schematic shows two. Wondering why you are going with one?

Thanks

Pat

Attached Thumbnails

• Governor cap.JPG
  • Governor inside.JPG

#15 Obxdrum OFFLINE  

Obxdrum
  • Member No: 80424
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted February 03, 2016 - 02:44 PM

Thanks. My picture shows the governor before I reattached the broken flyweight. It came off on previous owner and that is what started the problem with the engine. I was able to reattach the flyweight (so that both are on and functional) - just not shown in photo. But the plunger is missing so now I'm in search of a plunger or advice on how to fabricate one. Looks like you may be in the same boat as well.